Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
The black onyx seats don't look to black to me. I have change my seats color to light space grey because on all previous pictures I had seen the black onyx and ceiling color looked very dark, but not in this picture, but I'm not changing again but this black grey onyx looks just fine on this picture.
The leather is pretty dark (very much a dark gray). It was a very bright day, so the pictures are kind of an illusion on the leather. When the doors are closed, it's much different.

The glass roof makes a difference too. It is a smart glass roof. Since it was so bright yesterday, I could barely see out of it. Couldn't feel the sun at all, felt like a black headliner. But he said that at night, you could see the stars.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The glass roof makes a difference too. It is a smart glass roof. Since it was so bright yesterday, I could barely see out of it. Couldn't feel the sun at all, felt like a black headliner. But he said that at night, you could see the stars.
Thank you! That (and seat height) were my two biggest questions.

So sounds like the glass is basically like a pair of photo-gray eyeglasses, darkening in the sunlight.

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Thank you! That (and seat height) were my two biggest questions.

So sounds like the glass is basically like a pair of photo-gray eyeglasses, darkening in the sunlight.
"photo-gray eyeglasses" *on steroids* ?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would assume that there aren't any holes on that badge. Probably just adhesive.
After second thought maybe this badge is wrong anyway, I mean shouldn't be eAWD instead?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
After seeing the blue stitching inside the grabber blue, I may change my order to red stitching to stand out more.
Stitching contrast color isn't a factory option. For North America:

Order the GB FE and you'll get blue co tract stitching. Order the FE in RR or CG to get red stitching.

GT (or at least certain GTs) get orange contrast features.

All other trims with black seats use white contrast stitching, and with the light gray seats, I think it's same color stitching.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Stitching contrast color isn't a factory option. For North America:

Order the GB FE and you'll get blue co tract stitching. Order the FE in RR or CG to get red stitching.

GT (or at least certain GTs) get orange contrast features.

All other trims with black seats use white contrast stitching, and with the light gray seats, I think it's same color stitching.
Actually, red or blue sticking is an option for the Carbonized Gray (CG); my dealer asked me my preference.

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
And what was your impression about heat? I'm a little bit afraid of the car is getting hot while the sun is shining. ?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
@jdmrc93 In retrospect, was there anything about the car that you saw or experienced which either made you think, "Oh that's not quite right?" or "Oh that's really clever?"

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It may have changed since June, but this was in the dealer's order guide:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E First Edition Ride Along Review and Q&A from Site Member/Enthusiast 1599321880927
Just saying that my dealer asked what stitching I wanted, red or blue. Maybe he was wrong but, we were working through the order sheet when I was asked.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
@jdmrc93 In retrospect, was there anything about the car that you saw or experienced which either made you think, "Oh that's not quite right?" or "Oh that's really clever?"
Objection --- Leading the Witness.

OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Here are the answers to all your questions (I think). Iā€™m sorry if I missed a few. If you have any additional, I will try to respond and recall from memory. Iā€™m glad you could all be a part of this ride in some way.

Firefighter (Gary) -
Q: Is there going to be a receptacle to plug in a maintenance charger to the 12-volt battery or is there easy access to the 12-volt battery? -
A: The terminals are easily accessible.

Prius2pony (Jeff) -
Q: Please report on the color. I'm curious how *metallic* the paint is on infinite blue & grabber blue- if either of those end up being your ride. -
A: The ā€œGrabber Blueā€ had a slight metallic tinge to it. Itā€™s hard to describe, you have to see it in-person. But it is beautiful and turned EVERY SINGLE HEAD. I got a kick out of watching everyoneā€™s reactions on the road.

JellyBelly (Kris) / Mach-E VLOG (Patrick) similar questions -
Q: Wondering how noisy or quiet is the car? -
A: VERY quiet. With all artificial sounds turned off, it was no louder than a Tesla. It was well insulated. As for the artificial sound, it changes with every drive mode, ā€œUnbridledā€ being the most noticeable. The artificial sound can be turned off completely, regardless of drive mode. Though, there is a low speed sound that the car makes, which isnā€™t terribly loud.
Q: Sync lag [also asked by ChasingCoral (Mark)] -
A: No lag. VERY snappy. I was incredibly worried about this and I finally slept soundly knowing that it is a well refined system. I never thought another manufacturer would be able to get on the level of Teslaā€™s infotainment. But Ford knocked this out of the park. To top it off, it was well laid out and beautiful to look at. Pretty and functional. It clearly has a good processor, RAM, and GPU backing up the HTML5-built system. Iā€™m confident in saying that you will be impressed. The knob doesnā€™t feel out of place, either.
Q: Rear view visibility [also asked by agoldman (Alan) and ChasingCoral (Mark)] -
A: It wasnā€™t great, Iā€™ll be honest. It gets the job done, but I would give it a 5/10. Iā€™ve seen worse, if itā€™s any consolation. The front facing, 360, and rear cameras make up for it, though, which you can summon at any time (albeit, temporarily). They are very high quality. The C-pillar is a little blindspotty, too (yes, I made that word up).
Q: Ride quality -
A: Fantastic. That was my other biggest worry. I hate the idea of ordering a car without feeling how it handles our AWFUL Michigan roads. It took bumps like a champ. It felt planted, yet luxurious, like a nice Cadillac. It should be noted that this model did not have run-flat tires. There was very little body roll, and you could tell there was a low COG.

