Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Hello fellow Mach-E owners, I just picked up my vehicle yesterday and this is my first ever EV, and I don't know a lot about charging.

So the situation is, I live in an apartment which has a Nema 6-50 cord on the wall available to my parking lot for charging. But the standard mach-e adapters included does not fit into that cord so I'm looking for a solution without buying another third party charger or have something mounted on the wall.

I found a adapter on Amazon which should fit into the Nema 6-50 on the wall and has a corresponding outlet on the other end. Does anyone know if this will work/ And will using this adapter hurt my vehicle or create danger in general?

Huge appreciation in advance for the answer and help!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charging with Nema 6-50 Cord unnamed
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Charging with Nema 6-50 Cord IMG_0053

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
They really should make a 6-50 pigtail for the Ford Mobile charger because I would buy it just to have the flexibility in my mobile bag.

$59.99 seems high for such an extension cable, but as stated above, it will work fine with the Ford Mobile Charger.

Keep in mind, you can't plug anything that expects a full 14-50 into that adapter. As the screenshot clearly shows, there is no neutral from the 6-50 and therefore you won't get 120V like a 14-50 would normally provide.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
I think an issue could be the amperage. Be careful the plugs, wiring, and breaker are rated to match what the mobile charger can draw. Is it a 40A circuit, or 50A?

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They really should make a 6-50 pigtail for the Ford Mobile charger because I would buy it just to have the flexibility in my mobile bag.

$59.99 seems high for such an extension cable, but as stated above, it will work fine with the Ford Mobile Charger.

Keep in mind, you can't plug anything that expects a full 14-50 into that adapter. As the screenshot clearly shows, there is no neutral from the 6-50 and therefore you won't get 120V like a 14-50 would normally provide.
It seems that there is not a bunch of options for 6-50 plug to 14-50 adapters though. I'll keep looking for a one with better pricing for sure. What doe the neutral do for the adapter? Will be only be affecting the charging speed or should I be having safety concerns? Thanks for the reply

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think an issue could be the amperage. Be careful the plugs, wiring, and breaker are rated to match what the mobile charger can draw. Is it a 40A circuit, or 50A?
The ones that I found seems to be 50 amp. What does that mean if the Ford mobile charger is 32A? Will this be more powerful than the charger can handle?

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The mobile charger provided by Ford is 32A. So I think he should be ok.
What does the amperage do during the charging session? Is it more about efficiency or safety? Thank you

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Actually $59 is a pretty good price...

Here's another adapter.

https://acworks.com/products/ev650ms-018bk-6-50-welder-outlet-to-tesla?_pos=2&_sid=7c857aa57&_ss=r

This is the US site, but there's a link to click for the Canada site.

The NEMA 6-50 doesn't have a 'neutral' conductor (that's the middle blade on the NEMA 14-50 connector). But the Ford Mobile Charger does not actually use the Neutral wire.

As long as the plug is on a circuit breaker that handles 40 amps or higher (50 amps is the max for a plug-in receptacle) you would be fine. The Ford Mobile Charger will only pull 32 amps (but outlets under "continuous load" should not draw more than 80% of the rated capacity.)

Edit: Here's a link to the Canada site: https://acworks.ca/products/ev650ms-018-nema-6-50p-to-14-50r-tesla-s-x-3?_pos=7&_sid=897edf3ec&_ss=r It seems to be the same adapter (although in a different color).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's an adapter.

https://acworks.com/products/ev650ms-018bk-6-50-welder-outlet-to-tesla?_pos=2&_sid=7c857aa57&_ss=r

This is the US site, but there's a link to click for the Canada site.

The NEMA 6-50 doesn't have a 'neutral' conductor (that's the middle blade on the NEMA 14-50 connector). But the Ford Mobile Charger does not actually use the Neutral wire.

As long as the plug is on a circuit breaker that handles 40 amps or higher (50 amps is the max for a plug-in receptacle) you would be fine. The Ford Mobile Charger will only pull 32 amps (but outlets under "continuous load" should not draw more than 80% of the rated capacity.)
Thank you sir, should I be having any safety concerns using a third party adapter? Just trying not to burn my building down LOL

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The ones that I found seems to be 50 amp. What does that mean if the Ford mobile charger is 32A? Will this be more powerful than the charger can handle?
What does the amperage do during the charging session? Is it more about efficiency or safety? Thank you
It's all good. The mobile charger is 32A max continuous load. As long at the circuit is at least 40A, it will function properly and safely.

It just like your home receptacles are on either a 15 or 20A circuit, but you can plug in a lamp that only draws 1 amp, no problem.

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's all good. The mobile charger is 32A max continuous load. As long at the circuit is at least 40A, it will function properly and safely.

It just like your home receptacles are on either a 15 or 20A circuit, but you can plug in a lamp that only draws 1 amp, no problem.
Thank you! Very brief explanation to a newbie haha

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Thank you sir, should I be having any safety concerns using a third party adapter? Just trying not to burn my building down LOL
Ideally, the adapter should be UL listed (cUL or CSA for Canada).
Unfortunately, I've never seen one that's listed.

There are some on Amazon for as low as 23 USD.
Sponsored