Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I ordered the GTA model and wanted the tire swap to all seasons instead of the summer but dealer had no clue on how to do it. Who is selling 19 inch wheels on the internet?
Did you want to swap tires, or wheels too? If your dealer doesn't know how to do that then I don't know what to say...

The GT performance edition comes with 245/45 R20 tires on the 20" x 8" rims. The load rating of the actual tires isn't known yet (none of them have shipped), but are probably 103W XL. With that you could fit any all season you'd like that matches that size, and meets or exceeds that load rating. TireRack.com is a good place to search for options, should be plenty of choices.

If you want new wheels, then it is a bit trickier - since none of these have arrived people don't know yet exactly what aftermarket wheels will fit, though the first post shows the specifications we do know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks, updated the tables with the additional data!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Here are the weights for a premium AWD Standard Range. I'm ordering wheels with a 1650 load rating so it should be fine.
The rear GAWR is 1510 lbs per wheel, which is very close to the 1650 lbs rating of the wheels. You know the stock wheels are much stronger than that, and the stock tires are rated at 1929 lbs. If I am to put new wheels on, I want them to be rated closer to the tire rating. When you drive hard, there will be a lot of force on those rear wheels...

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The rear GAWR is 1510 lbs per wheel, which is very close to the 1650 lbs rating of the wheels. You know the stock wheels are much stronger than that, and the stock tires are rated at 1929 lbs. If I am to put new wheels on, I want them to be rated closer to the tire rating. When you drive hard, there will be a lot of force on those rear wheels...
What are the stock wheels rated at? Also, what material? I see your concern but if the axle has a Gross Axle Weight Rating of 1510 per wheel, there should be similar rating (safety) factors put into the wheels as well. Any impact will be magnitudes above your rating, so driving hard isn't really something I take into account because it's not quantifiable. If I was driving my ZL1, then I would be worried, but the Mach-E isn't really here for me to go racing in. We will see, you may be right and I'll have to replace the wheels...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are the stock wheels rated at? Also, what material? I see your concern but if the axle has a Gross Axle Weight Rating of 1510 per wheel, there should be similar rating (safety) factors put into the wheels as well. Any impact will be magnitudes above your rating, so driving hard isn't really something I take into account because it's not quantifiable. If I was driving my ZL1, then I would be worried, but the Mach-E isn't really here for me to go racing in. We will see, you may be right and I'll have to replace the wheels...
I don't think there is any data from Ford regarding the weight rating of the stock wheels, but if you look at how they are built, and their weight, they should have a pretty high rating. I expect similar to what the tires are rated. But of course, I am only guessing.

I understand the MME should never exceed 1510 per wheel even with passengers and cargo, but I still would be worried about a wheel that has a small margin. Maybe my worry is unfounded, and 1650 is plenty of margin. Personally, I would look for at least 1750 or higher. In reality, a wheel rated at 1750 is only 480 lbs total over the rear GAWR.

The problem is the MME is very heavy. A normal ICE car would be lighter and have plenty of margin for those wheels.

Probably your wheels will work fine. They look great for sure! Sorry if I put a damper on your plans...

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I don't think there is any data from Ford regarding the weight rating of the stock wheels, but if you look at how they are built, and their weight, they should have a pretty high rating. I expect similar to what the tires are rated. But of course, I am only guessing.

I understand the MME should never exceed 1510 per wheel even with passengers and cargo, but I still would be worried about a wheel that has a small margin. Maybe my worry is unfounded, and 1650 is plenty of margin. Personally, I would look for at least 1750 or higher. In reality, a wheel rated at 1750 is only 480 lbs total over the rear GAWR.

The problem is the MME is very heavy. A normal ICE car would be lighter and have plenty of margin for those wheels.

Probably your wheels will work fine. They look great for sure! Sorry if I put a damper on your plans...
No worries! I already ordered the wheels lol so, most wheel manufacturers tell you to divide the highest of the two GAWR by 2 to get the load rating for their wheels. If anything, that will make your warranty with them remain intact (I assume). Let's hope I don't have to deal with warranty claims!

