Mach-E External Dimensions Comparison

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Hello,

My wife and I were discussing how small the Mach-E looks in videos where a human subject is standing outside of the car (facing the camera talking about specs etc), and I decided I wanted to get a reference for the size of the car based on cars in real life I have access to.

It's easy to say the car is "small," or "smaller than" a traditional SUV... but how small? Would it be considered as small as a large sedan? As large as a small "4-series" SUV (XT4, XC40, X2, etc). Would it be considered a "5-series" SUV?

As it turns out, it is both smaller and larger than most of my comparison vehicles o_O

Specifically, it is quite long, but also quite low. So overall, it's not a tall vehicle at all, (which makes it even more magical how a 6'8" man can fit in the back seat without his head touching the ceiling), but it has length which helps with providing leg and cargo room.

Here's a crude graphic comparing length and height:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E External Dimensions Comparison Mach E dimension compariso

Here are the stats and cars compared:
D = Side view length front to back
W = Front view width
H = Height (highest point) to wheels

Kia Seltos
D 4315mm
W 1800
H 1620

Mach E
D 4712
W 1881
H 1597

Mustang
D 4789
W 1916

H 1387

Mazda CX-5
D 4550
W 1840
H 1675

The CX-5 is my wife's car and the Seltos is my current car. I threw in the Mustang as a reference for the Mach-E. It's also the car I use as a rental car most frequently when traveling.

The Mazda was predictably the tallest of the cars chosen. What surprised me was that the Mustang coupe is both longer and wider than the Mach-E and longer and wider than each SUV in the comparison.

I'm happy that the Mach-E will provide more length and width than the Seltos without a huge loss in height. I think the height of the Seltos is perfectly situated between car and SUV, so the Mach-E should be about right. I guess I can expect the Mach-E to feel like a taller Mustang with similar feel length-wise, which is kind of exciting.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Another thing to keep in mind when comparing a ground up BEV to an ICE vehicle is that similar exterior size does not translate to similar interior space. The MME can allocate more space to the occupants because they aren't needed for the ICE components.

OP
OP
MrRossKeys

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Another thing to keep in mind when comparing a ground up BEV to an ICE vehicle is that similar exterior size does not translate to similar interior space. The MME can allocate more space to the occupants because they aren't needed for the ICE components.
Yes! I have noticed this for sure. I'm glad Ford went the dedicated route instead of taking the body of an ICE vehicle and throwing electric in it. It's like the best of all worlds having a smaller exterior with a larger interior.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Yes! I have noticed this for sure. I'm glad Ford went the dedicated route instead of taking the body of an ICE vehicle and throwing electric in it. It's like the best of all worlds having a smaller exterior with a larger interior.
it makes a big difference in doing it that way. One of the reasons ford is getting a lot of love also you are correct.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Like a TARDIS. :)
Sponsored