Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I was wondering...some wheels don't come 20x8.5, only 20x9 and up.....can I go 20x9 with my stock summer tires (GTPE) or will that lower the diameter too much? Is there an online calculator that will let you input both the new rim size and tire size? I haven't found one. Thanks!!
wheel-size.com
Sponsored

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
wheel-size.com
It doesn't look like this is doing what I'm asking either.

What I want to know, is if I take my 245/45R20 off a 20x8 rim and put that same 245/45R20 on a 20x9 rim, what is the circumference change (I incorrectly said diameter...but kinda the same results).

That tire is going to stretch quite a bit, so how much smaller will that diameter be on that size rim.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

What I want to know, is if I take my 245/45R20 off a 20x8 rim and put that same 245/45R20 on a 20x9 rim, what is the circumference change (I incorrectly said diameter...but kinda the same results).

That tire is going to stretch quite a bit, so how much smaller will that diameter be on that size rim.
Wheel-size should provide exactly what you are trying to evaluate. https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-20X8.5ET40&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag

Changing the wheel width will affect the amount of tire bulge in the sidewall, so the diameter will increase VERY slightly. But not by much. What's your concern? I'm going with 275/40R20's, as opposed to my original 245/45R20's. Changing from 9.5" width rims to 10" rims reduces my sidewall bulge by 4 mm per side, but the change to the circumference will be very small.

Using the wheel-size site, your circumference shows zero change.

Last edited:

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Changing the wheel width will affect the amount of tire bulge in the sidewall, so the diameter will increase VERY slightly. But not by much. What's your concern? I'm going with 275/40R20's, as opposed to my original 245/45R20's. Changing from 8" width rims to 10" rims reduces my sidewall bulge by 4 mm per side, but the change to the circumference will be very small.
Ya I wasn't sure if it would flatten the tire too much to make a difference. I doubt it, but wanted to check. :)

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Ya I wasn't sure if it would flatten the tire too much to make a difference. I doubt it, but wanted to check. :)
By flattening the sidewall due to a wider wheel, thus reducing the sidewall bulge, you'll get a slightly stiffer ride.

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
Long time lurker. Finally made the move to update the wheels.

Variant Xenon Satin Black 20 x 9 +38. 255/45r20 Continental Extreme Contact. Pleased with the outcome so far.

PXL_20220127_233002218.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220127_233015610.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220127_233029048.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220127_233042987.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220127_232947707.PORTRAIT.jpg
Looks awesome. I did a very similar wheel. Love the all black look. Mine are currently getting ceramic coated at the moment. Your car looks great. I have a AWD select. I like the matte black accents on the car. I got the Aosk mudflaps. I must say they look great and match the matte black plastic perfectly. Really helps with crap kicking up. Noticed this car kicks up a lot of stuff when the roads are a little wet. Not that we have actual weather to deal with. Love your car. Sorta wish I got black. Black always looks so sharp.

jdoll

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select RWD
Occupation
Business Owner
Looks awesome. I did a very similar wheel. Love the all black look. Mine are currently getting ceramic coated at the moment. Your car looks great. I have a AWD select. I like the matte black accents on the car. I got the Aosk mudflaps. I must say they look great and match the matte black plastic perfectly. Really helps with crap kicking up. Noticed this car kicks up a lot of stuff when the roads are a little wet. Not that we have actual weather to deal with. Love your car. Sorta wish I got black. Black always looks so sharp.
It's funny as the black was one of my last picks, but it's grown on me. Needed to spend on a company vehicle and these were getting scarce in LA in October.

First trip logged on the new rubber in today's commute. Route is down from the coast in to East LA. Residential, busy city roads, and freeway driving all mixed in. Top speeds at 80mph through much of it. Same route taken both to and from.

Range and energy consumption did better than expected given the new wheels/tires.

PXL_20220128_225157192.jpg

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
What TPS units have you guys bought?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

LS61303

First Name
LeeSonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E 4EXT Premium, Yamaha FZ07
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
The summer rubber and of course the lack of aero covers.

My GTPE is DMG. I'm still shopping for wheels. Considering the Savini BM14 but really have trouble deciding between gloss black and double dark tint (or TSW Neptune in semi gloss black - although those bronze look very nice!). I haven't seen a pic with a DMG and double dark tint yet.
The BM14's are the exact wheels I bought to go with my Star White Metallic. I went with double dark tint, but could see how that might be too much of the same color on a DMG. I really like the simple look of the BM14s though, super excited to get them fit on. I live in the same city as the Tire Rack HQ, but even they have no idea when I am going to be getting them, or my 255 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.... Must. Be. Patient.

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
These are the ones I bought for my Focus RS, GT500 and Mach-E wheels.

These are all metal, very short stems. My wheels are always gloss black and they match perfectly. Also the shorter they are, the less noticeable. These are more expensive than the longer, plastic/rubber types.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-315mhz-T...stang-GT-Gloss-Black-Valve-Stems/123624604932
How do you know what TPMS sensor work? I-m hoping to get a set from Amazon so I can have them on or before Friday, but I dont know how to shop for them since the Mch-e is not specifically mentioned.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How do you know what TPMS sensor work? I-m hoping to get a set from Amazon so I can have them on or before Friday, but I dont know how to shop for them since the Mch-e is not specifically mentioned.
As long as they are 315 MHz sensors, they should work. I did not even have to program the ones I got. All my cars automatically recognized them and have been working fine. Even if you do have to program them, it is easy to do.
Sponsored