Advertisement

Wildthing

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona Electric
Country flag
    Featured
I'm a bit surprised that the RWD extended range is targetted slower than the standard range battery. Additionnal output don't compensate the additional weight?

P.S. Post edited with ChasingCoral latest info that we can find in "compare models" on the Ford USA website

0-60 times.JPG

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
ER battery pack comes with heavier wiring and direct connection to two motors that SR packs don't. Probably the two motors can compensate for the heavier weight but the rear-only can't. Difference is small. However, note that the image you cite uses the old numbers. The new actual test numbers are:
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.02.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.01.42 PM.png

Turns out the difference is even greater than they projected.

OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona Electric
Country flag
ER battery pack comes with heavier wiring and direct connection to two motors that SR packs don't. Probably the two motors can compensate for the heavier weight but the rear-only can't. Difference is small. However, note that the image you cite uses the old numbers. The new actual test numbers are:
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.02.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.01.42 PM.png

Turns out the difference is even greater than they projected.
Thank you. But I never saw those numbers before today. When were released your numbers? And where I can find it? Should I delete my post then?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Thank you. But I never saw those numbers before today. When were released your numbers? And where I can find it? Should I delete my post then?
They showed up on the Ford website yesterday with no announcement or fanfare.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
The extended range battery has 4 cell arrays vs 3 for the standard, so it is roughly 30% heavier, and apparently causes it to be 0.3 secs slower 0-60.

Do a satellite shot of the Romeo Proving Grounds to check on the timing runs...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The extended range battery has 4 cell arrays vs 3 for the standard, so it is roughly 30% heavier, and apparently causes it to be 0.3 secs slower 0-60.

Do a satellite shot of the Romeo Proving Grounds to check on the timing runs...
unless you add another motor being fed by that extra battery, in which case it is faster

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
Back in my drag racing days we called this "Chasing Tenths". Back in the 80s a tenth of a second over a 1/4 mile cost about $1000. Not sure what it would cost these days.

In the 5-6 second playground from 0-60 a tenth probably costs about $2000 or so.....in ICE vehicles.

In the MME's case.....it looks like a second (smaller)motor is worth 6 tenths. $2700/6=$450 per tenth of a second. Great Value
A larger battery is worth 3 tenths. $5000/3=$1667. Not bad compared to ICE but not great compared to a second motor.

It looks like the GT is going to knock off 10 tenths (full second) from the Mach E 4x time.....for only about $1000 additional ? If that is correct then it's a fantastic value compared to what is available now. This highlights the importance of dual motors/AWD for lower sprint times. A single drive axle has a traction limit so the second driven axle relieves that limitation quite a bit. Anyone who values sprint times over all else should be excited for the GT....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
Genuinely surprised at 4.8 for the premium AWD. That's getting into ICE Mustang GT territory.
Yep. That is fairly impressive. My Premium AWD will be about 5.2 seconds since it only has the standard range battery.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope the 21% faster 0-60 time in the ER AWD vs the RWD doesn't translate into 21% less range (advertised as 10% lower now).

Probably not a linear calculation. But it appears the AWD does consume more power.

KAustin

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I hope the 21% faster 0-60 time in the ER AWD vs the RWD doesn't translate into 21% less range (advertised as 10% lower now).

Probably not a linear calculation. But it appears the AWD does consume more power.
Yeah, but you're not going to be sprinting all the time.

RobertP

First Name
Robert
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicles
Saab 9-3
Country flag
In the Dutch car configurator the 0-100 km/u is now less than 6 seconds for an extended rwd. (0-100km/h equals 0-62,13mph). That converts to less than 5.8 second for 0-60mph for the extended RWD.
Maybe they made a typo... the Torque is also not measured in Mn (Nm)
Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 13.54.52.png

Advertisement