Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah. It is.

It's enough sportier, more luxurious, and hi-tech that some of us miserly Fiesta owners were convinced to replace a perfectly workable commuter tin can with a brand new luxury expense that is valued approximately 10x more than said party-hatcher.

And yet it's neither pretentious nor do I expect high ongoing costs of ownership.
BTW, luxury wasn't even something I wanted for my next car. It wasn't until some weeks after I placed my reservation that it finally sunk in that I might be buying my first "luxury" car.

Ford could have set up the inside appearance more like a Chevy Bolt and at this starting price (now $43k) and with all the included capabilities, I would STILL be interested in buying it.

The fact that they are also giving me comfortable, beautiful appointments inside is just a (huge) added benefit.

From my point of view, Ford is so committed to success with their first fully electric, widely available model that they're not wanting to withhold anything at all.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BTW, luxury wasn't even something I wanted for my next car. It wasn't until some weeks after I placed my reservation that it finally sunk in that I might be buying my first "luxury" car.

Ford could have set up the inside appearance more like a Chevy Bolt and at this starting price (now $43k) and with all the included capabilities, I would STILL be interested in buying it.

The fact that they are also giving me comfortable, beautiful appointments inside is just a (huge) added benefit.

From my point of view, Ford is so committed to success with their first fully electric, widely available model that they're not wanting to withhold anything at all.
If luxury was my concern I would have been looking harder at the iPace. I see Jaguar as more of a luxury brand.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I posted this elsewhere but maybe our own social media campaign will help?

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 10.14.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 10.12.51 PM.png
Oh yes, there's also Mike Levine, Ford North America Product Communications manager.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 4x (Star White / Gray Interior) sighted at Phoenix dealership, with a look at range figures Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.52.01 AM

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Might be interesting to read that thread. Hard to imagine anyone thinking they would be under sized since they wouldn't be the primary braking method any longer. I mean, the owners manual isnt even going to put pad replacement on the maintenance schedule. All it is going to say is "check brake pads for wear" every so often. Those things might last 100k miles or longer on these cars.
Think again. That discussion was as bad as the Frunk organizer discussion. Glad it died.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for that explanation
If you have time, you can watch an amateur video I made a while back that talks about regen in our PHEV. Some of this info will apply to a BEV so you might find it interesting.

Pretty much all the driving was done with regen. Very little friction brakes. They blend in very well and most drivers arent aware of the transition point and that is the case with the MME. You probably wont be able to tell when the friction brakes jump in to help stop the car.

In the PHEV in this video....that point is when you see the round Brake Score graphic begin to build. Which means that almost ALL of the deceleration was accomplished via regen for this entire video.

Keep in mind this was a mild traffic situation so regen can be the primary means of slowing down the car without any concern. If I was driving more aggressively or needed to stop more quickly like to avoid a collision or something then the friction brakes provide immediate assist. You dont have to activate anything or push any buttons or anything.....the car handles all this on it's own with clever programming.

Lastly...
The larger the motor/battery, the stronger the ability to regen is. The vehicle in this video is a PHEV so very small motor and very small battery so very limited regen power. A MME with AWD and Extended range battery is going to have much much more regenerative power.

If you watch the battery pictogram....a circular recycling arrow graphic will appear to wiggle over the image. That is the regen processes. Foot is on the brake and the vehicle is reducing speed but no friction brake assistance is provided yet.

I hope you find this useful.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I go days without touching the brake pedal in the Bolt. It can do up to 70kW of regen braking force. It's a lot and it stops you fast. I've tested the temperature of the disks on a long downhill regen'ing. They were cold and dirty. I'm pretty sure they do engage in Reverse and when stopped. I've not cared enough to test it further. I do put it in 'N' and use the brakes once a month to clean them off.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I go days without touching the brake pedal in the Bolt. It can do up to 70kW of regen braking force. It's a lot and it stops you fast. I've tested the temperature of the disks on a long downhill regen'ing. They were cold and dirty. I'm pretty sure they do engage in Reverse and when stopped. I've not cared enough to test it further. I do put it in 'N' and use the brakes once a month to clean them off.
That is cool the Bolt provides a measurement of regen force. It has a pretty large motor and battery so that makes sense. The friction brakes do engage for those last few feet but if you are in 1 pedal mode then the car does it for you. If you have a scan tool then you can set the PID for ABS pressure and see exactly when that point occurs. Should be at very slow speeds....

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I like it!
As you can see "Lane Keep" was active and the car in front of me was far away, so I was safe taking that pix.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E 4x (Star White / Gray Interior) sighted at Phoenix dealership, with a look at range figures IMG_3379

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
On a side note... This poor guy Mark Levine is getting HAMMERED on the Bronco forums. I actually feel bad for him.
I quit the Bronco forum when I cancelled my order. What are they hammering him for? Orders and delivery?

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
I would send in those tweets and messages also. Should be asking for the roadshow to stop in the middle of America also.
Don't forget the southeast! ~22 million people in Florida alone and 118 Ford dealerships. Come on down Ford!!!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Agree that social isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. But taking a different view, maybe they know we’re sold already and building more awareness and buzz with others? Social marketing has been a big push from the start with this launch. Don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Who might be likely to tell their sister in law that this is the BEV for you (for all the reasons), head over to Ford Dealer to see it in person.

Those of us who are already on board and if given some warning would proselytize.
Sponsored