Mach-E AWD vs. Toyota RAV4 Prime

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
The lease on my wife's Volt matured in May and we returned it. Having owned a BEV for about 9 months, PHEV is a bit of a kludge. Use a fork or a spoon, not a spork.
Sponsored

GTMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE in DMG
Country flag
If they made the Mach E part time AWD and you are just driving around town, could the front motor be charging the battery as the rear motor powers you down the road?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
If they made the Mach E part time AWD and you are just driving around town, could the front motor be charging the battery as the rear motor powers you down the road?
No. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Using the front motor as a generator would impose a commensurate load on the rear.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Perpetual motion. What a great idea!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The mach e and system is expected to be auto and part time 4wd

Bond007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RDX
Country flag
All this talk about AWD and True 4 WD will be redundant when vehicles with 4 motors enter the field (such as Rivian, and other pick ups). There won’t be a question (or even discussion) about which system is superior in any particular situation as an independent motor at each wheel is the epitome of AWD.

Bond007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RDX
Country flag
That is as absurd as using a wind energy turbine to capture the energy in wind created by a large electric fan. That’s basic physics.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
All this talk about AWD and True 4 WD will be redundant when vehicles with 4 motors enter the field (such as Rivian, and other pick ups). There won’t be a question (or even discussion) about which system is superior in any particular situation as an independent motor at each wheel is the epitome of AWD.
I'm not convinced that four motors makes sense for most EVs. A dual motor setup with a single motor on each axle seems pretty simple. In my mind, quad motors at the wheels starts adding more complexity back into things but tbh, I don't know enough to definitively say.

Back to the RAV4 Prime which Car & Driver tested as 0-60 in 5.4 seconds...the RAV4 Prime has a 53hp rear motor, the AWD Select and Premium cars have a 50kW (67hp) front motor which seems fine but not spectacular in comparison.

Ford is going to have to exceed target specs now on the Select/Premium MME AWD to be superior off the line compared to the RAV4 Prime.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The setup that I have seen for vehicles with 4 motors results in the motor being "unsprung" weight, which is detrimental to handling. Part of the reason that people buy light wheels is to reduce unsprung weight. In a truck this won't be as much impact as is a lighter car. I don't think this is the case with a motor for each axle, there are transaxles between the motor and the unsprung wheels

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread to say that I just put a deposit on a RAV4 Prime for my wife. We’ll be replacing her non-hybrid Pacifica. It will be interesting to compare the Prime to the MME even though they’re completely different vehicles. It should arrive in about a month.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread to say that I just put a deposit on a RAV4 Prime for my wife. We’ll be replacing her non-hybrid Pacifica. It will be interesting to compare the Prime to the MME even though they’re completely different vehicles. It should arrive in about a month.
Make sure it can handle the torque and your driving style. The RAV4 Prime overloads the AWD so a sharp turn from a stop, especially in the wet, and you're car will look like a cartoon character on ice. Savage Geese did a good demo of that in his review.

Personally, I can't buy one because of the headroom on anything but the base models. The moonroof just eats it up.

I'm probably gonna wait for the Lexus NX in 2022 which has the same engine because I doubt Lexus would let a car go out like that.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Make sure it can handle the torque and your driving style.
My wife will be driving it most of the time. She hasn’t rolled her FWD Pacifica, so I think she’ll be fine. The RAV4 Prime actually has more horsepower than my MME (and can tow).

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
RAV4 Prime has some pretty interesting specs as a PHEV that make it a good cross shopping competitor against the Mustang Mach-E AWD. Consumer Reports says it may be the best RAV4 they've tested.
  • 302hp
  • 5.6 seconds 0-60 (multiple media tests).
  • 42 miles of EV range
  • 600 miles total range
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33028735/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-xse-by-the-numbers/

https://www.consumerreports.org/suvs/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-review/
I think the RAV4 Prime is a comparable vehicle to the MME. Yes, one is an EV and the other is a PHEV, but the are similar in features and quality. In my opinion, the MME beats the RAV4 Prime overall, but there are trade-offs for each. Not going to do that comparison in detail.

I was on the path to buy the Toyota, but when the dealer wanted $10K over MSRP. I told them to call when they wan a guaranteed sale but at MSRP. I talked to several dealers and no one wanted to sell me a car. Their greed has caused them to lose a sale. Fast forward a year, and I am now going to head down to the Ford the dealer in late September.
Sponsored