Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE in Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
Great info; a lot more detail than I've seen on the issue, which confirms a lot of individual posts and possibilities mentioned on these forums.

The hosts call out that the GT Performance branding certainly will set different expectations for people who prioritize performance. I think I'll still enjoy the car, as 95% of the time the performance will be better than my current car (2013 Golf R) but the times I get less performance will stand out in my mind.

I hope I don't regret my purchase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is the first I've heard in detail about the amp hour metering being the limiting factor. From the sounds of it, @OutofSpecKyle has had some in-depth discussions with Ford engineers on what is happening, Ford's philosophy on power limitations, and what may change in the near future.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Great info; a lot more detail than I've seen on the issue, which confirms a lot of individual posts and possibilities mentioned on these forums.

The hosts call out that the GT Performance branding certainly will set different expectations for people who prioritize performance. I think I'll still enjoy the car, as 95% of the time the performance will be better than my current car (2013 Golf R) but the times I get less performance will stand out in my mind.

I hope I don't regret my purchase.
I have done many hundreds if not thousands of 1/4 mile passes in V8 Mustangs, and hundreds of laps around road courses (Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Road America, Putnam Park) in that same V8 Mustang, typically in the fastest street-car run group. Meaning, I know and love performance. I am aware of the MME GT limitations, but I still like driving it and rarely run into much power throttling. With that said, I am over 50 years old and not doing canyon bombing... Its shockingly fast around town and fine on the highway, but you aren't going to be outrunning any performance car at speed.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is the first I've heard in detail about the amp hour metering being the limiting factor. From the sounds of it, @OutofSpecKyle has had some in-depth discussions with Ford engineers on what is happening, Ford's philosophy on power limitations, and what may change in the near future.
The good news to me is that its pretty clearly somewhat arbitrary, and definitely conservative. That means Ford likely could make it "better" and not risk much in the way of damage or longevity. Whether they WILL do so or not remains to be seen.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Without the sensors as described in the video then I canā€™t see how they can improve this with an OTA.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
I have done many hundreds if not thousands of 1/4 mile passes in V8 Mustangs, and hundreds of laps around road courses (Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Road America, Putnam Park) in that same V8 Mustang, typically in the fastest street-car run group. Meaning, I know and love performance. I am aware of the MME GT limitations, but I still like driving it and rarely run into much power throttling. With that said, I am over 50 years old and not doing canyon bombing... Its shockingly fast around town and fine on the highway, but you aren't going to be outrunning any performance car at speed.
Agree. I already have a race car - I just need a fast and entertaining street car. ?

AstralLiving

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
Thanks for this. I was reacting with anxiety to that video, but you're helping me feel better.

To add: looking back at The Smoking Tire's canyon run in the GTPE, Matt Farah had no comments about limiting there. I bet canyon runs will be mostly fine, especially at my skill level. I'm in Austin, TX where there are a few canyon-like roads but their speeds are well under 70. There are longer opening roads where some crazy speeds can be obtained, but I'll just have to accept that I won't be going crazy there (and besides, I'd rather not lose my license).

My current car is an example of similar critic response. The 2013 Golf R in the US was slightly detuned and had fewer tech features than the EU version. Critics hated the un-defeatable ESC. I love driving this thing, but those critics' legit concerns affected my love for the car at first. I'll try to avoid being so influenced this time.

AstralLiving

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
Without the sensors as described in the video then I canā€™t see how they can improve this with an OTA.
I think they'll just have to go about it differently.

Maybe it will be increased to 6 or 7 seconds before limiting once there's enough data. Or the limiting can come on more gradually.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Thanks for this. I was reacting with anxiety to that video, but you're helping me feel better.

To add: looking back at The Smoking Tire's canyon run in the GTPE, Matt Farah had no comments about limiting there. I bet canyon runs will be mostly fine, especially at my skill level. I'm in Austin, TX where there are a few canyon-like roads but their speeds are well under 70. There are longer opening roads where some crazy speeds can be obtained, but I'll just have to accept that I won't be going crazy there (and besides, I'd rather not lose my license).

My current car is an example of similar critic response. The 2013 Golf R in the US was slightly detuned and had fewer tech features than the EU version. Critics hated the un-defeatable ESC. I love driving this thing, but those critics' legit concerns affected my love for the car at first. I'll try to avoid being so influenced this time.
Well, donā€™t come at me in our 4X out on SH130 in the 80-85mph section because Iā€™ll make you regret it all the way to 114mph where Iā€™ll shut it down and flip the hazards on! ??. Kidding, kidding.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well, donā€™t come at me in our 4X out on SH130 in the 80-85mph section because Iā€™ll make you regret it all the way to 114mph where Iā€™ll shut it down and flip the hazards on! ??. Kidding, kidding.
I know youā€™re kidding, but not really kidding. You still seem to think that thereā€™s a race the 4x can win.

