Mach-E AWD vs Tesla Model 3 AWD vs XXXX ?

Tman317

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have to wonder how much is really common out there vs the forums. I think of car forums with all the issues sometimes like apartment reviews. Only people with bad reviews review apartments, so they all have terrible reviews on the different websites
I agree, which is why I would like to see some actual data. Also a lot of owners who say they have problems state they love the car.
Sponsored

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
I wanted a Polestar 2 forever... but I can not buy a car unless I have touched and drove the one I am going to buy. Cars aren't to the point that they are 100% identical off the assembly line right? Especially on a first year model.

I signed up for the Polestar mailing list with the 1 (which is still something I would really like) and when they announced the 2 I was all on board. I got tired of waiting for them to get test drives on the east coast near me. We were supposed to get them early in DC but I think COVID may have changed that... last I had heard was Jan 2021 and they still didn't get here, so Mach E it was.

The lack of a service center issue was another added factor. Manhattan is nowhere near DC when it comes to car repair.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
It was the RWD at Tynan's in Aurora. I haven't checked the others. On the tour, they will likely have AWD versions.
I test drove an ID.4 about a month ago when the tour was in my area. RWD only - the AWD version keeps getting pushed back and now is estimated at Oct-Dec. There won't be one to test drive in May.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
This is why I prefer to lease an EV at this stage of the game. Less risk.
Starting to wonder if I'm a bit too early. The lease prices seem really high to me, and you don't get the full state or fed tax credit.

I guess if I bought something I have 3-4 years while it's under full warranty, if it ends up having lots of issues I could just trade it in. I know at least the Teslas seem like retain value pretty well, probably MME too.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Starting to wonder if I'm a bit too early. The lease prices seem really high to me, and you don't get the full state or fed tax credit.

I guess if I bought something I have 3-4 years while it's under full warranty, if it ends up having lots of issues I could just trade it in. I know at least the Teslas seem like retain value pretty well, probably MME too.
That's why the Ford options plan was created. YOU get the full $7500, but you can walk away from the car at the end of the term if you want. The rates are higher than a typical lease, but to compensate for that they are offering incentive cash on options that they aren't offering on the lease or straight financing.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I also really like the fact that there are no Polestar dealerships. They operate much like Tesla, so there's no nonsense or shenanigans. The customer experience they offered me was quite impressive.

But in the end you must choose what's right for you. I just didn't want you to overlook this impressive EV.
I looked into buy a Polestar II but was shocked to find they only have 4 service centers in the entire country! And they won't come to your house or place of work to service it. I live over 1000 miles from the nearest service center. That's a non-starter right there.

Please explain how this is an advantage? I don't think they are selling enough Polestars for it to make sense to expand their service network.

I would only consider a Polestar if I lived near one of the four service locations and I only wanted to use the car locally (due to the very short range). New EV buyers (not saying you are one) need to realize that no one regularly uses the entire range from 100% charge to dead battery so a range of barely over 200 miles becomes quite limiting and inconvenient unless the car is only for local travel anyway.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I haven't spent much time on the rest of the forum yet, are there some common issues on a lot of MMEs?

It's such a dilemma on one hand you have Tesla who has more experience with EVs, but is also wishy washy on quality and possible long term reliability.
As a Tesla owner I follow the stories about low build quality and think they have been over-amplified and over-blown. By quite a bit. I don't want to get in a debate over this with someone citing questionable media articles, Twitter reports, etc. because I know they have cranked out a lot of cars and there were certainly some issues, mostly cosmetic stuff, but it's also true the media and Tesla short-sellers have amplified those stories to the hilt and that has created a false impression.

As to long-term reliability, I have less concern than any gas car I've ever purchased and it's pretty obvious Tesla put the money into quality where it matters while saving money on things like the sparse interior. I have no concerns about long-term reliability.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I looked into buy a Polestar II but was shocked to find they only have 4 service centers in the entire country! And they won't come to your house or place of work to service it. I live over 1000 miles from the nearest service center. That's a non-starter right there.

Please explain how this is an advantage? I don't think they are selling enough Polestars for it to make sense to expand their service network.

