Mach-E and Tesla Charging using same home charger?

Baseball1516

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
My apologies if this has been answered before. I am planning on buying a Mach E next week and plan on doing home charging using the supplied 240v charger. I also plan on buying a model 3 early next year.
My question is am I able to use the supplied Mach E charger to charge my Tesla from home? Thanks in advance.
Brian
Sponsored

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
My apologies if this has been answered before. I am planning on buying a Mach E next week and plan on doing home charging using the supplied 240v charger. I also plan on buying a model 3 early next year.
My question is am I able to use the supplied Mach E charger to charge my Tesla from home? Thanks in advance.
Brian
Sure, you'd just need to use the J1772 adapter that the Tesla comes with

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Perhaps, using an adapter. I know the opposite works, there are youtube videos about that. But then your wiring and breaker box need to be upgraded to provide enough power to charge two cars at the same time.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Are you using a NEMA 14-50? There's also some dual chargers out there you might consider if you have 2 EVs. I think there's a Chargepoint and maybe Grizzl-E one ? That way you could charge both at once if you needed

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Brian
Another way to do this is to have a NEMA 14-50 240v outlet. Then both the Mach-e and Tesla have adapters for their mobile chargers that plug into this outlet. In fact it is the only 240v outlet that the Ford mobile charger plugs into. Also some chargers on the market also plug into this outlet. You need 50A wiring and breakers for this outlet, usually installed by an electrician and always with a permit. If you go this route get a high quality outlet since you will be plugging and unplugging a lot.

OP
OP

Baseball1516

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
Are you using a NEMA 14-50? There's also some dual chargers out there you might consider if you have 2 EVs. I think there's a Chargepoint and maybe Grizzl-E one ? That way you could charge both at once if you needed
I planned on using a NEMA. Electrician is coming out on Saturday. Would be nice to be able to charge both at the same time, but probably don’t have a real need for that. Thanks for the help.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I planned on using a NEMA. Electrician is coming out on Saturday. Would be nice to be able to charge both at the same time, but probably don’t have a real need for that. Thanks for the help.
There are multiple chargers out there that has 2 plugs on it. If there is 1 car plug it then it will charge it at full power (48 or 40 amps) if there are 2 cars plugged in each car gets 1/2 the power so they both can charge at the same time but at slower pace.
the 48 amp is for the hard wire and 40 amp for the Nema-14-50 plugs.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You could get this or similar, it has two charging cords: https://store.clippercreek.com/40-amp-dual-charging-station-14-50

Runs off one 14-50 outlet, charge rates are handed off intelligently. You can always buy just a standard EVSE now and upgrade to that later if you want. As others have said, the Tesla will come with an adapter so you can use that with a standard J1772 cord.

Alternative is to hardwire two junction boxes on one circuit with two EVSEs that can intelligently communicate to share the circuit. One 60 or 70A (#6 wire) circuit should handle two cars with overnight charging for most people.
Sponsored