agoldman (Alan) -
Q: I'd also like to know how you think the seats feel -
A: Theyā€™re comfortable. Hugs you a little, but I didnā€™t have too much focus to play with the seating controls/lumbar. They didnā€™t stand out as uncomfortable, so thatā€™s a plus. Iā€™ve gotten into many cars where my first thought was how uncomfortable the seats are. This was not one of those occasions.

Maric -
Q: If Premium AWD, any word on actual 0-60?
A: From my experience (and timing it from my videos), I would put it at 5 to 5.5 seconds. Since it was the First Edition, it was a 4X model.

dbsb3233 -
Q: I'd love to get a measurement from driver seat butt to the ground, if not too difficult. Eyeball it to the seat lip near the butt, then subtract the lip height to get butt height off the ground.
A: Sorry, your question didnā€™t make the cut. But itā€™s low. Lower than Model Yā€¦ Model 3 maybe?

DiscWiz (David) -
Q: Can you give us an update on lane centering and how the car handles?
A: He didnā€™t get much of a chance to demo the autonomous features (including basic safety systems), but he said that they work very well and will easily rival Tesla and will exceed Teslaā€™s current capabilities. They are working day and night refining this system, and said this tech has been on the bench for more than 2 years, constantly testing.
Q: Is the 15 inch display intuitive to use and how does the physical nob interface with it?
A: See my above comments.

macchiaz-o -
Q: I'd love for your report back to us to be full of fluffy wording like "throwback styling" and "heroic high speed cornering with the firm pillow feel of a modern steel coaster."
A: Couldnā€™t have said it better myself. Reminds me of the ā€œMaverickā€ at Cedar Point. Maybe they asked for Intamin AG's input? ?

krafty81 [also asked by sbdb3233 (Tim) and silverelan] -
Q: I would like to know if the glass roof seems to let in a lot of heat or is unobtrusive?
A: It is a smart *PASSIVE* glass roof. Since it was so bright yesterday, I could barely see out of it. I couldn't feel the sun at all, felt like a black headliner. But he said that at night, you could see the stars.

Regularmache (Stephen) -
Q: Really want to know how much usable space in the hatch with the ER battery eating into the space, not sure if its and ER, but wife is worried won't have as much usable space as her Murano.
A: Looked pretty big to me, I would say Model Y-ish for a real world comparison. I didnā€™t notice any ā€œeating into the spaceā€.

Tsand4 (Todd) -
Q: Interested in sound quality of B&O sound bar.
A: Sounded fantastic. Itā€™s no ā€œBurmester Audiosystemeā€ from a Mercedes S-Class, but it gets the job done quite well.

Woeo (Jeff) -
Q: The Fusion Energi and other cars make use of ā€˜noise cancelingā€™ technology to reduce noise in the cabin. Will the Mach-E make use of similar tech?
A: There isnā€™t any active noise cancelation, it is quiet enough.
Q: How is the transition from regen to disc braking? Similar to the set-up in the 2017 Fusion Energi?
A: 1-pedal driving is regen. The regen is based on how much you lift off the accelerator. Weā€™re not familiar with the Fusion Energiā€™s set-up, but he said he wouldnā€™t ever use disc brakes again since the 1-pedal driving is so intuitive.
Q: I understand a ā€˜hitchā€™ will be an available accessory in Europe but not here. Is there anything about the U.S. models that would limit aftermarket installations?
A: Should be able to install one after-market.
Q: Could the reserved battery capacity be made available over the air if, with time, Ford determines battery life is better than expected? Or in an evacuation scenario similar to what Tesla did in Florida?
A: Unknown as of now, but it is a possibility.
Q: Can the DCFC rate ever be increased or is the 150kW based on wiring sizes or other limitations?
A: That is regulated by software. It could be increased if an OTA update is pushed out allowing it.
Q: Can he discuss the charging curve in any detail?
A: We did not go that in-depth into charging.
Q: PaaK. Can adjust ac heating temp?

