Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The part of the press release that drew my attention was the mentioning of releasing the reserve that ford has placed on the battery pack. The Mach E has a 99kwh battery but they have software restricted it to 88kwh the way it looked to me is they are suggesting in future reserving less of the battery with the GT and will offer this as an OTA to current non GT models. Reread the official announcement and post your thoughts.

I have had real good luck with range the app/ onboard range meter showed 290 miles the other day. And several times the car has exceeded 270 miles even driving on the highway. My trip to Chicago last week it went 258 miles and still had 8% range left when I got to the hotel.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT and GT Performance Edition Hit Final EPA Range of 270 miles and 260 miles! D1AFFECD-76F0-4A8D-8ECF-29DB1D4F45B2
Sponsored

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The part of the press release that drew my attention was the mentioning off releasing the reserve that ford has placed on the battery pack.
I re-read the original post. I didn't see any hints that more than 88kWh is available. The spec sheet says it's the same capacity as the regular ER cars.

MME GT spec sheet

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I re-read the original post. I didn't see any hints that more than 88kWh is available. The spec sheet says it's the same capacity as the regular ER cars.

MME GT spec sheet
From the press release

The GT models only come with the larger of the two Mach-E batteries. It's listed at 88 kwh, reflecting Ford’s shift to listing usable capacity for its EV batteries. Ford has also suggested that future range and performance boosts are possible via over-the-air updates, which so far are slated to bring Amazon Alexa connectivity and BlueCruise driver-assist technology

and you are correct is just says future range and performance enhancements are possible but it does not say how this would be achieved. It’s possible by restricting less of the battery, or tuning for efficiently.

Last edited:

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
There may be a thread with this topic already, so feel free to point me there if needed.

Knowing legacy manufacturers focus on building to scale and therefore "reuse" various components across multiple product lines, does anyone know how many different types of "electric motors" Ford is using? Could it be possible that all of the "AWD" models are using the same motors in the front and back and therefore just software tuning them as needed? I.e. only 2 different motors exist X in the front and Y in the rear.

This to say that in the future Ford might be able to get additional cash out of us by saying something similar to Tesla. For $2000 we can unlock an additional x HP/Torque/Range/etc.

Thoughts?

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
There may be a thread with this topic already, so feel free to point me there if needed.

Knowing legacy manufacturers focus on building to scale and therefore "reuse" various components across multiple product lines, does anyone know how many different types of "electric motors" Ford is using? Could it be possible that all of the "AWD" models are using the same motors in the front and back and therefore just software tuning them as needed? I.e. only 2 different motors exist X in the front and Y in the rear.

This to say that in the future Ford might be able to get additional cash out of us by saying something similar to Tesla. For $2000 we can unlock an additional x HP/Torque/Range/etc.

Thoughts?
No. What I read is the non-GT models use a larger rear motor than front motor. The GT uses that rear motor in both the front and rear. the GTPE has some calibration to get a little more power from it.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag

Thoughts?
At the reveal, they displayed the two motors used in the Mach-E. All models have a larger motor in the rear. Premium and lower AWD models use a different, smaller motor in front. The GT models use the same larger motor in front and rear. So no, software changes won't make every Mach-E as fast a GT.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
At the reveal, they displayed the two motors used in the Mach-E. All models have a larger motor in the rear. Premium and lower AWD models use a different, smaller motor in front. The GT models use the same larger motor in front and rear. So no, software changes won't make every Mach-E as fast a GT.
Thanks, I didn't realize the same motor was used in both the front and back of the GT.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
No. What I read is the non-GT models use a larger rear motor than front motor. The GT uses that rear motor in both the front and rear. the GTPE has some calibration to get a little more power from it.
Maybe this is just me being a little hopeful but if the GTPE has some calibration to get a little more power from it...and it is the same as the rear motor in all models...perhaps they could "calibrate" at least the rear motors in non-GT models...

Also, based on the 60:40 bias of the GT (https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-first-ride-review-exclusive/) maybe there is a little more power to be obtained.

I probably should start another thread but the numbers just aren't adding up...

Last edited:

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe this is just me being a little hopeful but if the GTPE has some calibration to get a little more power from it...and it is the same as the rear motor in all models...perhaps they could "calibrate" at least the rear motors in non-GT models...

Also, based on the 60:40 bias of the GT (https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-first-ride-review-exclusive/) maybe there is a little more power to be obtained.

I probably should start another thread but the numbers just aren't adding up...
Yes, my assumption is they will be able to produce some more range or speed (or both) through some future software updates (likely changing how much power is going through the inverter). They could call more battery power to spin the motors faster.

My other assumption is they aren't fully using everything available to them yet in the motor (and we know the battery), to stay safely conservative.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, my assumption is they will be able to produce some more range or speed (or both) through some future software updates (likely changing how much power is going through the inverter). They could call more battery power to spin the motors faster.

My other assumption is they aren't fully using everything available to them yet in the motor (and we know the battery), to stay safely conservative.
A good read of the few I've found:
https://www.irishevs.com/ev-updates-increase-range

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
I believe the front motor in non GT mach E's is basically the same unit that was used in the Focus Electric.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I believe the front motor in non GT mach E's is basically the same unit that was used in the Focus Electric.
These companies having EVs already is so weird to me, it's like they never advertised it. I never knew VW or Ford already had full EVs before the Mach E.
Sponsored