Mach-E Flipped

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Way back in 2019, before the Covid we had never even thought of, I reserved a Mach-E Premium. It finally showed up early in March this year. I really wanted to order a GT, but, as we know, it was unavailable at the time. So I kept the Premi order and also reserved a GT. Now it's time to finalize that GT reservation, so I need to trade or FSBO the Premium. What's it worth? There is little to no used Mach-E data on the usual auto pricing sites. Some dealerships have "used" Mach-Es with demo mileage, and they're usually priced at or above MSRP. Have any forum members found any used Mach-E pricing info, and if so, where?
Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would try Carvana and Vroom. They can at least be used to set your price floor, and they actually seem to be paying very competitive prices for used cars right now. That's where I would start.

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
The problem will be unloading a car which will not qualify for a tax credit when brand new ones do. Unless you can find someone who doesn't have a tax liability anyway (or has so much money they don't care), you might be hard pressed to get MSRP - 7500.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The problem will be unloading a car which will not qualify for a tax credit when brand new ones do. Unless you can find someone who doesn't have a tax liability anyway (or has so much money they don't care), you might be hard pressed to get MSRP - 7500.
The OP will still get the full $7500 credit, right? If there is someone who doesn't qualify for the full $7500 tax credit (say, his tax liability is only $4000) and the OP is selling at MSRP-7500, this will be an attractive offer for that person. Right?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Way back in 2019, before the Covid we had never even thought of, I reserved a Mach-E Premium. It finally showed up early in March this year. I really wanted to order a GT, but, as we know, it was unavailable at the time. So I kept the Premi order and also reserved a GT. Now it's time to finalize that GT reservation, so I need to trade or FSBO the Premium. What's it worth? There is little to no used Mach-E data on the usual auto pricing sites. Some dealerships have "used" Mach-Es with demo mileage, and they're usually priced at or above MSRP. Have any forum members found any used Mach-E pricing info, and if so, where?
Aren't you still a few months off from taking delivery of the GT though if you are only now in a position to transform that reservation into an order?

Not sure what used Mach-Es are worth at the moment, but it seems some Teslas (I'm thinking of the Model 3 in particular) have had really high used price values because there were so few used Model 3s in the first couple of years after it went on sale, so you may very well see something similar to that here at least initially.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I was talking to my Ford dealer about a used car for my daughter today. He recommended waiting because prices are inflated by 35% due to a lack of inventory.

Also, my wife wants to upgrade her two year old telluride and the trade in value on Carvana is what I paid for it.

Someone will buy it when you're ready to unload it.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
There are too many variables, which also depend on location. Here in CA the total amount of credits, rebates, incentives for a new car is running about $14k. Used car buyer won't get any of it. Then there are unrecoverable expenses like tax, registration, fees, perhaps some part of financing, your mileage may vary.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well, one guy posted a used FE on here for about $22k over MSRP. That thread didn’t end well.
Noit didn’t did it? That might be used as the, “This price is a tad too high” price point. ;)

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As for the prices, I see 19 used Mache-s listed here. You can price it little higher and see how it moves, then adjust as needed.
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...RCH&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&zc=95148
Strange, they say used but the milage on some of these are 25 or less. My guess is that these are the demos that were titled in the dealers name. My local dealer told me the other day that Ford changed the demo resale terms. So it appears they can sell them now without having to wait. That would explain the high amount of ones for sale with very low milage.

My dealer also said (NJ), that the lower end MME's are not selling as well when on the lot. Most customers are looking for AWD with the extended Battery.

I think the tax rebate really becomes a big issue when one is not entitled to it. However I would think if the dealer does not claim the rebate than the new owner can? Doesn't the IRS check by VIN and accepts one claim. Not sure how you check if it was claimed already but maybe this doesn't even exist as an option.

I do wonder how this all works for the DEMO MME's being sold now?

Anyone know without guessing?

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
As for the prices, I see 19 used Mache-s listed here. You can price it little higher and see how it moves, then adjust as needed.
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...RCH&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&zc=95148
Thanks EVS. I checked it out (and others). Many of them are priced over MSRP and/or pricing not listed. Buyers would have to call the dealership to verify if the car is new or used, and find out the true OTD price. I think disappointment would be the result of most of these calls. We know how many dealerships work.

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I'm working with my dealership on this. They don't really know how to price it. We decided to wait until July or so. The GT is scheduled to go, and I would think it will show up in October. I'm willing to split the $7.5k which I'll recover next year from the IRS. Also, keep in mind that trading it in will reduce my state sales tax, 7% in PA ($3k). I think I could come out ahead, especially if I can talk my sales manager into doing a courtesy trade.
Sponsored