Lucid approaching Tesla Plaid Speeds, How will GT Performance do?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...dy-approaching-tesla-model-s-plaid-lap-record

Tri-motor Lucid Air already approaching Tesla Model S Plaid lap record
avatar-image-for-stephed_100440631_s.jpg

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN OCTOBER 1, 2020

i-motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763249.jpg
i-motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763244.jpg
i-motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763246.jpg
i-motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763250.jpg
i-motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763247.jpg

The rivalry between Lucid Motors and Tesla is heating up.

Last week, Tesla unveiled the 1,100-horsepower tri-motor Model S Plaid, claiming a 0-60 mph time of less than 2.0 seconds, a quarter-mile time of less than 9.0 seconds, and a top speed of 200 mph.

Lucid was already known to be developing a tri-motor version of its Air sedan, and on Wednesday the company released a video of that car testing at—where else—Laguna Seca.

A car fitted with a "development" version of the tri-motor powertrain set a lap time of 1:31.3 during a recent "chassis-testing session." That's quicker than the 1:36.5 lap set by the Model S Plaid prototype in 2019, and just a second off the 1:30.3 claimed most recently.

Lucid noted that the car rode on wider-than-stock wheels and tires (and sported fender flares to cover them), but said the tires were still street-legal. The car also used production-spec brakes, and was driven by senior mechanical engineer John Culliton, not a professional driver from outside the company, Lucid added.

The Air itself was unveiled in early September, but Lucid hasn't offered much detail on the tri-motor version.

motor-prototype-testing-at-laguna-seca_100763245_l.jpg
Lucid Air tri-motor prototype testing at Laguna Seca

The company did say that the Dream Edition, with a dual-motor powertrain and 1,080 hp, could do 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds, reach a top speed of 168 mph, and run the quarter mile in 9.9 seconds.

Tesla's Model S Plaid looks set to beat those claims, but the tri-motor Lucid Air could one-up it.

These two sedans will likely be the vanguard for electric-car performance.

Back in 2017 Tesla claimed a 1.9-second 0-60 mph time for the next Roadster, as well as a 620-mile range. But the Roadster seems to have been put on the back burner as Tesla focuses on other, higher-volume projects like the Cybertruck and Semi.

The Porsche Taycan offers sporty driving dynamics, but can't match the performance or range figures claimed by Tesla or Lucid.

The Taycan and the Model S Plaid are likely motivating factors for BMW in developing an electric version of the next-generation M5 sports sedan.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
How will the Mustang Mach-E 1500 do against theis EV?

I know that tese perfornce vehicles are expensive but are test beds for new developments that will pass down to the production vehicles. That is how performance vehicle work with all the brands, either gasoline or electric. Ford is doing this with the Mustang since 1965.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
That Lucid Air is a sexy looking car. Too bad its way outside of my price range. All things considered though, as much as I think I would love a near 2 second blast from 0-60, I don't need that kind of power (I actually can't believe I just typed that, being a speed guy). I'm fairly certain the rush of the GT will scratch my performance itch just fine.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Anyone else notice that specs released on Battery Day were just incrementally better than Lucid? Lucid is in Elon's Rearview mirror and head right now.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
That Lucid Air is a sexy looking car. Too bad its way outside of my price range.
It's not that much of a stretch relative to Mach E GT (62k vs 70k).

I'm wary of some of their claims, though. For example:
https://www.lucidmotors.com/charging/ said:
That’s why its ultrafast 900V+ architecture is designed for compatibility with the CCS standard and usable with any public charging station — the onboard Wunderbox boost charger also automatically boosts voltage so a Lucid Air will charge at the quickest possible rate wherever you might be — up to 300 miles in 20 minutes when connected to the DC fast chargers on the Electrify America network
How could stepping up the voltage internal to the car improve charging speed when the station is the source of the power? If you're getting 350kW from an 800VDC station, that means you're pulling 474 amps. You can step it up to 900 volts or 90,000 volts in the vehicle, but the current will drop proportionally. That may allow smaller internal wiring, but you're still only putting in 350kW from the station.
Sponsored

Last edited: