Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I saw on Plugshare that someone got 140kW! I wonder what plug it was.
Based on my experience with my Kona for longer trips, it is more likely that the charge station needs service. There are several "charge modules" inside every charger. A 350kW might have quite a few (each Charge Point module has 12.5 kW output - don't know what brand EA used at that site). If one or more modules are faulting off, output will be reduced. If this station has 2 plugs on the unit, each plug possibly is software limited to 175 kW, although it can be programmed to put all power through 1 plug. This is the only station on a long stretch of highway, so may see a lot of use. If a few of the modules are no longer operating, one plug could be limited in output power. Call the service number on the station and ask, usually they can run remote diagnostics and determine if the station is fully functional or requires service.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Waiting over an hour and half at a Taco Bell just to complete a 300mi trip. Good lord.... Ford’s gotta improve the charging stuff pronto. It’s half-baked.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Ford told me you can only have one Paak which is why trying to set up a second phone maybe messing it up.
Only one Paak? That does not sound right to me.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Should really be getting two key fobs for married couples. Sounds like the phone as key idea is just too darn complicated.
I asked my dealer to provide me with a second because of PaaK issues. He has not responded.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Waiting over an hour and half at a Taco Bell just to complete a 300mi trip. Good lord.... Ford’s gotta improve the charging stuff pronto. It’s half-baked.
That was a problem with the charger, not the Mach-E or Ford.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That was a problem with the charger, not the Mach-E or Ford.
Doesn’t matter. It was Ford that relied on a poorly developed third party infrastructure, and the end result is the same: dude’s stuck at a Taco Bell for an hour and a half just to get home.

These are not isolated issues. Moreover, they don’t appear to be just on the supply side. The MME’s overly conservative charging cliff and lack of precharge conditioning also play a role.

Ford was always going to start at a disadvantage to Tesla when it comes to public charging, but some of this is self-inflicted.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I asked my dealer to provide me with a second because of PaaK issues. He has not responded.
Mine is checking the price for me. He couldn't find that exact fob in the parts system yet (probably too new) but he's checking to see if a regular Mustang fob will work.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Doesn’t matter. It was Ford that relied on a poorly developed third party infrastructure, and the end result is the same: dude’s stuck at a Taco Bell for an hour and a half just to get home.

These are not isolated issues. Moreover, they don’t appear to be just on the supply side. The MME’s overly conservative charging cliff and lack of precharge conditioning also play a role.

Ford was always going to start at a disadvantage to Tesla when it comes to public charging, but some of this is self-inflicted.
Tesla had similar issues with their early ones. All part of the early adopter curve. I have more faith that Ford will fix the issues faster though because the technology is further along now, and better. And they learned a lot from Tesla's mistakes. And they sell way more vehicles, and have been at it for a century, so they have the infrastructure and experience to build cars better from the start, and fix them better when there is a problem.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Mine is checking the price for me. He couldn't find that exact fob in the parts system yet (probably too new) but he's checking to see if a regular Mustang fob will work.
It‘s listed on parts.ford.com, so they should be able to find it, though it may be backordered. With any luck, they‘ll only charge you the bizarre MSRP of $34.34.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla had similar issues with their early ones. All part of the early adopter curve. I have more faith that Ford will fix the issues faster though because the technology is further along now, and better. And they learned a lot from Tesla's mistakes. And they sell way more vehicles, and have been at it for a century, so they have the infrastructure and experience to build cars better from the start, and fix them better when there is a problem.
Boy I hope so. I consider myself “lucky” to still be several months away from my order going into production. I sure would like to see that promised first OTA update materialize soon, and at least address the precharge conditioning issue. Maaaaybe that’s the primary problem.

I’m not holding my breath for any material modifications to the charging curve in the near future - but if I can reliably get from 10-80% in the promised 40mins or so, that’s ok for now.

I worry that there’s something fishy going on with the EA and other DCFC providers. The more I learn about electric utility tariffs and the rather extreme Demand kW pricing for commercial entities in some territories, it seems plausible that EA could be deliberately throttling back performance to distribute the demand and reduce their expenses. There are so few DCFCs in parts of the country that there is little competitive incentive to boost performance. I wonder if Ford investigated this before partnering with these third parties?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I worry that there’s something fishy going on with the EA and other DCFC providers. The more I learn about electric utility tariffs and the rather extreme Demand kW pricing for commercial entities in some territories, it seems plausible that EA could be deliberately throttling back performance to distribute the demand and reduce their expenses. There are so few DCFCs in parts of the country that there is little competitive incentive to boost performance. I wonder if Ford investigated this before partnering with these third parties?
I don't think that's it at all. You'd see that showing in Plugshare comments for other vehicles if that were the case.

The power level is determined by the car, not the charger. People are reporting similarly slow charging on non-EA chargers too. It's highly likely this is a BMS tuning issue relating to batteries not being warm enough.

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
People interested in cold weather charging need to watch Bjorn Nyland's MME video posted today. He found buried in the manual that running climate control in the cabin while charging at low temperatures (he's in Norway) cuts heat that would otherwise go to the battery to improve the charge rate. With cabin heat on he was charging at 30kW. With cabin heat off he got 106kW.

Link to the part of the video where he demonstrates this:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I was told it would have be a separate order from your car purchase. Same they told me for the interior mat package, which I forgot to add when I placed my order last fall.
Sponsored