mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Wow, so much info yet very little definitive on a wider wheel on a non GT.

I have the Premium with 19x7's I live in Honolulu and the roads are terrible and slow so I want to go 18x8 with a 245-45-18. for more sidewall and tread width. The load @ 1764 lbs. is adequate.

I'm assuming: Rotiform Forged 18x8's ~ 45mm offset (should not cause any clearance issues) and a 245 tire with the same 26.6" O.D.

Any first hand knowledge or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Devon
There are quite a few posts in this forum about different wheels, including some who have put 18" wheels on. The biggest concern to think about is brake/rotor clearance since you are decreasing the space inside the wheel, and the brake/rotor assembly is not small. The offset only impacts suspension clearance. I don't have an answer for you, but just something you should investigate carefully before purchasing new wheels - unless you can return them, I guess. Buy local - you will probably be OK if the shop agrees to give you a refund if they don't fit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Wow, so much info yet very little definitive on a wider wheel on a non GT.

I have the Premium with 19x7's I live in Honolulu and the roads are terrible and slow so I want to go 18x8 with a 245-45-18. for more sidewall and tread width. The load @ 1764 lbs. is adequate.

I'm assuming: Rotiform Forged 18x8's ~ 45mm offset (should not cause any clearance issues) and a 245 tire with the same 26.6" O.D.

Any first hand knowledge or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
People have been mounting some very wide wheels on these cars without difficulty - certainly some 9.0s and 9.5s out there, and I believe one person has said that they've test fit up to 275s with good results.

For non-GTs, most 18" alloy wheels should work, though as the other poster mentioned, clearance over the brake caliper will be the main factor, and there is no common specification to tell you whether that will work or not. It will just take a test fit.

Here is a wheel size calculation showing the differences - you'll stick out about half an inch more than current, but that shouldn't be a problem. https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...55-18X8ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Also, think you want a 245/55-R18, not a 245/45-R18 if you want to hit the same OD - that is what I put in the calculator link.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi Guys
Can you guys confirm these are the lug nuts I need? I purchased a set of winter mags and the original lug nuts are too big.

733809FR White Knight 733809FR Long Spline Lug Nuts, Chrome, 20-pk — Partsource

Thanks

you've probably figured this out by now, but if you bought aftermarket wheels with small holes, the OEM nuts will not fit as they have a 1mm chrome 'cap'.....

look for nuts that have 19mm socket like these:
https://www.vmsracing.com/products/copy-of-12x1-25mm-closed-end-stainless-steel-lug-nuts?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Ya I ended up with tuner spline nuts
BTW, that 1 mm chrome "cap" makes the Mach-E's lugnuts absolute junk. I had the same capped lugnuts on my Focus RS. After 2 wheel swaps (I use snow tires and a 2nd set of wheels), my wheel shop said that "we had a REALLY hard time getting your wheels off". After 2 uses, the caps had distorted to the point of unuseability. Why are they using capped nuts? Because they're cheaper than using stainless or chromed-steel nuts. I had to wait while they sent someone out to pick up some REAL chromed lugnuts (which I had to pay for, of course). Plan on replacing any Ford lugnuts with something better (I bought real chromed spline lugnuts for my GTPE...cost me $29 for 20 non-junk nuts).

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Junk nuts for sure

ToadStool

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E GT
Country flag
With the original GT wheels being 20x8 with a +47.5 ET, an aftermarket wheel of 20x9 with a +15 ET would stick out 1.26-inches further. Best guess is the outside edge of the tire should pretty much align with the fender flare.

If I used the stock tires 245/45r20 with these aftermarket wheels what kind of issues could I expect on the road? Full-turning radius rubbing? Poking? Smashing into the wheel lip/fender flare when driving over a chuckhole? Etc.

Also, no off-roading whatsoever.

Good idea or bad?

Thanks,

Last edited:
OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
With the original GT wheels being 20x8 with a +47.5 ET, an aftermarket wheel of 20x9 with a +15 ET would stick out 1.26-inches further. Best guess is the outside edge of the tire should pretty much align with the fender flare.

If I used the stock tires 245/45r20 with these aftermarket wheels what kind of issues could I expect on the road? Full-turning radius rubbing? Poking? Smashing into the wheel lip/fender flare when driving over a chuckhole? Etc.

Also, no off-roading whatsoever.

Good idea or bad?

Thanks,
I don't think I'd recommend a +15 offset. If you look at the aftermarket wheels megathread there are a few examples of people showing that 20x9 at +35 is flush with the fender flares. +15 would be almost an inch further out than that, so I think you would have a lot of visible poke, and possible interference with the top of the fender flare, particularly if you were planning to lower later.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
With the original wheels being 20x8 and a +47.5 ET, an aftermarket wheel of 20x9 with a +15 ET would stick out 1.26-inches further.

Good idea or bad?

Thanks,
BAD idea. I went with 20x9 ET 35 wheels
I don't think I'd recommend a +15 offset. If you look at the aftermarket wheels megathread there are a few examples of people showing that 20x9 at +35 is flush with the fender flares. +15 would be almost an inch further out than that, so I think you would have a lot of visible poke, and possible interference with the top of the fender flare, particularly if you were planning to lower later.
The shots of my car, with a 20x9 +35 offset, are with 275 mm wide tires. They ARE pretty flush...
https://www.macheforum.com/site/showcase/stuffing-275s-into-a-gtpe.111/

ToadStool

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E GT
Country flag
BAD idea. I went with 20x9 ET 35 wheels

The shots of my car, with a 20x9 +35 offset, are with 275 mm wide tires. They ARE pretty flush...
https://www.macheforum.com/site/showcase/stuffing-275s-into-a-gtpe.111/
Excellent work on your GT. Very well thought out and looks great too.

You say it's a BAD idea and yes I'm rather iffy about proceeding with it. Let me ask you.

The GT's OEM wheel is 20x8 with +47.5 ET. You installed 20x9 +35 ET. If we stop here you've already extended your wheels outward by 12.5mm. But then subtracting 1/2-inch (12.5mm) of the extended wheel width, you're back to OEM offset equivalent, right? So nothing gained here just by the new wheel.

You replaced the OED 245/45r20 tires with 275/40r20 tires. Here you've added 275mm wide tires which should be a 30mm increase over the stock 245mm tire. Divided by 2 and your new tires should extend 15mm further out, correct?

So your wheel / tire combo is ultimately extended outward by 15mm. Does that sound right?

What I'm proposing for myself is.

Replace 20x8 OEM wheels and 47.5 ET with 20x9 wheels with +15 ET. That should equate to 32.5mm difference. But subtracting 1/2-inch (12.5mm) due to new rim width, I'm actually only extending my wheel outward only by 20mm or a tad more than 3/4-inch. Does that sound correct?

Assuming my premise and my math are somewhat accurate, if your wheel/tire combo extends outward by 15mm and my proposed wheel/tire combo extends mine out by 20mm, does that additional 5mm extension outward really translate to a BAD idea as you say? If so, can you share why you think it's so BAD in comparison to your own config?

Do you have any issues with your tires rubbing during full steering wheel turns? Do you suspect I might?

Do you have any concerns about your tires hitting the fender flares when going over a bump? Do you suspect I might?

What if you ran over an unexpected chuckhole in the pavement? Is it game over?

Lastly, do you think my additional 5mm (over your) outward config that I propose for myself would change anything regarding any potential concerns you may have for your config?

I'm really trying to get this right. I already owned a MME GT but sold it so I'm working off of visual memory alone. My new iced blue silver GT is due to arrive within 2 weeks. So I really just wanna ensure I'm thinking things through.

Any advice / suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Excellent work on your GT. Very well thought out and looks great too.

You say it's a BAD idea and yes I'm rather iffy about proceeding with it. Let me ask you.

The GT's OEM wheel is 20x8 with +47.5 ET. You installed 20x9 +35 ET. If we stop here you've already extended your wheels outward by 12.5mm. But then subtracting 1/2-inch (12.5mm) of the extended wheel width, you're back to OEM offset equivalent, right? So nothing gained here just by the new wheel.

You replaced the OED 245/45r20 tires with 275/40r20 tires. Here you've added 275mm wide tires which should be a 30mm increase over the stock 245mm tire. Divided by 2 and your new tires should extend 15mm further out, correct?

So your wheel / tire combo is ultimately extended outward by 15mm. Does that sound right?

What I'm proposing for myself is.

Replace 20x8 OEM wheels and 47.5 ET with 20x9 wheels with +15 ET. That should equate to 32.5mm difference. But subtracting 1/2-inch (12.5mm) due to new rim width, I'm actually only extending my wheel outward only by 20mm or a tad more than 3/4-inch. Does that sound correct?

Assuming my premise and my math are somewhat accurate, if your wheel/tire combo extends outward by 15mm and my proposed wheel/tire combo extends mine out by 20mm, does that additional 5mm extension outward really translate to a BAD idea as you say?
Changing offset by 32.5 mm pushes the entire wheel out by 32.5 mm. Going to a 9" rim (from OEM 8") pushes the outer rim OUT a further 12.5 mm and the inner rim IN a further 12.5 mm. So your rim with an ET15 would sit 45 mm further out on the outside edge, which equals a 1.77-inch push...a bad idea, yes? BTW, math was my worst subject in school...anybody object to my calcs?

ToadStool

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E GT
Country flag
Changing offset by 32.5 mm pushes the entire wheel out by 32.5 mm. Going to a 9" rim (from OEM 8") pushes the outer rim OUT a further 12.5 mm and the inner rim IN a further 12.5 mm. So your rim with an ET15 would sit 45 mm further out on the outside edge, which equals a 1.77-inch push...a bad idea, yes? BTW, math was my worst subject in school...anybody object to my calcs?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 2021/22 Wheel Sizes, Bolt Patterns, Offset, Center Bore, Load Rating, GVWR [Table] 1652410161745

Your config.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 2021/22 Wheel Sizes, Bolt Patterns, Offset, Center Bore, Load Rating, GVWR [Table] 1652409972860

My proposed config.

I heard recently that 5 out of 4 people struggle with basic math. :)

Yeah, I divided the increase in wheel width by 2 at the wrong spot. But in the end, it still looks like my config is only 1/4" or 5mm further out than yours. Which to me is a rather small difference unless it actually causes rubbing when turning.

Anyway, thanks as your thoughts and your attention to detail have helped immensely.

BTW, tiresize.com and wheel-size.com are fabulous websites. Just goes to show you can't even pick out tires / wheels these days without being some sort of rocket scientist. 40 years ago, you just walked in and said, I'll take that one..., and then pray.

Oh, yeah. My other concern is a wheel's max load. Normally not too big a deal but with the MME GT at 5000 lbs. that makes things a bit dicey. But that weight is also empty. With 4 passengers and some cargo, now we're talkin' 6000+- lbs. Most mfg'ers don't seem to publish their specs. My brain's starting to hurt again so maybe it's best not to go down that rabbit hole.

Last edited: