Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
350 km (220 miles) from home was plugged into 120v and changed up to 100% went in to head home and errors

AWD off
Service Advance Trac
Stop Safety Now
Pre-collision Assist Not Available
Hill Side Assist Not Available
Full Accessory Power Active

Pulled the covers hooked up a 15 amp agm charger and 12 v started charging flashing between 25/50% left charging until 75/100% tried again and same errors. Put charger on 13v jump same errors. Disconnect 12v for 15 minutes hooked back up put on jump same errors. Will not go in gear and far from my dealer on a Sunday.

Appears to be the same problem as last February when it got flat bedded due to the dead 12v design error. Any suggests, help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
115 views no comments. The car is less than a year old and now has left me stranded. Could be worse I guess at least it is in a driveway and not on highway.

Sunday evening after 15amp charge it said 100% start it same errors shut it down look at charger and say 50% to 75% charge. Set it to 1 amp trickle starts charging and says 25 to 50% charge. Will leave it on trickle over night. First cooler (-10 C) weather and 12v test. 12 v I think is done.

wanted to post great winter trip not so much now.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Shayne, I wish I could give you good advice other than get the Ford dealer on it.
I cant even get my MME yet. Best of luck.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
It sounds like the 12 volt battery is toast. I don't believe the car will charge the 12 volt battery on Level 1 120 volt charge.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If you can round up someone with an OBD device to plug into the under dash receptacle, you might be able to clear the errors, at least temporarily.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It sounds like the 12 volt battery is toast. I don't believe the car will charge the 12 volt battery on Level 1 120 volt charge.
Thanks it is a 12v agm charger. The ford 120 mobile charger is no longer plugged in.
If you can round up someone with an OBD device to plug into the under dash receptacle, you might be able to clear the errors, at least temporarily.
That may be possible if I was back up North but here not likely. Thought it was good I packed the 12v charger. Looks like next purchase is an OBD device. Will need to learn. Any recommendations of the one I should get? Had it on 13v jump but I guess with the errors it still will not go in gear. Me I would drive it flashing errors for 4 hours but if it does not go in gear I am done.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@Mopey if I disconnect the 12v should it not reset? Will leave it trickle overnight and regroup when light tomorrow.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
A mechanic I'm not, but I think the error codes remain in memory despite a battery disconnect.
One other thing to try is to start the car in accessory mode, select 'emergency tow mode' in the menus, then shift the car into neutral. See if it will start and if it does then try a shift to drive.
Other than that, good luck.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I meant was if you charge the car with a 120 volt charger the car won't charge the 12 volt battery. So if you don't drive enough the high voltage battery won't fully charge the 12 volt AGM battery. This will shorten the batteries life.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
350 km (220 miles) from home was plugged into 120v and changed up to 100% went in to head home and errors

AWD off
Service Advance Trac
Stop Safety Now
Pre-collision Assist Not Available
Hill Side Assist Not Available
Full Accessory Power Active

Pulled the covers hooked up a 15 amp agm charger and 12 v started charging flashing between 25/50% left charging until 75/100% tried again and same errors. Put charger on 13v jump same errors. Disconnect 12v for 15 minutes hooked back up put on jump same errors. Will not go in gear and far from my dealer on a Sunday.

Appears to be the same problem as last February when it got flat bedded due to the dead 12v design error. Any suggests, help would be appreciated.
These errors are somewhat generic, could be the 12V battery or something else.

If you want to rule out the battery try jump starting it off another running vehicle.

If you can't jump start, I would charge the battery disconnected if you can, it will draw a lot of current while it's trying to wake up.

Really needs to get to the dealer. You might need more updates, you can send Breeves002 your VIN and see if you have updates available.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What I meant was if you charge the car with a 120 volt charger the car won't charge the 12 volt battery. So if you don't drive enough the high voltage battery won't fully charge the 12 volt AGM battery. This will shorten the batteries life.
Maybe I drove 350 km two dcfc and plugged in at 80%. Then made 2 short trips to the hospital to bring someone for radiation (8 km) then sat form Friday evening until Sunday morning. I would think two short trips and you kill the 12v is not good.
These errors are somewhat generic, could be the 12V battery or something else.

If you want to rule out the battery try jump starting it off another running vehicle.

If you can't jump start, I would charge the battery disconnected if you can, it will draw a lot of current while it's trying to wake up.

Really needs to get to the dealer. You might need more updates, you can send Breeves002 your VIN and see if you have updates available.
Would the 13v jump on the charger not be similar? The car boots no problem just all the errors and can not put it in gear. Messaged breeves thanks.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Would the 13v jump on the charger not be similar? The car boots no problem just all the errors and can not put it in gear. Messaged breeves thanks.
The car requires 25-35 amps when it starts up or it can boot loop or experience module shutdowns. I'm not sure which charger you have, but most consumer battery chargers aren't powerful enough to output that much current. The boost/starter ratings on them are invented by the manufacturers. A charger might say "100A boost" on it but that could mean it outputs 100A for only 0.001 seconds before declining to its normal rating. If you need to jump a dead battery it's much better to use an actual jump pack or another vehicle, either of which can easily send 100's of amps for several seconds or longer to get everything going.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had a dead battery that was bad on a motorcycle once and I could not jump start from a car. Disconnect and try to jump from a big battery.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The whole 12 volt battery thing has interested me and I think it causes a lot of issue. I traded in a 2017 Focus BEV. It also had problems with 12 volt battery not staying fully charged. I bought the car from a dealer that didn't even know where it was. They found it and it had 5 miles of range on it when we test drove it. My wife only drove the car about 5 miles on a work day. It was giving " accidental unplug" errors. It wouldn't start one day and I had to use a jump battery to get going. I started charging the 12 volt battery every night and after a few month everything worked fine.

My Mach E arrived with a dead battery and was replaced by the dealer before I picked it up and it has been fine. The point I am try to get at is these car are taking forever from build to delivery. The batteries have been stressed. If they can't provide the amperage at start up some of the module may not boot up correctly. I think this is something to consider. There is a great thread all about the battery and how to get it back to health.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-recondition-service-your-12v-battery.11069/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had a dead battery that was bad on a motorcycle once and I could not jump start from a car. Disconnect and try to jump from a big battery.
If I was back at the farm that may be a possibility with the dump trailer battery but 220 miles away I have fewer options.
The whole 12 volt battery thing has interested me and I think it causes a lot of issue. I traded in a 2017 Focus BEV. It also had problems with 12 volt battery not staying fully charged. I bought the car from a dealer that didn't even know where it was. They found it and it had 5 miles of range on it when we test drove it. My wife only drove the car about 5 miles on a work day. It was giving " accidental unplug" errors. It wouldn't start one day and I had to use a jump battery to get going. I started charging the 12 volt battery every night and after a few month everything worked fine.

My Mach E arrived with a dead battery and was replaced by the dealer before I picked it up and it has been fine. The point I am try to get at is these car are taking forever from build to delivery. The batteries have been stressed. If they can't provide the amperage at start up some of the module may not boot up correctly. I think this is something to consider. There is a great thread all about the battery and how to get it back to health.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-recondition-service-your-12v-battery.11069/
Read @Mach-Lee post some time ago and yes good post but there is only so much you can do when you are sitting in someone else’s driveway in the snow. Wish it just went into gear so I could have gotten home but Monday morning.
Sponsored