Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Actually not. The conversation started with me wondering if Ford would implement the same strategy with the Mach-e.
Excuse me, that was simply a joke in response to @EVer saying "I've never read the manual cover to cover".
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The part about Brake Disc Wiping for inclement weather is in the owner's manual. I read the other part in an interview with an engineer. According to him, the car tracks how often the brakes are used, and if it doesn't meet the threshold for rust prevention the brakes are applied.
Is that why we have phantom braking? Loljk

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm... I have never looked at Tesla's braking strategy, now I am curious. This would be an extremely low tech system, and it would surprise me if Tesla's regen strategy was so poor.
I wouldn't consider it low tech, it works just fine. In my last 500 miles of driving, my Model Y has regen 43% of the energy consumed. Brake regen is one of the things people tend to discuss when talking about range, efficiency, etc

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I read that they did it this way for brake feel
I found this fairly interesting writeup of the braking system Tesla. It suggests they do a little of both. Front brakes provide feel; rear brakes can blend regen up to .3g deceleration:

Tesla Regen, Brakes and Sudden Acceleration
by
Ronald A. Belt, 1 June 2020

___

The brake modulator unit used in Tesla’s brake system is Bosch’s ESP hev II module as shown in Figure 23. It is a special version of Bosch’s newest ESP 9.0 ABS modulator that is specifically adapted for use in hybrid electric vehicles. Figure 24 shows that the unit consists of over twelve electrically operated solenoid valves of various types, two hydraulic pressure pumps, an electric motor to operate the pressure pumps, a PID controller with feedback control and high power drive transistors to operate the electric motor, accumulators, pressure sensors, and an overall electronic control module for issuing commands to the pumps and solenoid valves. The control
module receives commands from the iBooster via a high speed serial CAN bus. Response time for commands is one millisecond to enable fast braking operations in emergency situations.

23-24.png

Figure 25 shows how the iBooster and the ESP hev II brake modulator work together to achieve brake operation. The valves are shown in their normal operating positions when power is off, which allows the transfer of pressurized brake fluid from the master cylinder to the wheels to allow normal manual operation of the brakes. Besides mechanical activation of the brakes by the brake pedal, the system also allows electrical activation independently of the brake pedal by closing the isolation valves from the master cylinder and activating the pressure pumps to provide the desired brake pressure to the wheels. This electrical activation can be done on either channel separately while the other channel is operated manually or on both channels at the same time. When electrical activation is used on either channel, the driver can feel the brake pressure provided by the electrically activated pressure pump as it is fed back into the master cylinder via a pressure relief valve, as shown by the right hand channel in Figure 25. In hybrid electric vehicles, it is often desireable to prevent the driver from feeling the electrically activated brake pressure in order to hide changes in the manually operated brake pressure caused by brake blending operations associated with regen. Therefore, Bosch has modified its existing ESP 9.0 modulator for this purpose by returning the brake fluid from one channel back to the fluid reservoir instead of the master cylinder as shown on the left channel in Figure 25. This prevents the driver from feeling the electrically activated brake pressure in this channel. This also requires a special kind of pressure relief valve as shown in yellow in Figure 25. Together, these ESP hev II modifications support brake blending operations in a hybrid electric vehicle. Tesla vehicles use the ESP hev II unit with the left-hand channel on the rear wheels and the
right-hand channel on the front wheels Note 2 . This allows the left-hand channel to electronically blend (i.e., substitute) friction brake pressure with regen brake pressure in any amount up to 0.3 g, as limited by the maximum pressure provided by the electric pump in the modulator unit.

25.png

Reactions: DBC

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Very nice. Matched up spot on with the targeted figure. About the same EPA rating as Polestar 2 and Tesla Model X Performance, with driving range in between them, too:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E EPA Ratings Revealed in Window Sticker! 25
Has anyone seen the numbers for the extended range RWD?
Both the Polestar and the Model X have a small difference in fuel economy between combined, city and hwy. The model X is extremely close city 90, hwy 89
For the Mach-E AWD, the numbers are combined 90, city 96, hwy 84
In my view, the hwy range is the one that count. So for the Mach-e awd it would be (270/90)*84= 252 miles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Has anyone seen the numbers for the extended range RWD?
Both the Polestar and the Model X have a small difference in fuel economy between combined, city and hwy. The model X is extremely close city 90, hwy 89
For the Mach-E AWD, the numbers are combined 90, city 96, hwy 84
In my view, the hwy range is the one that count. So for the Mach-e awd it would be (270/90)*84= 252 miles.
300 miles.

There's a thread with all of them as released by Ford:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...00-miles-for-premium-extended-range-rwd.2092/

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Actually Tesla does not have brake by wire. When you push on the brake pedal you are mechanically actuating the brake master cylinder. When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal regen does begin, but pressing on the brake pedal does not activate regen. At least it is that way with the 3 and the Y, I have no idea about the S and the X.
That's why so many people say 1-pedal is more efficient. It's more efficient for a Tesla, but not any different in a car with blended brakes, like Mach-E.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That's why so many people say 1-pedal is more efficient. It's more efficient for a Tesla, but not any different in a car with blended brakes, like Mach-E.
Maybe, maybe not. OPD should still maximize regeneration over friction braking, increasing efficiency. We won't know for sure until we see testing.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. OPD should still maximize regeneration over friction braking, increasing efficiency. We won't know for sure until we see testing.
If the brakes are blended (and perhaps add the qualifier in a sophisticated way), then the car will regenerate the same. It will only use friction if the person is asking for more stopping than regen can keep up with. Which in that case, would be the same with OPD because you would most likely switch to the brake pedal because you aren't slowing down fast enough.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I know about that thread but it only has the combined range. It does not have the fuel economy numbers for combined, city and highway.
Sorry. Note that your question was "Has anyone seen the numbers for the extended range RWD?". We haven't seen separate city/highway scores yet for any model.
Sponsored