Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Ford.com has this tip about improving DC fast charging times in cold weather. I'm guessing this may just be referring to those staying in the car during charging:

"When using a DC fast charger in colder weather, the charge rate can be maximized by turning the vehicle climate system off for the first 10 minutes of charging to allow the battery to warm up and to help improve energy transfer. "
I was not in the car so that is not applicable. Climate was turned off the entire time.
Sponsored

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Hoping the OTA update comes soon to pre-condition the battery when a charger destination is set in the nav.
Does any EV have an option to just "start preconditioning battery, I want to charge in X miles/Y minutes)? Seems like that would be useful also?

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Does any EV have an option to just "start preconditioning battery, I want to charge in X miles/Y minutes)? Seems like that would be useful also?
We used to have a BMW i3 that had pre-condition on demand.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
The BMW i3 and Kona? Or Niro? Maybe both? They have a battery heater that preconditions. However, they only warm the battery up to like 55/60ish F. It's enough to warm the battery so your cold weather range is closer to your warm weather range. Unfortunately, not really enough to get peak fast charging speeds.

But even that has got to be better then the nothing the Mach-E has.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
No, but I wish I had. I was just so tired I didn't want to be bothered with trying another one. So I just let it charge until I had enough to get going.

It was a very long day.
I saw on Plugshare that someone got 140kW! I wonder what plug it was.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
In Tesla this is not an option, it's by default.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I saw on Plugshare that someone got 140kW! I wonder what plug it was.
WHERE??? I wish Alex had gone to a faster charger, he obviously was in prefect charging weather conditions

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
I got up to 85 kW at an EA station with a temperature of 30 degrees. It takes a few minutes to get to max throughput, though...maybe warming the batteries?

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
I got up to 85 kW at an EA station with a temperature of 30 degrees. It takes a few minutes to get to max throughput, though...maybe warming the batteries?
One would think after a 200 mile trip the batteries would be warm.

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
I did have an interesting thing happen to me last night. I was setting up my wife's profile on her phone and the phone as a key feature and I needed to get in the car to finish setting it up and the car would not unlock for me. I couldn't use the keypad on the door, either. I had to use the keyfob to get back in. And the car only comes with one keyfob. BTW, I tried to use the app to unlock it and that didn't work either.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's what I always assumed too. But apparently simply driving it doesn't do a lot to warm the batteries.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
That's what I always assumed too. But apparently simply driving it doesn't do a lot to warm the batteries.
Here's a video about how fast you actually have to drive to warm a battery. It's with the ID3. Exact temps are probably different for the Mach-E, but the idea is the same.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here's a video about how fast you actually have to drive to warm a battery. It's with the ID3. Exact temps are probably different for the Mach-E, but the idea is the same.
Interesting. So his assumption was that 30C (86F) is the ideal temp to charge at max speed. Sounds about right from what I've read.

Unfortunate that he seemed to have to go 160 km/h (100 MPH) to really get it up there. 130 (80 MPH) looked like it might have gotten there over a long drive, although it was close. That's the scenario I care about, as the only time I expect to DCFC charge is between legs of a long trip at highway speeds.

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Interesting. So his assumption was that 30C (86F) is the ideal temp to charge at max speed. Sounds about right from what I've read.

Unfortunate that he seemed to have to go 160 km/h (100 MPH) to really get it up there. 130 (80 MPH) looked like it might have gotten there over a long drive, although it was close. That's the scenario I care about, as the only time I expect to DCFC charge is between legs of a long trip at highway speeds.
So, to warm up the battery enough, you have to risk a speeding ticket or being charged with reckless operation? That's craptastic.

To my knowledge, there are only 2 states in the USA that have 80 mph speed limits. Montana and Nevada.
Sponsored