I donā€™t think one exists except the following bench race:

Start at zero, floor it to 80, but put the 4X 5 car lengths ahead to start so that they meet up right at 80mph.

But then the race only starts at 80 and ends at 110. And maybe the 4X noses ahead?

If you start a roll race at 80 instead? GT wins.

I am still shocked that in 5 months no one has lined them up yet.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I know youā€™re kidding, but not really kidding. You still seem to think that thereā€™s a race the 4x can win.

I donā€™t think one exists except the following bench race:

Start at zero, floor it to 80, but put the 4X 5 car lengths ahead to start so that they meet up right at 80mph.

But then the race only starts at 80 and ends at 110. And maybe the 4X noses ahead?

If you start a roll race at 80 instead? GT wins.

I am still shocked that in 5 months no one has lined them up yet.
What I think is the fact we even talk about 4Xs running with GTs is flat out stupid. Itā€™s all joking because itā€™s a joke. And Iā€™m just not sure who would win from an 80 hit up to 110+, I really donā€™t know. And thatā€™s pathetic. We donā€™t get gray bars ever, at 80 or 90 even, it just jumps out and pulls all the way up. So, saying a GT wins starting at 80ish is, so far, not demonstrable.

But, one of you GT guys please go get a dragy run from 30-100mph faster than 10.2-10.3, because I already have 2 in coolish weather (60s) at 75-80% SOC. Iā€™ve posted them. I really want the GT to be faster. Because Iā€™d like my wife to trade her 4X on a sweet GTPE, you know?

Aside from one YouTube video of a ā€œgoodā€ GT run from 70ish to 110mph (where a rubbish wagon later passed it ?) thereā€™s nothing but bad numbers after the 1/8th mile from Car and Driver, Edmunds, MT, owners on the forum etc.

From 0-110mph (per Car and Driver) a 4X is 2.3 seconds faster, thatā€™s a fact, as preposterous as it may sound.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
What I think is the fact we even talk about 4Xs running with GTs is flat out stupid. Itā€™s all joking because itā€™s a joke. And Iā€™m just not sure who would win from an 80 hit up to 110+, I really donā€™t know. And thatā€™s pathetic. We donā€™t get gray bars ever, at 80 or 90 even, it just jumps out and pulls all the way up. So, saying a GT wins starting at 80ish is, so far, not demonstrable.

But, one of you GT guys please go get a dragy run from 30-100mph faster than 10.2-10.3, because I already have 2 in coolish weather (60s) at 75-80% SOC. Iā€™ve posted them. I really want the GT to be faster. Because Iā€™d like my wife to trade her 4X on a sweet GTPE, you know?

Aside from one YouTube video of a ā€œgoodā€ GT run from 70ish to 110mph (where a rubbish wagon later passed it ?) thereā€™s nothing but bad numbers after the 1/8th mile from Car and Driver, Edmunds, MT, owners on the forum etc.

From 0-110mph (per Car and Driver) a 4X is 2.3 seconds faster, thatā€™s a fact, as preposterous as it may sound.
Ha! I knew you believed it!

That video where a wagon passed it was in below 40 degree temps. A 4X acceleration would likely suck too.

The only video Iā€™ve seen that was near full charge and in decent weather is posted on the GT Facebook page. I wish I could post it but I did the screen shots instead. And I know you saw those since you commented.

I definitely agree that itā€™s silly itā€™s even a debate. I blame Ford.

I did see the C&D 0-110 thing. Just sad.

I believe thatā€™s what they timed it at. But I would like to see them do it at the same state of charge and weather. We know how temperamental these cars are.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ha! I knew you believed it!

That video where a wagon passed it was in below 40 degree temps. A 4X acceleration would likely suck too.

The only video Iā€™ve seen that was near full charge and in decent weather is posted on the GT Facebook page. I wish I could post it but I did the screen shots instead. And I know you saw those since you commented.

I definitely agree that itā€™s silly itā€™s even a debate. I blame Ford.

I did see the C&D 0-110 thing. Just sad.

I believe thatā€™s what they timed it at. But I would like to see them do it at the same state of charge and weather. We know how temperamental these cars are.
? I donā€™t believe it, I just donā€™t know, agnostic I suppose. Really.

And yeah, I saw the one guy run 12.1-12.2@105+ and yet no mainstream test has exceeded 101-102mph on a 12.5 or so. And they charge up to 80%+ SOC as a matter of course for best test numbers, because they say so.

And as far as 4X under 40F, sure itā€™s subject to the same laws of physics as any lithium ion EV, but, Iā€™ve felt less difference in pull below 40 than I was expecting, range, not so much haha. Iā€™ll get some dragy numbers in below 40F and see where they land.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.