Mach-E AWD vs Tesla Model 3 AWD vs XXXX ?

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
Sponsored

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I think the Mach-E and the ID.4 are the closest competitors to the Model Y in terms of price, size, and general availability. I think Hyundai/Kia have some really attractive models coming out toward the end of the year (New Ionic looks great IMO) but doesnt match the timeframe/availability requirement.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I picked the Mach-E because of ride quality.
This is why I preferred the Mach-E over the Y. The Y to me rode like a brick, way rougher than my old Grand Cherokee on All-Terrain tires. Also the rear visibility on the Y was an automatic no-go.

I could go for a car too though, the 3 is obviously more nimble and lighter than the Mach-E

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I've always been told not to buy the first year of a new vehicle, obviously the Mach-E is brand new and is Ford's first EV as well. Has there been any big issues so far? I would also assume maybe if I get a Mach-E in a couple months some of the initial kinks would be worked out?

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
This is why I preferred the Mach-E over the Y. The Y to me rode like a brick, way rougher than my old Grand Cherokee on All-Terrain tires. Also the rear visibility on the Y was an automatic no-go.

I could go for a car too though, the 3 is obviously more nimble and lighter than the Mach-E
The Tesla is definitely faster, however, the Mach-E is faster than any other car I owned. Also, with one kid still in collage, An SUV is a plus.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
Welcome! You'll definitely find TONS of comparisons between the various cars on this forum. Give it a search.
We have a few users here who have the Mach-E in Colorado. I think if it were between the Y and the Mach-E, you'd have a closer comparison. But since you're comparing a 3, I'd consider:

• The 3 has a longer range than the MME, and is a sedan
  • The MME has higher ground clearance than the 3, and is an SUV
  • The new 3 has a heat pump, which could help range in cool (but not very cold) weather
  • The MME has Android auto / Apple Carplay
  • Traction will be similar
  • The 3 will be faster, unless you opt for the standard range RWD 3
If it were Y vs MME, I'd say get the MME no question. And if it's build quality you're concerned about, get the MME over the 3, no question.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Welcome! You'll definitely find TONS of comparisons between the various cars on this forum. Give it a search.
We have a few users here who have the Mach-E in Colorado. I think if it were between the Y and the Mach-E, you'd have a closer comparison. But since you're comparing a 3, I'd consider:

• The 3 has a longer range than the MME, and is a sedan
  • The MME has higher ground clearance than the 3, and is an SUV
  • The new 3 has a heat pump, which could help range in cool (but not very cold) weather
  • The MME has Android auto / Apple Carplay
  • Traction will be similar
  • The 3 will be faster, unless you opt for the standard range RWD 3
If it were Y vs MME, I'd say get the MME no question. And if it's build quality you're concerned about, get the MME over the 3, no question.
That's one thing I actually don't know about the MME, does it use a heat pump or resistive heating?

Build quality is a big concern, whatever I purchase I would like to pay it off an own it long term. If I was just leasing or something I probably wouldn't care.

The MME definitely fits the performance bill, even though the 3 is faster the MME is really quick and I thought felt much faster than the Y. One thing I like about the 3 is the 350 miles of range vs 270-300.

Does the MME have anything like "Dog mode"? It sounds gimmicky but I think I would use that a lot for my dogs while running into the shops and such. Could I just leave the MME climate control on and locked?

Thanks

jeremyF

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I agree with others, the more direct comparison is Mach E vs Model Y. I test drove both, and bought a Mach E. I liked the Ford more, and the $7500 Federal tax credit still applies to the Ford. I also would have been right on the edge of the $60,000 purchase price limit for my Delaware tax credit ($2500) if I went with the Model Y. My Mach E purchase price was comfortably below the limit.

My notes were/are:

- Mach E is more comfortable
- Model Y had more storage room
- I preferred the Mach E driving experience more.. I didn't like the single screen Model Y system
- In my brief testing, the self-driving capabilities were similar. Tesla's re-creation of the surroundings in real-time on the screen was cooler though (try driving past traffic cones in a Tesla sometime!)
- I don't intend to use my Mach E for a lot of long-distance driving. If I did, that would be a strong point in Tesla's favor. Their charging network is extensive, and it appears to 'just work'.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

Thanks
Since I'm in Denver, I'll just add quickly that local VW dealers are getting VW ID.4's for test drives now and VW is doing an ID.4 tour with stops at Denver in May. You can also order a Polestar 2 to test drive and they will bring it to you.

