OP

JryErok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME SR RWD Lucid Red
Country flag
a. wonder what the cause was ?
b. putting it out with water is just a really bad idea ...
a. I don't think the cause was determined, I could not find any information on this. But it would be nice if Ford investigated this further.
b. Why? AFAIK this is how it is usually done with EVs and it seemed to work at least on this case.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
There is no charger at that gas station, which makes it quite clear that the car was not charging. Nobody got hurt and the fire was put out quickly. Still, very unfortunate, especially that there are not that many Mach-Es in Poland (745 sold in 2022).

Article in Polish: https://moto.trojmiasto.pl/Pozar-elektrycznego-Mustanga-na-stacji-paliw-n178577.html .
Oof that isn’t a pretty sight. Definitely the first Mach E fire I have heard of. Anyone speak polish to translate? Curious what the cause was.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E caught fire in Gdańsk, Poland IMG_8529

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Very interesting. Looks like the fire was put out, so maybe not a thermal runaway event?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It doesn't look like it completely burned the car up and with every other battery fire I've seen (on other manufacturers) the fire just has to burn itself out. Makes me wonder if it wasn't actually the battery.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
a. I don't think the cause was determined, I could not find any information on this. But it would be nice if Ford investigated this further.
b. Why? AFAIK this is how it is usually done with EVs and it seemed to work at least on this case.
electrical fires are best extinguished with foam/chemical spray to cut off oxygen.... using water is generally not effective as they rarely have enough volume.

with the flames coming out the back initially..... maybe the motor, or a bad connector ?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oof that isn’t a pretty sight. Definitely the first Mach E fire I have heard of. Anyone speak polish to translate? Curious what the cause was.
IMG_8529.jpeg
Per google translate, they extinguished the fire and cooled the battery below 30c in about 2 hours with no special equipment. Battery temperature didn't increase after the fire was extinguished. Nobody was hurt.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
electrical fires are best extinguished with foam/chemical spray to cut off oxygen.... using water is generally not effective as they rarely have enough volume.

with the flames coming out the back initially..... maybe the motor, or a bad connector ?
Same thought. I don't think this is an actual HVB fire.

OP
OP

JryErok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME SR RWD Lucid Red
Country flag

This gives a little bit more information. I've translated the text from the screenshot:

"Ford Mach-e battery caught fire this afternoon. Firefighters extinguished and then cooled the cells for several dozen minutes. It took 2 hours in total. Consumption of several m3 of water. After measuring the temperature dropped below 30 degrees C and does not rise anymore. The car was moved on rollers and is now waiting for a tow truck. The interior of the car is untouched, some melted plastic under the hood. A spokesman for KM PSP in Gdańsk is on site, who reported the incident to me. According to the new recommendations, the container was not used to submerge the car, because it was not necessary. Now the car will be placed in the parking lot 5m from other vehicles and the temperature of the battery will be controlled.".

Not every battery fire leads to burning the whole car down. This was another such example: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-catches-fire-on-highway.25421/ .

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
It’s interesting that the default position for press etc is every EV car fire is battery related!

EVs are capable of catching fire for other reasons, just like ICE vehicles are.

Fire investigation takes forensically trained experts hours and much dismantling to properly determine cause of fire and cannot be done in minutes by fire fighters who opt for a cause simply for their own statistical and administrative function.

I followed many (virtually every) fire fighters in cases whose reported causes of fires are wrong.

One such case was an ICE car which they said turbocharger was cause of fire when turbo was entirely intact yet much of rest of engine bay was gutted by fire with evidence of ignition source elsewhere - impossible!! Fire burns up and out from its source.

It’s questionable how thermal runaway was arrested by cooling cells, how did they manage that, then🤷🏼‍♂️

And then how did they manage to stop re-ignition if it was thermal runaway?

And how, on a new car with no pattern of such problems could a cell become so damaged that it started burning🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve dismantled (much older) EV batteries where connections on each cell terminal are oxidised with the potential consequence of resistance heating and fire, just like weakened connections elsewhere on ICE vehicles and EV vehicles can result in fire.

One should really always question what you read that’s written without forensically gathered & analysed evidence before one believes those who see, or want to believe and represent a particular conclusion and jump to it to serve their own agenda.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
It’s interesting that the default position for press etc is every EV car fire is battery related!

EVs are capable of catching fire for other reasons, just like ICE vehicles are.

Fire investigation takes forensically trained experts hours and much dismantling to properly determine cause of fire and cannot be done in minutes by fire fighters who opt for a cause simply for their own statistical and administrative function.

I followed many (virtually every) fire fighters in cases whose reported causes of fires are wrong.

One such case was an ICE car which they said turbocharger was cause of fire when turbo was entirely intact yet much of rest of engine bay was gutted by fire with evidence of ignition source elsewhere - impossible!! Fire burns up and out from its source.

It’s questionable how thermal runaway was arrested by cooling cells, how did they manage that, then🤷🏼‍♂️

And then how did they manage to stop re-ignition if it was thermal runaway?

And how, on a new car with no pattern of such problems could a cell become so damaged that it started burning🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve dismantled (much older) EV batteries where connections on each cell terminal are oxidised with the potential consequence of resistance heating and fire, just like weakened connections elsewhere on ICE vehicles and EV vehicles can result in fire.

One should really always question what you read that’s written without forensically gathered & analysed evidence before one believes those who see, or want to believe and represent a particular conclusion and jump to it to serve their own agenda.
Yeah, at only 2 hours to extinguish and cool it, it probably wasn't started by the battery. It will be interesting to eventually see what the cause was.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag