ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Do you know when this MME was built? Was it one that was built completely on the line in Mexico?
I love that new roof info.
Thanks.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Firefighter (Gary) -
Q: Is there going to be a receptacle to plug in a maintenance charger to the 12-volt battery or is there easy access to the 12-volt battery? -
A: The terminals are easily accessible.
There is a receptacle that you can use....in a round-a-bout way. If it is possible, you can plug in your J1772 connector to an EVSE while the vehicle is parked for an extended period (such as your garage etc). Then, all you have to do is schedule some Go Times. Once a week should do it but you could even run a daily schedule, 3 times a week....whatever. When a Go Time is set, the car wakes up and will enable the DC to DC converter. That will effectively top up the 12v battery if it was slightly depleted.

Just tossing out another option in case you have the need. When I traveled abroad last year, I did just that and when I returned home the car was all ready to go. I was gone about 28 days....

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Do you know when this MME was built? Was it one that was built completely on the line in Mexico?
I love that new roof info.
Thanks.
I believe this one was manufactured a couple months ago. I’m not sure about the specifics but it had some mileage on it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
But is it persistent? Seems from the ride along that it’s not a persistent view.
oh, that's a very good point actually. OK, a camera for the rear view but only for the rear view, not the backup camera. The backup camera belongs only on that big-ass screen.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
My Honda has a great feature where the side camera turns on when the right blinker is turned on. It gives great awareness to the blind spot on the right. Any idea if MME will have this?
Except you have to break the habit of looking at the mirror....and it only works when the turn signal is on. That stopped me from buying an accord...that and the audio volume on a screen instead of a button.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Here are the answers to all your questions (I think). I’m sorry if I missed a few. If you have any additional, I will try to respond and recall from memory. I’m glad you could all be a part of this ride in some way.
Q: How is the transition from regen to disc braking? Similar to the set-up in the 2017 Fusion Energi?
A: 1-pedal driving is regen. The regen is based on how much you lift off the accelerator. We’re not familiar with the Fusion Energi’s set-up, but he said he wouldn’t ever use disc brakes again since the 1-pedal driving is so intuitive.

Q: Can the DCFC rate ever be increased or is the 150kW based on wiring sizes or other limitations?
A: That is regulated by software. It could be increased if an OTA update is pushed out allowing it.

Q: In retrospect, was there anything about the car that you saw or experienced which either made you think, "Oh that's not quite right?" or "Oh that's really clever?"
A: I hate the knob shifter. But I love the push-button doors

•There is a constant chime when backing-up to alert pedestrians, as well as an audible sci-fi sound.
First....thanks for all the photo's and all the answered questions. As others have said you deserve a beer, a slice of cake, a whole pie or a joint. Next time I'm in Dearborn....

I asked about the transition from regen to "real" braking because Ford did such a good job in the Fusion getting the transition smooth. So many hybrids fail in that aspect. As the driver I feel responsible for any abrupt changes in acceleration or sound/vibration that my passengers might experience.

Have driven the M3 & MY and experienced Tesla 1-pedal driving so I understand his point. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature. My wife wasn't a fan though and might not put in the time to re-learn braking when she won't be in the MME daily.

Very excited to hear that the DCFC charge rate isn't limited solely by hardware. Maybe we'll see incremental improvements in the charging curve over time.

I think the shifter knob will grow on you. Works well in our Fusion. [Looks to be further back here though.] After a while you forget it was ever novel. I used to think I would never get used to the position of the shifter on my Sienna, now I expect all vans to be similar.

Thanks again for all the info and pics

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
ew, no. A proper camera in the giant infotainment screen is a BILLION times better than a tiny-ass screen in the rear view mirror.

I've rented a bunch of GMs with the camera screen in the rear-view mirror, and it's always way, way too small, compared to an infotainment screen camera. It's just AWFUL.
The Bolt's is different from any other GM car--you don't get a postage stamp sized view in the side of the mirror; its the whole mirror.

In the Bolt they use the day/night switch on the bottom of the mirror: Flip it one way and you get a normal mirror like you'd expect, flip it the other way and the entire mirror becomes a panorama of what is behind you. That is whats nice about it is that the camera view is so much wider than the normal view out the rear window.

