mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Seems like reservation slot/timestamp doesn't play a role in the ordering process. Only thing is those early reservation holders was able to reserve the FE and lock that in. Now it is free for all. You can reserve it today and order the same time as someone with a reservation in the 5000 range. So what is the point of standing in line?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The process for converting to a FE sounds kind of random. Earlier information was that converting would be by your order number/time stamp with those who made reservations first having priority. If what you said is correct, I could convert my premium right away, and lose out on a FE that someone cancels in August because they waited to cancel. And someone else who didn’t reserve until much later than me can get a FE just by luck and timing. That just sounds wrong. Im going to call later.
They'd have to bend over pretty backwards to accommodate res# priority for canceled FE snap-ups. The FEs that cancel can cancel at any time randomly in the next 9 weeks. Contacting each non-FE res holder in order each time one opens up would be impossible.

I guess they could start a separate "conversion to FE" waiting list that people could sign up for. But that's starting to get pretty convoluted for what's probably not many FE cancellations (people that reserved an FE are probably the most dedicated buyers and seem least likely to cancel). And frankly, it would be easy for Ford to say "should have just gotten in early and ordered an FE in the first place".

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems like reservation slot/timestamp doesn't play a role in the ordering process. Only thing is those early reservation holders was able to reserve the FE and lock that in. Now it is free for all. You can reserve it today and order the same time as someone with a reservation in the 5000 range. So what is the point of standing in line?
I'm guessing the res order still matters on orders converted in the first month or so. But for those that choose to wait until later to convert their reservation to an order, they can't hold up the queue for them.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm guessing the res order still matters on orders converted in the first month or so. But for those that choose to wait until later to convert their reservation to an order, they can't hold up the queue for them.
Hope that is the case. Fair for everyone that got in early. Wonder if the help line will answer how it will play out? Will make a difference in how early I order. I am in the 13k range. If I can jump ahead, will order ASAP. If not, will wait a little since I am only ordering Premium. And if the delivery is push back to same time as CA route 1, may have more choices for me.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Hope that is the case. Fair for everyone that got in early. Wonder if the help line will answer how it will play out? Will make a difference in how early I order. I am in the 13k range. If I can jump ahead, will order ASAP. If not, will wait a little since I am only ordering Premium. And if the delivery is push back to same time as CA route 1, may have more choices for me.
Let us know what they say.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
They've always indicated that reservation to order would happen around the same time for all, but that your reservation "timestamp" will be forwarded on with your order and would dictate production/delivery for your order.

So if someone with reservation 20123 converts friday, and someone with reservation 500 converts in 2 weeks, the 500 would still get produced/delivered first.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hmmm. So this leads me to believe Premium won't be manufactured this year, which means I'm probably out. I need the car by end of December. Guess i'll have to wait and see.
I think it's more like, if you wait till 12/31 or even October and have a low reserve number, you may get passed. But only to the point of people after you fulfilled until your order is final. Make sense?.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is just speculation on my part, but I've always expected sort of a hybrid application of the res priority to delivery. There were clearly issues even before the delays that made pure res priority impractical. Like for instance FEs vs Premiums. What if there's a higher res order for a Premium over an FE... which gets delivered first? And what about the European orders that were supposed to arrive simultaneously? That would have required going (somewhat) out of res order too.

I've always looked at res order as more of a "when possible" within the broader practical aspects of production and delivery. I think it's possible that within the early batch of orders (which is far enough ahead of actual production) they can arrange those in the production queue to follow res order. But once production starts, it's gonna be harder to adhere to res order.

Just my guess anyway.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
With the first editions having the shortest time for people to confirm turning the reservation into an order I can can these orders being filled and manufactured before any of the premium regardless of your reservation # as the first edition is pretty going to be fully loaded and all people have to do is determine is which color they want which dealer they want to go with.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
@hybrid2bev just answered that only 4 posts before yours on this same thread.
His info has been good so far and, frankly, his explanation happens to confirm what I would have expected.
Everything else (that it only matters for locking in FE, that it only matters for the first month, that it's a free for all) are just guesses.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
With the first editions having the shortest time for people to confirm turning the reservation into an order I can can these orders being filled and manufactured before any of the premium regardless of your reservation # as the first edition is pretty going to be fully loaded and all people have to do is determine is which color they want which dealer they want to go with.
I'm sure the line will have both FE and Premium when started up. There has to be many low reservation numbers that are not FE.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I'm sure the line will have both FE and Premium when started up. There has to be many low reservation numbers that are not FE.
Undoubtedly who knows how much of a spanner covid-19 threw into the original planned production schedules. For those of us that are in the select, route 1 and GT reservation camp I had already classed that reservation number as irrelevant in regards to any build order with the reservation just getting me within the first 50000 build allocation.

I could see ford wanting to get all the first editions out by years end and not have any go over into next year, with the premiums being built at the same time with the orders being more down to when your order gets in the system rather than your reservation #

I also certainly hope ford doesn't employ any unfair bias to trying to fulfill orders to certain states before others, just because some states purchases a lot of BEV's. I certainly don't think they should get any preferential treatment as that will make it just as bad as those manufactures that don't released BEV's to all 50 states at launch :(

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Don't worry, you'll be able to pick up a cancelled FE from your local dealer ... for the low low price of $99,999. Such a bargain keeping the ADM low enough to be under 100k!

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I just called and asked this question. The answer is not clear. She thought that the placement of the order would dictate who gets delivered first - but then why even have a timestamp and a reservation number? I REALLY wish Ford were more clear on this. She said none of the documentation she has answers that question. She also confirmed that changing to a FE will be FCFS basis.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So based on these dates, for those that wants a FE but don't have it under reservation...Sept 1st will be the best day to place the order since Aug 31st is the deadline for those with FE reservation to do the conversion. Of course constantly checking in to see if a FE is available is probably what some will do.
Sponsored