That being said here are the reasons I eliminated some of these competitors.

Model 3 - I needed an SUV

Model Y - Didn't like the ride or the interior

Polestar 2 - Fast, but lots of road noise and huge center console. No service centers in Denver (or much anywhere)

VW ID.4 - Less range, not as fast, and some have commented it is more "cheaply" made

The non-Tesla charging network around Denver and Colorado is pretty great. In fact, I think it is better in many ways than Tesla. However, right now, it is lacking if you need to make trips north into Wyoming or the Dakotas.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
One is a sedan and one is an SUV. Aside from both running on batteries, they're pretty different vehicles and only you would know which driving style you prefer.

I definitely wanted an SUV, so it really came down to the Mustang Mach-E vs tesla model Y. For me personally, my part of the country (greater NYC area) is absolutely inundated with Teslas, to the point that it actively turned me away from the brand. The federal tax credit for the Mustang plus my general dislike of the tesla brand made my choice relatively easy.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
One is a sedan and one is an SUV. Aside from both running on batteries, they're pretty different vehicles and only you would know which driving style you prefer.

I definitely wanted an SUV, so it really came down to the Mustang Mach-E vs tesla model Y. For me personally, my part of the country (greater NYC area) is absolutely inundated with Teslas, to the point that it actively turned me away from the brand. The federal tax credit for the Mustang plus my general dislike of the tesla brand made my choice relatively easy.
I agree and understand but I actually don't really consider the MME much of an SUV. The Model 3 has 5.5in ground clearance and the MME is 5.7, most "SUVS" are in the 7-8+ in range. It does have a hatchback and larger trunk of course but the vehicles are similar enough to me.

I know the Y is the most direct comparison, just didn't like that at all so it wasn't even in my consideration.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Since I'm in Denver, I'll just add quickly that local VW dealers are getting VW ID.4's for test drives now and VW is doing an ID.4 tour with stops at Denver in May. You can also order a Polestar 2 to test drive and they will bring it to you.
Do you know if it's the RWD or AWD ID.4 version?

Thanks

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Do you know if it's the RWD or AWD ID.4 version?

Thanks
It was the RWD at Tynan's in Aurora. I haven't checked the others. On the tour, they will likely have AWD versions.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Since I own both, I personally think either one is a good choice.
I think you need to ask what is most important for your every day needs.

If carrying cargo is important, The MME with liftgate is much better to load then in the trunk of Model 3. The frunk is bigger (especially deeper) in the MME.

As stated above, Model 3 has a heat pump but that probably is not a big issue except on long trips.

Depending on which Mach-E you are looking at, it may be quite a bit less expensive than the Model 3. You can get a MME Select AWD for less than the Model 3 AWD (available in only LR battery). Along with a lower base price you can claim the $7500 tax credit bring the price difference even further. Even a Premium SR AWD can come at a less cost with the credit.

The Tesla OTA have been a big plus and I expect Ford to be the same once they move past the current slow cautious rollouts they are doing now.

If you live in a large metropolitan area, service with either is not a hassle. There are more Ford dealers than Tesla service centers, but the Tesla mobile service technician do a good job and very convenient. Tesla actually upgraded my hardware computer at my house.

A lot will be personal preference. Do you mind not having driving information directly in front of driver and just off to the right? Do you prefer the style of one over another. Obviously, I don't mind the styling on the Tesla (I do think Model 3 is slightly better than Model Y, it is not as bloated appearance), but the MME is very beautiful especially with the Mustang influence. The ride height is higher in MME plus slightly easier to get into. The Tesla may get slightly better efficiency since the front motor turns on when needed but off when not, the MME has both motors operating at all times.

Charging is really not different between the two for everyday charging (L1 and L2) and once the non Tesla DCFC Networks get built out even further the slight advantage Tesla has on road trips will be getting much smaller.
Sponsored