pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No idea. I didnt see anything on the screen that showed that figure. Might be there....just didnt see it.

To me, the Unbridled mode felt less aggressive than Tesla Model 3 which I was happy to see because I felt the Tesla was too much.

I presume we are talking about 1 Pedal mode and how it feels when lifting off the accelerator pedal.....correct?
Yes.

It takes some adjustment and learning how to feather the throttle on the Tesla but once you get the hang of it, the amount of regen is quite generous. I'm getting 34% of my energy back in the Model Y from the brake regen (I'm tapping into the CAN bus to pull the info).
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes.

It takes some adjustment and learning how to feather the throttle on the Tesla but once you get the hang of it, the amount of regen is quite generous. I'm getting 34% of my energy back in the Model Y from the brake regen (I'm tapping into the CAN bus to pull the info).
The Mach E has a brake coach but I didnt see it on the dash. It might have been turned off. If it functions like my Focus Electric then it shows a percentage of energy captured from regen compared to maximum possible for that stopping event. It really just shows if you left anything on the table or recaptured as much as possible but no actual figures or anything more useful than that.

That being said.....my car does not have 1 pedal mode but of course the Mach E does so I wonder how useful a brake coach would be anyway? Maybe it only functions when 1 pedal is disabled? That would make sense I suppose.....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Mach E has a brake coach but I didnt see it on the dash. It might have been turned off. If it functions like my Focus Electric then it shows a percentage of energy captured from regen compared to maximum possible for that stopping event. It really just shows if you left anything on the table or recaptured as much as possible but no actual figures or anything more useful than that.

That being said.....my car does not have 1 pedal mode but of course the Mach E does so I wonder how useful a brake coach would be anyway? Maybe it only functions when 1 pedal is disabled? That would make sense I suppose.....
Even in one-pedal mode, there will be times you'll use the brake -- some planned, some not. I would think the brake coach would still be useful. The coach could also evaluate how much you are losing due to fast acceleration and deceleration. Jack rabbit starts and rapid regenerative acceleration can still be inefficient.

Maybe in Whisper mode it will coach you on your efficiency ?

Maybe in Unbridled it will tell you you could have taken that curve at 15 mph faster or smoked that Camaro when the light turned ?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Tesla M3 SR+ add-on for FSD is $10k
MME add-on for handsfree is $500
The two aren't comparable. FSD is more like a "Kickstarter" project. If Tesla succeeds with making it fully autonomous, then your $10K investment is a fraction of what your FSD will be worth. If Tesla does not succeed, then your $10K investment is worth about $4K. (Even without autonomy, the FSD currently in beta is worlds ahead of the MME add on.)

The MME add on should be compared to the no extra cost autopilot on the Tesla, although It's hard to compare them at the moment. While certainly FSD will be hands free by the time the MME add on is available--the code is already in the software and is being evaluated--it remains uncertain if the base autopilot included with purchase will receive this upgrade. The upgrade may possibly require a camera upgrade, which would be supplied to FSD purchasers free of cost--but base autopilot users would probably have to pay for the new camera. That is just my opinion, but it seems to mesh with Tesla past practice.

All of that said, until I'm in a car rated for full L3 autonomy, my hand will remain on the steering wheel. It doesn't mean you have to do anything, you just rest your hand there. That way, if something comes up my hand is already there which reduces driver reaction time. Just last week a car swerved unexpectedly into my lane. I immediately swerved away, overriding the autopilot. What's interesting is that a review of the logs later showed that the autopilot beat my reaction time and was already swerving to avoid a collision. It's hard to know, but looking at the logs my reaction was not required. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do the exact same thing again, but it's comforting to know the car is probably at least as good as I am--probably better--at avoiding such a collision.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Even in one-pedal mode, there will be times you'll use the brake -- some planned, some not. ...
Sometimes it could be days or weeks between brake pedal touches. I used to do it out of habit. Now on my daily commute, it pretty never touch it. ;)

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Sometimes it could be days or weeks between brake pedal touches. I used to do it out of habit. Now on my daily commute, it pretty never touch it. ;)
Yah, often times I only touch it when I start the car, because it’s required. Otherwise I can judge pretty well and stop without it almost exclusively.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yah, often times I only touch it when I start the car, because it’s required. Otherwise I can judge pretty well and stop without it almost exclusively.
I hope Ford implements Tesla's solution to brake longevity. Teslas slightly apply the brake occasionally to keep rust from forming on the rotor. They also apply the brakes in inclement weather to keep the rotor & pads clear of water so the brakes will work if you need them. This action is transparent to the driver because power is ever so slightly increased during brake application.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope Ford implements Tesla's solution to brake longevity. Teslas slightly apply the brake occasionally to keep rust from forming on the rotor. They also apply the brakes in inclement weather to keep the rotor & pads clear of water so the brakes will work if you need them. This action is transparent to the driver because power is ever so slightly increased during brake application.
Interesting; it was certainly transparent to me (never heard of this before)!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Even in one-pedal mode, there will be times you'll use the brake -- some planned, some not. I would think the brake coach would still be useful. The coach could also evaluate how much you are losing due to fast acceleration and deceleration. Jack rabbit starts and rapid regenerative acceleration can still be inefficient.

Maybe in Whisper mode it will coach you on your efficiency ?

Maybe in Unbridled it will tell you you could have taken that curve at 15 mph faster or smoked that Camaro when the light turned ?
Cool. Excited to give it a try. This will be my first BEV with 1-Pedal mode. :)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you have a vehicle with 2X the range and I have one with 2X the charging rate, I'm getting to the destination with a full battery and ready to roll on before you do.
How are you getting to the destination with a full battery? The only way to arrive full is to charge like a mile before your destination.

Or did you mean you'll be able to recharge faster after you arrive? That's true, although often times irrelevant as many people just charge on L2 overnight after arriving at their destination.

I agree that DCFC charging time is very important too, almost as important as range. One of the main reasons that range is important is to avoid so many slow enroute charges. Make those charges faster, and that's not as much of a detriment. But OTOH, avoiding extra enroute charges altogether is even better. If I have 2x the range, I may not need to stop to DCFC charge at all, or just once where we eat a 45-minute meal anyway. More range also enables routes that might not otherwise work because there's no (or weak) chargers available there. More range means more freedom to go more places.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting; it was certainly transparent to me (never heard of this before)!
The part about Brake Disc Wiping for inclement weather is in the owner's manual. I read the other part in an interview with an engineer. According to him, the car tracks how often the brakes are used, and if it doesn't meet the threshold for rust prevention the brakes are applied.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The part about Brake Disc Wiping for inclement weather is in the owner's manual. I read the other part in an interview with an engineer. According to him, the car tracks how often the brakes are used, and if it doesn't meet the threshold for rust prevention the brakes are applied.
I'll have to take a look. I've never read the manual cover to cover, I just searched it for things I was curious about

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'll have to take a look. I've never read the manual cover to cover, I just searched it for things I was curious about
You're clearly on the wrong Forum ?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably; like Tesla, Audi, etc the brake pedal will likely engage the regenerative system up to some limit after which the friction brakes will join. There would be little reason to do it otherwise.
Sponsored