trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
mach_e_iihs_test.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach-E Looks To Earn Top IIHS Safety Scores Before Tesla Model Y

The Ford Mustang Mach-E is currently undergoing safety testing by the country's top auto safety agency. How will the Mustang Mach-E perform, and will it beat Tesla's Model Y to the podium?

The Ford Mustang Mach-E is presently undergoing testing by America’s most respected automotive safety testing agency, the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety (IIHS). The agency has already started to post teaser images, like the one above of the Mustang Mach-E’s roof crush test, on its social media feeds. Although the very similar Tesla Model Y beat the Mustang Mach-E to market by about nine months, it looks likely that the Mustang Mach-E’s ratings will be available before the Tesla Model Y’s. For background on why Tesla’s top-selling vehicle was not tested sooner, check out our focus story, Top-Selling Tesla Model Y Crossover Not Scheduled For Safety Testing By IIHS.

Reviewers Find Mustang Mach-E Tops Tesla Model Y In Multiple Ways
Ford’s Mustang Mach-E is one of today’s hottest new electric crossovers and is selling out everywhere inventory lands. We’ve tested the Mustang Mach-E twice already and have found that the Mustang Mach-E to be better in three important ways than its main peer in this segment, the Tesla Model Y. And we are not alone. Other testers, such as those at Consumer Reports and Edmunds both scored the Ford Mustang Mach-E higher in important ways than the Model Y in back-to-back comparisons. The results of IIHS’ testing could give this family crossover vehicle one more edge in the marketplace.

Why Does IIHS Testing Matter?
IIHS testing is more comprehensive than any other agency that rates cars for safety in North America. It conducts its crash tests at higher speeds, from more severe angles, and includes more detailed ratings on such things as active safety and headlights than any other agency. Many automotive safety experts consider the IIHS ratings the “varsity” and other ratings “junior varsity.”

Automakers and IIHS - Cooperation vs. Conflict
Like nearly every manufacturer, Ford works closely and cooperatively with IIHS, by contrast to Tesla whose relationship could be called “strained.” Tesla’s less than friendly past dealings with IIHS began when the Tesla Model S, marketed by Tesla as the "safest car in the world," failed - twice - to earn the same safety rating that a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord could easily earn. The Tesla Model 3 has since done well in IIHS testing, something Tesla seems proud if of you consider its social media feeds referencing the positive results.

Ford's IIHS Scores Are Mixed
Ford’s Edge crossover and Escape crossover, both similar in size to the Mustang Mach-E, have both earned the second-best rating from IIHS, the Top Safety Pick. They cannot earn the Top Safety Pick Plus rating, the industry’s highest, because their standard headlights are not up to snuff. The Ford Mustang coupe does not earn any IIHS awards because it does not score “Good” on every crash test performed. So there is no guarantee that the newly-designed Mustang Mach-E will earn the Top Safety Pick Plus rating sought after by automakers and family car shoppers.

What’s your prediction? Will the Mustang Mach-E earn the TSP+ rating, or a score somewhat lower?
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
yeah this one interests me for a few reasons:
  • impact to insurance cost
  • comparison of how Ford did compared to other people in the space (*cough*Tesla*cough*)
  • day to day feeling of "safety"
my electronic window sticker still says there's no federal safety rating either and that's a bit of a weird thing to see on a window sticker this late in the game. ?

although I personally feel that the IIHS does a better job of this than the federal standards, somewhat because how slow the federal stuff can adapt and because I feel like, given all the various pressures, the IIHS ratings are probably ultimately more "real" than the federal ones. This is a gut feel though and kind of impossible to settle factually.

funnynardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
How many MMEs are they going to wreck in their testing? Makes me cry. Do they buy these cars or does Ford supply them?
at most 6 (driver side small overlap, passenger small overlap, moderate overlap, side, roof, seats). they buy them, no one supplies iihs or nhtsa. they have to buy the cars like normal people so manufacturers cant cheat in the tests.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A copy paste of the whole article without even citing the source? I've see quite a few posts like this. I hope this forum doesn't get into trouble for copyright violations.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I just attended an IIHS/HLDI webinar on Insurance and Repair Issues related to EVs. Matt Moore from IIHS/HLDI stated explicitly that they are not ready to share the Mach E results yet. But he showed a few of the crash test videos for the Mach E specifically, and he said overall it "performed well"! Results to be released soon.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I just attended an IIHS/HLDI webinar on Insurance and Repair Issues related to EVs. Matt Moore from IIHS/HLDI stated explicitly that they are not ready to share the Mach E results yet. But he showed a few of the crash test videos for the Mach E specifically, and he said overall it "performed well"! Results to be released soon.
"not ready to share the results yet BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO BLOW YOUR MIND! ????????"

oh that's not what he said, sorry. I read into it too much.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Also, it was traumatizing watching them destroy two beautiful MMEs. BUT, from a safety perspective the MME looked like it performed very well!

funnynardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
if the headlights arent good or acceptable then it gets no awards

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
That must be why my stupid insurance company wants almost $4K a year for the Mustang Mach E ? My policies renew in two months and I told my agent that some other lucky company is getting my business. The only catch is they have to be able to put a sinkhole rider on the homeowners policy ?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
if the headlights arent good or acceptable then it gets no awards
IMO the Mach-E headlights are just acceptable. Not super impressed, especially by the highbeams.
Sponsored