A: Yes. Car can be pre-conditioned in many ways (including battery), as well as on a schedule via the app.

ChasingCoral (Mark) -
Q: Is the top speed really limited at 111 mph? ?

A: ?
Q: Please provide an assessment and video of the view out the back window through the rear-view mirror. There are so many cars where you just can't see out the back. I'm hoping the Mach E isn't one of them.
A: See above comments.
Q: Are the back seat headrests removable, especially the middle one?
A: Yes.
Q: How does it handle in the twisties?
A: Fantastic! See above comments.
Q: How does that B&O stereo sound?
A: Fantastic! See above comments.
Q: How about some door handle closeups?
A: I forgot to get pictures of them directly, but some photos exist out there already. They are the new style.
Q: Does installing the front license plate holder require poking holes in the front?
A: Yes.
Q: Would use of a tow hook-style front license holder mess with the radars?
A: Unknown.
Q: How does the "flat" deck work in the back?
A: I donā€™t understand the question.
Q: How easy is it to remove the panels in the front to access the 12V battery?
A: Very easy.

trutolife27 -
Q: Like to see how bright the different color lighting effects are.
A: Not terribly visible during the day, but could kind-of see it in the footwells. Very similar to other ford vehicles with Ford MyColor.
Q: Test the 0-60 time
A: No. (kidding, it was between 5 and 5.5 seconds).
Q: look at the underpinning of the rear end bumper area.
A: What about it???
Q: Which door handles are on it.
A: The new ones (not the winged ones that you can stick a few finger through, more like a trough ā€œŃ†ā€ shape)
Q: How does it feel in corners? Does the weight even out.
A: Very planted with a low COG. See my above comments.
Q: Any new updates on the software.

A: See above.

Wildthing -
Q: Pictures of the headrest adjustments. In the premium itā€™s 4-way so you can tilt front and back. Is the adjustment long enough to find the perfect position?
A: Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of it directly, but I had no issue with the headrest. It was already in an ideal position for me.

Kamuelaflyer (Bill) -
Q: In retrospect, was there anything about the car that you saw or experienced which either made you think, "Oh that's not quite right?" or "Oh that's really clever?"
A: I hate the knob shifter. But I love the push-button doors. I wish the interior was a little more ā€œMustang inspiredā€ but itā€™s still a modern, good looking and functional interior.

A few of my own personal notes (jdmrc93, Joe) -
ā€¢Side-view mirrors are very small, smaller than the average Mustang coupe. They are not frameless, but they do fold-in automatically when locking the vehicle.

ā€¢There is a constant chime when backing-up to alert pedestrians, as well as an audible sci-fi sound.

ā€¢The artificial sound for the engine noise, especially the unbridled version, sounds amazingā€¦ Futuristic, but aggressive.

ā€¢There is a typical Ford key-FOB included with the vehicle. You can enter the vehicle with a pin on the door, and you can also start your vehicle with a pin on the screen, after it says that it doesnā€™t detect a phone.

ā€¢There is no button for rear tailgate in-cabin, it is only accessibly via screen (there is a button on the hatch itself, though)

ā€¢Door chimes are traditional Ford, but a little easier on the ears.

ā€¢Back seat leg/head-room was comfortable. I wouldnā€™t want to travel more than a couple hundred miles in it, but not bad for around town or short trips.

ā€¢The hood-lines are very striking from the front seats.

ā€¢There is no information regarding Apple CarKey integration currently.

ā€¢For those asking about mi/kWh or overall range, here are some notable comments:
1) He drives the vehicle rather aggressively.
2) He keeps the AC on.
3) For him, with the 4X, expect 230-240 miles comfortably. Range anxiety kicks in after that, like when your gas light comes on. Itā€™s not that you canā€™t go farther, he just hasnā€™t tested it, personally. But expect official numbers to be around 3.6 mi/kWh.

ā€¢If I didnā€™t answer your question, it is because I didnā€™t bring a tape measure or level with me.

Iā€™m glad I could offer a window into the MME for you, and it was a fantastic experience. I canā€™t wait for us all to have one in our garages/driveways. I know what my FE looks like in my driveway! Now, back to plebeian status for the time being.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdmrc93

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Here are some additional photos (a couple I extracted from video)...

The rather small side-view mirrors:

IMG-9160.jpg

A few drive mode switches:

IMG-9161.jpg

Another of the car:

IMG-9144.jpg