I would only consider a Polestar if I lived near one of the four service locations and I only wanted to use the car locally (due to the very short range). New EV buyers (not saying you are one) need to realize that no one regularly uses the entire range from 100% charge to dead battery so a range of barely over 200 miles becomes quite limiting and inconvenient unless the car is only for local travel anyway.
I understand. I’m in LA so I’m actually near one of those select few service centers.

A non AWD version will be coming out soon that will offer much more range, FWIW.

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will say this about Tesla's quality issues. They will repair it no questions asked, even on used Tesla's.

I think it comes down to range and utility. The Model 3 has a lot of trunk space but that's pretty much it. The Mach-E will carry more and will most likely be able to go places the Model 3 can't.

As far as range, these charging issues with the Mach-E should be taken into consideration.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Tesla also does have a slightly better warranty, 4 years for everything and 8 years 120K miles for powertrain and battery.

I think Ford's is 3 years for everything, 5 years 60K for powertrain, and 8 years 100K miles for battery

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a Tesla owner I follow the stories about low build quality and think they have been over-amplified and over-blown. By quite a bit. I don't want to get in a debate over this with someone citing questionable media articles, Twitter reports, etc. because I know they have cranked out a lot of cars and there were certainly some issues, mostly cosmetic stuff, but it's also true the media and Tesla short-sellers have amplified those stories to the hilt and that has created a false impression.

As to long-term reliability, I have less concern than any gas car I've ever purchased and it's pretty obvious Tesla put the money into quality where it matters while saving money on things like the sparse interior. I have no concerns about long-term reliability.
It's mostly media and click bait since they know putting 'Tesla' in the subject line generates clicks and assorted conversations. Look at Consumer Reports, who reports the Model Y as an unreliable vehicle, and then another article lists the owner's satisfaction as top tier.

Most of the build issues are long gone with the 2018 Model 3 launch. There are still issues, no debating that, but it's no different than other cars. Look at the Mach-E glass roof, screen buzz, rear panel hatch alignment, etc. I picked up a 2nd Tesla, 2021 Model 3 Performance. The build quality was amazing except the front driver's door needs a minor alignment. No big deal. Mobile service is coming out Tuesday to readjust it. No need to drive to a service center, they come to me.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
It's mostly media and click bait since they know putting 'Tesla' in the subject line generates clicks and assorted conversations. Look at Consumer Reports, who reports the Model Y as an unreliable vehicle, and then another article lists the owner's satisfaction as top tier.

Most of the build issues are long gone with the 2018 Model 3 launch. There are still issues, no debating that, but it's no different than other cars. Look at the Mach-E glass roof, screen buzz, rear panel hatch alignment, etc. I picked up a 2nd Tesla, 2021 Model 3 Performance. The build quality was amazing except the front driver's door needs a minor alignment. No big deal. Mobile service is coming out Tuesday to readjust it. No need to drive to a service center, they come to me.
True, build defects were higher on early deliveries. But even the early build issues were over-amplified in the media in a way that I don't see with the Mach-e. If all you knew was what the media and social media constantly parroted, you might think they actually were shoddily build cars. In reality, 99% of the issues were minor cosmetic issues that were subsequently repaired by Tesla (and even the minor issues were not nearly as prevalent as most assumed).

My wife and I both got early build Model 3's with zero issues, cosmetic or otherwise. I got my M3 Performance as soon as they were available in 2018. While it's true that Tesla sold those early Performance models without having Performance badges ready, I just drove it without a rear badge. After they became widely available, I used my phone app to summon a Tesla Tech to my house and he put the Performance badge on while I worked inside my home. Nice!

Consumer reports has a strange definition of reliability. On the survey you mention, they counted every minor cosmetic problem as a reliability issue. If the paint had a pinhole bubble in it, that dinged the "reliability" rating. New owners were so worried, some were actually inspecting their new car from 6 inches away with gap calipers! I think the way Consumer Reports defined "Reliability" misled a lot of consumers because they are actually one of the most reliable cars on the road.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I really like the Mach-E, but I'm also considering the Audi Q4 Etron and Kia EV6.

Last edited:

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
I love my MME, but I only have about 3,500 miles, so...? I think either choice will be fine.
Sponsored