RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
That's why so many people say 1-pedal is more efficient. It's more efficient for a Tesla, but not any different in a car with blended brakes, like Mach-E.
Correct, except with blended you are relying on the driver not to exceed the friction brake crossover point.

If Tesla doesn't have brake by wire, they would have an extremely difficult time doing blending, which make sense then that they don't blend.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I hope the ReGen is from both motors. Any news on that? I'd like to not rotate my tires so often.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I didn't test a higher speed for long enough to learn anything so we'll just have to get our cars and figure it out then. :)
This is my favorite sentence in the entire thread. :)

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I guess there could be extreme cases, like charging 100% at the top of Pikes Peak. But I would struggle to find a normal driving condition case where the vehicle couldn't regen. You would have to have a trip where the range at the end of the trip is greater than when you started.
My Clarity seems to show a small amount of regen (pointer a little way into the green) when going down a hill with a full battery. I live on a hill and often go down it first thing. Sometimes this causes the engine to start for some reason, which is very annoying, and one of the multiple reasons I am getting the Mach-E in place of it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
But you need a sharpener. You can just take the cap off a pen ?
depends on how willing you are to chew the writing end of the pencil.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
My Clarity seems to show a small amount of regen (pointer a little way into the green) when going down a hill with a full battery. I live on a hill and often go down it first thing. Sometimes this causes the engine to start for some reason, which is very annoying, and one of the multiple reasons I am getting the Mach-E in place of it.
Engine starts to burn off the state of charge to allow new charge from regen.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Engine starts to burn off the state of charge to allow new charge from regen.
Maybe. On the C-Max it has a screen that explains why the engine is on. If your going down a hill and the battery is full and using hill descent control, it will turn the engine on and with the message "engine braking".

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
See above analysis. Tesla does blend brakes, but evidently only the rear.
I don't really understand the quite technical post you made earlier. But I suspect it's talking about something different.

Blended brake generally means that the brake pedal will engage regen first, and then engage friction only when necessary.

The technical post you made seems to be talking about the drivetrain, not the pedal. It seems to be saying that the drivetrain is capable of having both friction and regen engaged at the same time. This drive train capability is necessary for both OPD and blended brake peal.

Correct, except with blended you are relying on the driver not to exceed the friction brake crossover point.
Ultimately, the driver commands a certain amount of deceleration. If regen isn't enough to achieve that, friction has to be engaged, regardless of how the driver controls the input (OPD or not).

I acknowledge that driver can learn to drive more efficiently, by braking no harder than necessary. OPD makes the delineation of regen and friction really obvious, which is an advantage. On the other hand, the same "brake coach" that is available on Ford Hybrid, PHEV, and past EV will also be available on Mach E. That thing is super effective in teaching the driver to find the crossover point.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Maybe. On the C-Max it has a screen that explains why the engine is on. If your going down a hill and the battery is full and using hill descent control, it will turn the engine on and with the message "engine braking".
And MG2 adding charge to the HVB
Sponsored