Country flag
That's Canadian $$$? If so, its way cheaper than here. $50,495 == $37,192 US

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
A premium with extended battery and AWD is $52,721.30 after currency conversion rate (and that amount includes destination and delivery fees) in Canada. The same car in the USA would be $58,800.

The option to add an extended battery and AWD is only $7,000 Canadian dollars compared to $7,700 in the US and each Canadian dollar is currently worth less than 3/4 the value of an American dollar. Welcome to the USA, where we get ripped off on everything from medicine to automobiles!

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That is why Government incentives can often be a waste of money and is really just a corporate handout... if they didn't exist, companies would just charge a lower price. They just bake that into their calculations for what price to set in a given region so you are not really "saving" $7,500.
Yes, it is absolutely a government subsidy to the manufacturer to help defray the R&D costs. $11 billon is a lot of money for a company to absorb, so the Fed is kicking some in. But, rather than a direct handout, the manufacturer only gets the money if people like and thus buy the car. Otherwise they would just pocket the money and never bother to build anything compelling. In the end the result is manufacturers build desirable cars like Tesla and the MME instead of crap compliance cars, which benefits everyone. Well, everyone who likes to breathe clean air or have cheap plentiful food from a stable climate.

It's no different than the huge contracts awarded by NASA in the 60's or the DOD since the 1940's: pushing cash into the private sector for cutting edge innovations ensures a competitive private sector, as well as encouraging the best and brightest engineers and scientists from around the world to come where those innovations happen. Unfortunately a bunch of shortsighted CEO's have realized it is much easier to cash in by selling your patents and IP to a foreign company, which is why the giant lead in electronics, aeronautics, etc from the Apollo era is long gone. Back then RCA wasn't a punchline and "made in china" didn't exist on anything other than cheap souvenirs.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Yes, it is absolutely a government subsidy to the manufacturer to help defray the R&D costs. $11 billon is a lot of money for a company to absorb, so the Fed is kicking some in. But, rather than a direct handout, the manufacturer only gets the money if people like and thus buy the car. Otherwise they would just pocket the money and never bother to build anything compelling. In the end the result is manufacturers build desirable cars like Tesla and the MME instead of crap compliance cars, which benefits everyone. Well, everyone who likes to breathe clean air or have cheap plentiful food from a stable climate.

It's no different than the huge contracts awarded by NASA in the 60's or the DOD since the 1940's: pushing cash into the private sector for cutting edge innovations ensures a competitive private sector, as well as encouraging the best and brightest engineers and scientists from around the world to come where those innovations happen. Unfortunately a bunch of shortsighted CEO's have realized it is much easier to cash in by selling your patents and IP to a foreign company, which is why the giant lead in electronics, aeronautics, etc from the Apollo era is long gone. Back then RCA wasn't a punchline and "made in china" didn't exist on anything other than cheap souvenirs.
Clearly the politicians want citizens to think it is all about saving ordinary American’s money instead of it being about encouraging corporations to change their ways and develop new technologies. If it simply exists to defray the costs of R&D, and encourage automakers to actually sell the cars, then there would be no need for individuals (customers) to apply for an income tax credit. Automakers could simply report to the government how many vehicles they sold (they already do that regardless if people file for the credit) and the government could write them a check directly.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Clearly the politicians want citizens to think it is all about saving ordinary American’s money instead of it being about encouraging corporations to change their ways and develop new technologies. If it simply exists to defray the costs of R&D, and encourage automakers to actually sell the cars, then there would be no need for individuals (customers) to apply for an income tax credit. Automakers could simply report to the government how many vehicles they sold (they already do that regardless if people file for the credit) and the government could write them a check directly.
Yes, by presenting it as a carrot to consumers it helps to encourage a change in behavior - buyers will feel an incentive to buy one instead of an ICE. Stoking demand is an important component to accomplishing what is necessary- it is more effective over a massive direct tax break to a giant conglomerate that is kept quiet.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just for curiosity I went online and did a build and price in Windsor. Premium AWD ER with infinite blue and interior protection package came up to $72145 CAD which right now is $53141. It didn't include destination fees and I'm not sure what the taxes are in Canada compared to Michigan, but I doubt there is much incentive to drive across the ambassador bridge searching for the better deal.

Curiously though, via the Canada portal the first edition was showing as on option....

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag
Just for curiosity I went online and did a build and price in Windsor. Premium AWD ER with infinite blue and interior protection package came up to $72145 CAD which right now is $53141. It didn't include destination fees and I'm not sure what the taxes are in Canada compared to Michigan, but I doubt there is much incentive to drive across the ambassador bridge searching for the better deal.

Curiously though, via the Canada portal the first edition was showing as on option....
Ontario is 13% tax

LINK

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I noticed the California RT1 model has black wheels, but apparently still no heated seats.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A premium with extended battery and AWD is $52,721.30 after currency conversion rate (and that amount includes destination and delivery fees) in Canada. The same car in the USA would be $58,800.

The option to add an extended battery and AWD is only $7,000 Canadian dollars compared to $7,700 in the US and each Canadian dollar is currently worth less than 3/4 the value of an American dollar. Welcome to the USA, where we get ripped off on everything from medicine to automobiles!
I think there is an error there. The ER battery with RWD is $7,000 and they say the samething for the ER battery with AWD, From what I know I believe this option is more like $9,000.

Last edited:

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Yes and I think I saw that too on the Mustang Mach E packaging Guide that was posted. So for those who reserved a Premium they can basically transform it in a FE with this Option package ???