Oh wait I think I have a pic:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast 2018-04-03 17.22.52

Note that you don't see any frame of the rear window or anything, just a wide shot of what is behind you.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for all the information, Great Job!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yeah that's nice on that bolt rear view mirror. After driving Volvo suv's for the past few years with the huge rear windows, driving Tesla's was rear slit shock to my system. I turned the always on giant camera on and that helped a lot. I couldn't drive one without that. The mirror camera in the bolt above is even better, because that is where we are trained to look. I still think eventually that will be a ubiquitous as reverse cameras in a couple years. I'm hoping the ME's rear head rests can fold down.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
dbsb3233 -
Q: I'd love to get a measurement from driver seat butt to the ground, if not too difficult. Eyeball it to the seat lip near the butt, then subtract the lip height to get butt height off the ground.
A: Sorry, your question didn’t make the cut. But it’s low. Lower than Model Y… Model 3 maybe?
Not even a ball park when you swung your feet out how far they were from the ground? Were your knees, at your chin, chest, hips? Sounds like a real negative the way it is worded as the 3 is a sedan and not why SUV's appeal to people.

Model 3 4,694 mm L x 1,933 mm W x 1,443 mm H
Mach-e 4724 mm L x 1880 mm W x 1600 mm H

6" higher. < 1 1/4" longer

Appears a bit higher than a 3 too me?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast Mace_M3

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Not even a ball park when you swung your feet out how far they were from the ground? Were your knees, at your chin, chest, hips? Sounds like a real negative the way it is worded as the 3 is a sedan and not why SUV's appeal to people.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast Mace_M3
If I had to guess, it was a happy medium between a Model 3 and a Model Y. I didn't think too much about it, considering I didn't have any issues with ingress/egress. I had an ATS at one point, and that was god awful. Lower than a Model 3, I think. I only really think about it when I personally have to struggle to get in/out. I was much more focused on other things! ?

See this pic of a Model Y vs MME for comparison.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast Tesla-Model-Y-vs-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-hero

Your Model 3 vs MME seems quite close. I provided another pic of the Model 3 next to a MME.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast Capture.JPG

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Except you have to break the habit of looking at the mirror....and it only works when the turn signal is on. That stopped me from buying an accord...that and the audio volume on a screen instead of a button.
I had a Volt for a while that had the blind spot warning lights in the mirrors, then I got the Clarity that has the camera under the right side mirror and the display when the right hand turn signal is on. I much prefer the warning lights in the mirror to the display of the right side.

First, the warning works on both sides, but the display is only for the right side - I still have the blind spot on the left.

Second, I have only one place to look instead of two, with the disruption of changing view and focus between the two of them. The display is not so useful if you are in the right lane and somewhat distracting when it flashes on the screen.

I also miss the warning when backing up with a car coming from the side. My Volt had it and the Honda does not - you are supposed to see the traffic in the wide angle view. I'm not clear how that will work in the MME. I assume a warning flashing in the backup camera view, that points to the side the traffic is coming from, but some kind of beep would be good also perhaps.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
My Accord has a button you can push (on the turn signal) to turn on the camera anytime you want. It’ll stay on until you turn it off. When I drive a car that doesn’t have the feature, it takes me a while to adjust. I like this Accord very much, but it’s time to upgrade.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast Capture.JPG
That confused me too, since the Mach-e is more than 6" taller than the Model 3 and nearly the same height as the Model Y.

I think it's like he said... That question simply didn't make the cut. He said it felt fine to him, so I think I'll just dismiss the M3/MY comments. Without measurements it's just too subjective to try and compare something like that from memory, especially when not actively focusing on it. He was quite busy with everything else.

Mach-e and Model Y height and headroom numbers are listed nearly the same (within an inch), so makes sense that seating height is about the same too. No way to tell for sure though until we see one in person.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That confused me too, since the Mach-e is more than 6" taller than the Model 3 and nearly the same height as the Model Y.

I think it's like he said... That question simply didn't make the cut. He said it felt fine to him, so I think I'll just dismiss the M3/MY comments. Without measurements it's just too subjective to try and compare something like that from memory, especially when not actively focusing on it. He was quite busy with everything else.

Mach-e and Model Y height and headroom numbers are listed nearly the same (within an inch), so makes sense that seating height is about the same too. No way to tell for sure though until we see one in person.
The Y and MME seem to be just about the same size, so it stands to reason that the seat height is similar. Maybe if you're near a tesla store go take a Y for a test drive?
Sponsored