Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hmmm, exactly 270. That suspicious, very suspicious. ? I wonder what their adjustment factor was. How high could they have made it, OR did they go higher/lower than Tesla does to get that number? ?

I wonder if they could have gone higher.
I'm thrilled. It hits the 270 mile EPA range and beat the acceleration, down to 4.8 seconds.
Sponsored

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
For Extended Range Premium:
1605896258943.png

Looks like they did hit the 270 mark exactly then for the AWD-EX models. More interested in real world reports after delivery though.
Thanks for sharing. Is there a link or website where this information can be found?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
i think it depends on the battery pack. 480km is the SR AWD and 739 is the ER RWD. Just 1 guide for all the models. The car I had an ride allong in was displaying 18.0 km/kWh average during a time of 1.5 hours of driving (couldn’t see a distance), that was theER AWD.
duh, makes sense. Thanks.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very nice. Matched up spot on with the targeted figure. About the same EPA rating as Polestar 2 and Tesla Model X Performance, with driving range in between them, too:

1605896728071.png
Wait. Comparing it to Model X Performance? This is what it should be compared with:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E EPA Ratings Revealed in Window Sticker! Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.16.22 PM

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
MPGe is provided with low precision, so these are your low-precision conversions of those numbers:

96 MPGe = 350 Wh/mi city
84 MPGe = 400 Wh/mi highway
Keep in mind that EPA sticker and test car list data is always AC energy from the grid - what the consumer pays for (like at the gas pump).

The EPA test data showed that 101.2 AC kWh were required to recharge the pack after 88.45 kWh were drawn from battery terminals, resulting in a charge efficiency of 87.4% - pretty typical of most EVs. This charge eff covers all the losses including charger, any parasitic/accessory loads (DC-DC for 12V) while charging, and actually also includes all of the internal battery losses while charging plus the internal battery losses while driving since the power/integrated energy is measured at the terminals.
The label/adjusted MPGe and thus AC Wh/mi are the grid energy consumption.
The energy from the battery are: 307 DC Wh/mi city, and a city range of 287 mi,
and 350 DC Wh/mi highway, and a range of 250 mi.
The adjusted combined range is 0.55*287 + 0.45*250 = 270 mi, as stated on the label.
I know many are interested in Highway range, rather than city or combined.

To get these label numbers based on the posted EPA emission certification data would require an adjustment factor of 0.76 rather than the standard 0.70. The data may be updated - it has not been from what I can find. The certification data specifically noted that Ford was working on road load refinement, and that could certainly improve the energy consumption results (so the adjustment factor may not be as high as 0.76).
At any rate - now we have the label values!

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Efficiency is pretty bad compared to model Y.
Really? I think you need to reserve judgement until Kyle, Tom Mouloughney, or Bjorn Nyland due actual range tests. The EPA 203 mile Taycan just did 260 278 miles at 70 MPH in the real world.

Nonetheless the Mach E's EPA range is 83% of a model Y, with the EPA efficiency of about 73% of the Y. I wouldn't call that "bad" considering it is a lot sexier looking car than the Y and has parts that are actually painted and correctly attached.

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Nonetheless the Mach E's EPA range is 83% of a model Y, with the EPA efficiency of about 73% of the Y.
Seems about right. 17% "bigger" battery, recouping about 14% of the efficiency discrepancy.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Really? I think you need to reserve judgement until Kyle, Tom Mouloughney, or Bjorn Nyland due actual range tests. The EPA 203 mile Taycan just did 260 miles at 70 MPH in the real world.

Nonetheless the Mach E's EPA range is 83% of a model Y, with the EPA efficiency of about 73% of the Y. I wouldn't call that "bad" considering it is a lot sexier looking car than the Y and has parts that are actually painted and correctly attached.
The range is fine. The efficiency rating is the issue, cost of operation of the Mach e will be 30% higher than a vehicle which offers the same amount of space and performance. That is a big deal.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I am sure Ford is being very conservative, compared to the overly optimistic ratings from Tesla...

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The range is fine. The efficiency rating is the issue, cost of operation of the Mach e will be 30% higher than a vehicle which offers the same amount of space and performance. That is a big deal.
I'm saying the EPA range is low, which means the reported mi/kwh is ALSO low. I would be willing to bet that in normal usage the mi/kwh is closer to the Y than the EPA MPGe would suggest
Sponsored