grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I'll check in with my source at the Cuautitlan plant this weekend. He had indicated some essential tools were stuck in Michigan and might not be at CSAP (Ford Motor Company Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant) until August. Who knows what else may be leading to the delays in scheduled delivery dates our European friends are reporting.
When you check in with your contact in Mexico perhaps you could ask him if he knows the answer to this poser. We have seen pictures on this forum of numerous preproduction cars on the road testing. Presumably these are road legal. Ford have said that they are really impressed with the quality. I would be intrigued to know what tooling has to come from Michigan that is needed to make 'production' vehicles that are different from 'preproduction'
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would be intrigued to know what tooling has to come from Michigan that is needed to make 'production' vehicles that are different from 'preproduction'
Might be to make them "at high volume". To make a few dozen for pre-production, they can do some things more manually. But when cranking out 50,000, it's all about maximizing efficiency through automation, specialized tooling, etc.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Might be to make them "at high volume". To make a few dozen for pre-production, they can do some things more manually. But when cranking out 50,000, it's all about maximizing efficiency through automation, specialized tooling, etc.
Exactly. A few dozen vs 5000/month are entirely different operations.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
RAV4 Prime offers "up to 39 miles" of EV driving as stated by Toyota. The AWD system is FWD based in that the third motor/generator does not engage the rear wheels for AWD unless slippage is detected. The system is engaged for a short duration unlike the system found in the past generation Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid. This system is no different than what is featured on the 4th generation RAV hybrid vehicles. The 2021 RAV4 Prime (PHEV) is not currently available and rumors exist that it is delayed.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It wouldn't surprise me if US deliveries end up getting pushed past Dec 31 too, but not for that reason. Even if it was ever part of the timing, it's not anymore.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
It wouldn't surprise me if US deliveries end up getting pushed past Dec 31 too, but not for that reason. Even if it was ever part of the timing, it's not anymore
I really fail to see any reason for the panic and pessimism concerning the Mach-E delivery schedule.

We are still over 5 Months from when Ford will need to have this assembly line up and running at even a modest rate to output the 5,000 or so First Editions and maybe a 2,000 Premiums they had planned for 2020.

This is a company that is capable of setting up an assembly line that can spit out a F-150 (with a much more complex drive chain) in less than 60 second, over 1,500 per day or over 40,000 a month.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Chatted with my contact in Cuautitlan today. Preparations for production are going well but slowly due to the 200 person limit on the line.

Because some essential tools are still in Michigan, the pre-production units are still being built with a mix of body parts, some made in Mexico, some in Michigan. They need to finish the pre-production run, so it's better to keep cranking those out even if it means shipping parts. So there's the answer to the question @portlandg posed. @dbsb3233: you were close.

Some of the tools were just shipped out. The last of them will probably be shipped to Cuautitlan in July.

The good news is when I joked about getting my FE as a Christmas present, my source thought it would arrive "well before Christmas".

This is right in line with the official word from the Ford spokesperson and Dave Pericak. I'm not holding my breath but it still looks good for US deliveries in 2020 :)
Sorry, the shipping to Europe takes so long ?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The RAV4 Prime is FWD base, will only go into 4WD when slip is detected and this is infrequent. When it goes into 4WD, it will be short durations as in less than 8 seconds. The Toyota is not AWD. The RAV4 Prime will not have fast charge CCS capabilities.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Doesn't seem to make much sense to put L3 charging in a PHEV that's only got a small battery + a ICE engine. The whole point of a PHEV is that you have all the combined range you need. When the battery runs out, it simply switches over to gas for another 300 miles or something (some actually run both together whenever more power is needed).

If one doesn't want to use gasoline, then getting a PHEV doesn't make much sense.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If your goal is to not burn gas, then don't buy a PHEV.
Sponsored