Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The first Mach-E charging, at Alaska's first CCS DC Fast Charger*, was a success. The 50Kw DC charger was installed a few miles south of the entrance to Denali Park in late July and, thanks to some previous issues with the credit card reader, the charger was configured in the "No Charge" mode. The unit is a dual cable (CCS and Chaedmo with a Tesla adapter attached). So, something for everybody on a single charger - the wave of the future, hopefully.

No real surprises with an actual charging rate of 44.4kWh up to 80% then dropping to 22.2kWh above 80%. I charged to 82% and used 50kW in 74 minutes. Through the great efforts of a couple of entrepreneurs from southern Alaska (ReCharge Alaska), an EV enthusiast landowner near Denali Park, and a grant from the interior Alaska COOP utility (GVEA) it is now possible for most newer models of EVs to drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage without spending 4-5 hours charging at a campground. The location also makes it possible to visit Denali Park from either city, and make it back, without spending that same half a day charging somewhere. For now, Alaska's DC chargers will be limited to 50kw while the state's regulatory agencies catchup to the 21st century. A state sponsored DC fast charging network is well under way, so in a couple of years there should be DC chargers every 90 miles or so on the state's 3 main highways connecting Fairbanks and Anchorage with the Canadian border. The Canadians are doing their part and are busy building fast chargers along western and northwestern Canadian roads.

The Mach E was an AWD LR Battery FE from Fairbanks. The DC charger was a 50kw Tritium Model (Australian Manufacturer).

The landowner\site host let me drive his Model Y while we were waiting. Better performance than the Mach E but the interior really is bland. I also found the single landscape display very busy and hard to quickly find the info I was looking for. Also weird not having a start button. The owner did complain how his Y never really shutdown completely and unplugged, in cold weather he would lose 5-7% charge overnight. I left my Mach E out in cold weather, not plugged in, and lost less than 5% charge in 5 weeks. He is seriously looking at buying a Mach E or Lightning.

A few pictures to show how DC charging is done the Alaskan way - no sipping your foo-foo, Capa-latte, bat-regurgitated coffee from the Starbucks next door while you play video games on your phone in your well-lit and pristine asphalt parking lots. Oh yeah, no toilets either, so plan on bringing your empty Starbucks coffee cup along.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger Pic1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger Pic2

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger 1 Hour Charge

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger End Charge

* Full disclosure: There is a 25kWh charger at a Chevy dealer in Wasilla, just north of Anchorage, but I assumed no Mach Es have charged there yet.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm wondering how well they will keep it dug out when the snow hits.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The first Mach-E charging, at Alaska's first CCS DC Fast Charger*, was a success. The 50Kw DC charger was installed a few miles south of the entrance to Denali Park in late July and, thanks to some previous issues with the credit card reader, the charger was configured in the "No Charge" mode. The unit is a dual cable (CCS and Chaedmo with a Tesla adapter attached). So, something for everybody on a single charger - the wave of the future, hopefully.

No real surprises with an actual charging rate of 44.4kWh up to 80% then dropping to 22.2kWh above 80%. I charged to 82% and used 50kW in 74 minutes. Through the great efforts of a couple of entrepreneurs from southern Alaska (ReCharge Alaska), an EV enthusiast landowner near Denali Park, and a grant from the interior Alaska COOP utility (GVEA) it is now possible for most newer models of EVs to drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage without spending 4-5 hours charging at a campground. The location also makes it possible to visit Denali Park from either city, and make it back, without spending that same half a day charging somewhere. For now, Alaska's DC chargers will be limited to 50kw while the state's regulatory agencies catchup to the 21st century. A state sponsored DC fast charging network is well under way, so in a couple of years there should be DC chargers every 90 miles or so on the state's 3 main highways connecting Fairbanks and Anchorage with the Canadian border. The Canadians are doing their part and are busy building fast chargers along western and northwestern Canadian roads.

The Mach E was an AWD LR Battery FE from Fairbanks. The DC charger was a 50kw Tritium Model (Australian Manufacturer).

The landowner\site host let me drive his Model Y while we were waiting. Better performance than the Mach E but the interior really is bland. I also found the single landscape display very busy and hard to quickly find the info I was looking for. Also weird not having a start button. The owner did complain how his Y never really shutdown completely and unplugged, in cold weather he would lose 5-7% charge overnight. I left my Mach E out in cold weather, not plugged in, and lost less than 5% charge in 5 weeks. He is seriously looking at buying a Mach E or Lightning.

A few pictures to show how DC charging is done the Alaskan way - no sipping your foo-foo, Capa-latte, bat-regurgitated coffee from the Starbucks next door while you play video games on your phone in your well-lit and pristine asphalt parking lots. Oh yeah, no toilets either, so plan on bringing your empty Starbucks coffee cup along.

* Full disclosure: There is a 25kWh charger at a Chevy dealer in Wasilla, just north of Anchorage, but I assumed no Mach Es have charged there yet.
Thanks for the info and gr8 to hear. I see a 360 degree washroom and would have no need for a Tim Horton's cup. Toilet paper in the frunk looks like a must if you have your better half with you ;). If I did not see the hydro poles I would have thought it was squirrels in a cage generating the power. 50 KW is all we have way up here also right now and is more than adequate. I get 46 47 KW and have not spent more than 45 minutes at one. Good thing it is red should be easy to find in the snow.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm curious about the usage fees and is anything preventing the theft of the Tesla adaptor?
Welcome to a different place. Happens once and the land owner will know it was a red mach-e but that is highly unlikely.
The landowner has a Y which may help. Ours get snowed in due to no sense to keep them open due to lack of use. Hoping time will change all that.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger IMG_2753.JPG

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm curious about the usage fees and is anything preventing the theft of the Tesla adaptor?
Yes, I'm curious about the actual fees. Free is nice but that's not a good working model for young entrepreneurs. I did email them to let them know I am willing to pay for my 50kWh and to suggest they may want to set up an alternative honor system payment method thru Paypal or such.

The Tesla Chademo adapter is the site host's personal adapter and is cable locked to the charger. It would not be difficult to cut, but this is Alaska so between the good neighbor policy and Alaskan's love affair with weapons, theft probably won't be a huge problem. Also, the site is very rural, isn't marked (I drove by without seeing it the first time) and is off the highway on a private gravel driveway.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger cable

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charges at Alaska’s first CCS DC Charger road view1.JPG

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, the charger is located on the site host's private driveway and he has a plow truck, so, assuming he wants to get out of his own driveway daily, I would expect it should be accessible most of the time. Denali Park area does get a lot of snow though.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Love the total Alaska look of it and good to see more DC chargers being built.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
I expect that a rugged and theft resistant standard configuration for CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapters will emerge as more networks seek to lure Tesla owners. That light weight cable wouldn't last a day in most major metro areas, sad to say.

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alaska Owners. @MitchAK @ROBOHOBO @AKPat I received this email from the builder of the Cantwell DC Fast (50kw) charger. They are looking for a Mach E to attend the charging station's official dedication. I am out of state and won't be able to attend. Perhaps one of you can represent.

"Hi John. I am hoping you are free and can join us this Saturday (28 Aug) for the fast charger dedication to support GVEA on their efforts If you message me back I can send you more info. You and your Mach E will be a highlight!"

You can get more info thru Plugshare to - Kirk' fast green Y or email [email protected]

AKPat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME GTPE, ‘14 F-350 DRW, ‘19 Edge ST
Country flag
Perhaps one of you can represent.
Unfortunately my GT is held up in the chip delays, and my estimated delivery date is now 10/31....
Sponsored