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m looking at 20” wheels with 5x108 thanks to the overview in this thread. But, I see a lot of different values being asked on these webshops that I can’t find in the overview. For instance I see: 10.00X19 5x108 ET20.0, 9.00X19 5x108 ET20.0, 8.50X19 5x108 ET20.0.
What exactly should I look for and know for sure they fit?
Try this wheel sizing calculator, this one is preset with the stock tires on the left and one of your choices on the right: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-19X8.5ET20&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

The numbers you are seeing are:
9.00X19 -> 9" wide, 19" diameter (compared to the 7" width of the stock wheel)
5 x 108 -> 5 holes on a 108mm diameter circle, which is correct
ET20 -> An offset of 20mm. Smaller offsets mean the hub is closer to the middle of the wheel, which means the wheel will stick out further. The stock offset for a 7" wheel is 47.5, and a wider wheel at the same offset will put half that extra width on the inside of the wheel and half on the outside.

The spec you don't see is the center bore - you need 63.4mm, or a compatible centering ring.

I'd say that those sizes you are looking at aren't a good match - the low offset means that your tires would stick out something like 4.5cm more than stock, which is probably too much. Play with the calculator to see what changing the wheel size does, look primarily at the summary below where it tells you how much closer to the various components the new tire would be.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I went with 20" x 8.5" with a 40 offset from TSW. No problems with the fit at all and the ride still seems pretty smooth with a 245/45R20 tire. Wheels weigh 24 lbs each and aren't too expensive. Also, bolt pattern is hubcentric so no centering ring was necessary and these had a 72.1 center bore.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 2021/22 Wheel Sizes, Bolt Patterns, Offset, Center Bore, Load Rating, GVWR [Table] Screenshot_20210622-213043_Photos

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went with 20" x 8.5" with a 40 offset from TSW. No problems with the fit at all and the ride still seems pretty smooth with a 245/45R20 tire. Wheels weigh 24 lbs each and aren't too expensive. Also, bolt pattern is hubcentric so no centering ring was necessary and these had a 72.1 center bore.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 2021/22 Wheel Sizes, Bolt Patterns, Offset, Center Bore, Load Rating, GVWR [Table] Screenshot_20210622-213043_Photos
I had these wheels on my list, but became too concerned about the highway range impact. Around town I think the range impact will be minimal, with most of it due to the tires and not the rims. But once you get up to highway speed, I am worried the aerodynamic resistance will be significant.

That said, they look great! Can you post more pictures? I may decide the range impact is worth it...

By the way, those look like the bronze finish. Is that right?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just FYI, the purpose of the center bore of the wheel is not to center the wheel on the axle. It it to support the shear force caused by gravity (i. e. vehicle weight) against the axle pilot. The studs/lug nuts should not be supporting the vehicle. Their purpose is to support torque (acceleration or braking) forces and cantilever (cornering) force. So if the bore of a wheel does not match the size of the axle pilot, a centering ring should be used.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I had these wheels on my list, but became too concerned about the highway range impact. Around town I think the range impact will be minimal, with most of it due to the tires and not the rims. But once you get up to highway speed, I am worried the aerodynamic resistance will be significant.

That said, they look great! Can you post more pictures? I may decide the range impact is worth it...

By the way, those look like the bronze finish. Is that right?
Thanks! Yeah, bronze finish. I think I've seen about a 10% reduction in range because all I do is highway (about 60 miles a day) but I'll keep checking that. The handling seems much better though!

Screenshot_20210623-060453_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210623-060500_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210623-060520_Photos.jpg

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Just FYI, the purpose of the center bore of the wheel is not to center the wheel on the axle. It it to support the shear force caused by gravity (i. e. vehicle weight) against the axle pilot. The studs/lug nuts should not be supporting the vehicle. Their purpose is to support torque (acceleration or braking) forces and cantilever (cornering) force. So if the bore of a wheel does not match the size of the axle pilot, a centering ring should be used.
I would double check this info... Not saying it's wrong or right. Centering rings are also made from plastic, which would raise a lot of questions and, mechanically, the force would not be able to translate from the axle to the wheel without the lug nut/wheel interface. I think it's more of a balance issue than anything else.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just passing on what I was taught and some years of dealing with high performance and race vehicles. YMMV

Yes there are plastic shim rings. IMO they are not worth the money you pay for them.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Update to the OP - adding notes about other make’s stock wheels that are confirmed or suspected fits on the MachE. This is my favorite way to get winter wheels - buy used rims from another car that fit - you get a good price and a unique look!

If you know of other vehicles where the wheels will fit (either confirmed or suspected), let me know and I’ll add to the table.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
The GT Tires are Continental CrossContact RX 245/45R20, 103H XL. Appears to be a new tire specific to the GT at this time.
Sponsored