Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yeah the Bolt doesn't have much of a buffer at all (as borne out by the fact of the recall: Reports are that the fires are due to over charging the battery or some "component").

It does indeed turn off regen until you've used up some of the battery below 100%.
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea that Chevrolet Bolt didn't set aside some reserve capacity. I thought all BEV manufacturers knew a reserve was needed. Interesting.....
Sponsored

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So roughly 240-250 miles on road trips. Plenty of range between DC chargers and, if that's not enough, slow down 5 MPH and stretch the range if that's necessary. For local driving lots of excess capacity.

I was actually hoping for marginally more but you can't have everything and it wouldn't actually matter. So there is that.

Will be interesting to see the RWD numbers.
Well said ..

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
They were right to match the performance of the Model Y...This remains a big advantage that these EV crossovers have over the comparably priced crossovers with turbo 4 cylinder engines (BMW X3, Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5 etc.). Technically, it should not be too hard for them to come up with a slower, higher efficiency eco trim if they want to...the problem is now from a marketing standpoint after hyping the Mustang name.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
They were right to match the performance of the Model Y...This remains a big advantage that these EV crossovers have over the comparably priced crossovers with turbo 4 cylinder engines (BMW X3, Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5 etc.). Technically, it should not be too hard for them to come up with a slower, higher efficiency eco trim if they want to...the problem is now from a marketing standpoint after hyping the Mustang name.
It doesn't have to be the Mach E that meets that higher-efficiency-lower-fun market you're referring to. Ford's agreement with the Canadian labor union recently revealed that 5 yet to be named BEV models will be built at the Oakville plant. Those will likely be more oriented toward efficiency and utility than the Mach E.

I'd guess MME will be Ford's "sportiest" EV until there's a BEV Mustang coupe (and I think that EV Cobra Jet they showed off a few months ago telegraphs that that will happen someday).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, I know, but the tesla salesman I phoned today told me that, indeed, the new battery technology installed on the German-made TMYs should no longer have this limitation.
So your absolutely certain source of information is a car salesman?????

good luck.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A Mustang II Mach E?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Actually the size matches the Escape more than either of those.

In addition Ford sells Escapes like popcorn so an Escape EV would have been a no-brainer (but apparently not).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oh god, No! Please, not another Mustang II.
That’s what happens when you sacrifice performance for efficiency. If all I wanted was efficiency I’d but a newer Leaf.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, I know, but the tesla salesman I phoned today told me that, indeed, the new battery technology installed on the German-made TMYs should no longer have this limitation.
I wonder if some of the EV engineers are beginning to realize that "saving the battery life" efforts might make the difference between 25 years or 20 years while staying above 80% of original capacity? That even 20 years for most people is well beyond their expected ownership horizon...

I know some early adopters, like the initial Leaf owners and many Energi owners (myself included) were disappointed by steep battery degradation. However, I believe the latest approaches to BMS software will help owners achieve significant longevity. For example, I have nearly 20k miles on my Kona, have seen no discernable battery degradation since the first month after the software adjusted to my driving habits and gave me a range of closer to 250 instead of 258 miles (I tend to drive quite "sporty" but I still get 3.8 to 4.1 mi/kWh on any given trip. My lifetime average is 4.0 mi/kWh, a theoretical range of 256 mi at that efficiency level. That is with A/C and ventilated seats on most of the time, cruise set at 70 or 75 most of the time, with passing spurts up to 85/90 mph.)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if some of the EV engineers are beginning to realize that "saving the battery life" efforts might make the difference between 25 years or 20 years while staying above 80% of original capacity? That even 20 years for most people is well beyond their expected ownership horizon...

I know some early adopters, like the initial Leaf owners and many Energi owners (myself included) were disappointed by steep battery degradation. However, I believe the latest approaches to BMS software will help owners achieve significant longevity. For example, I have nearly 20k miles on my Kona, have seen no discernable battery degradation since the first month after the software adjusted to my driving habits and gave me a range of closer to 250 instead of 258 miles (I tend to drive quite "sporty" but I still get 3.8 to 4.1 mi/kWh on any given trip. My lifetime average is 4.0 mi/kWh, a theoretical range of 256 mi at that efficiency level. That is with A/C and ventilated seats on most of the time, cruise set at 70 or 75 most of the time, with passing spurts up to 85/90 mph.)
All the tests/analysis I've seen indicates that the steep degradation is in the "shoulders" - it starts to increase above 80%/below 20% and then rapidly once you go beyond 10%/90%. However, those are older studies that I've seen, and perhaps the curves in the shoulders are flatter now.

The analogy I can think if is when an ICE revs up into the yellow or red: sure you can do it when you need/want it, but don't make a habit of it because it will hurt your engine. Of course the difference is that most people drive automatics which do their damnedest to keep you out of that range. So, Ford is intentionally doing the same thing in the MME with their larger than normal buffers. In both cases the intention isn't to cheat anyone, it is to save you from yourself. Or more importantly, to keep you from suing Ford because the car didn't last very long.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm not positive, but I think it is because the front motor is a permanent magnetic motor, therefore will always have some resistance (ie you can't completely turn it "off"). Tesla ony uses a permanent magnetic motor on the rear.
That makes sense. The articles I have read say Tesla's rear permanent magnet motor is more efficient, and the front inductive motor is only used when you need it. And as you said, you cannot turn off the permanent magnets so the motors must be "always on". Probably the extra weight makes a difference as well as someone else suggested.

I have not ordered a Mach-E yet, and I cannot decide between the LR AWD or LR RWD. Range is really important to me, but so is the fun of accelerating to 60 in less than five seconds. I have read all the arguments in this thread (and others) regarding range and the spacing of chargers, but I want to drive 80 mph. And I want to drive as far as possible without stopping. Personally, I think 30 miles more range is huge. Arrrg! I really want the AWD!
Sponsored