ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Drove 20 miles from a relatives to my hotel with three others on board with me. The winter storm over performed the forecast in Cincinnati, so we were met with 3-4 inches of untreated covered roads the whole way to our hotel.

Key Takeaways:
- As long as it’s not ice and just snow, the car handles fine on all season tires.
- Keep 1PD engaged. The transition from power to deceleration keeps things smooth and traction pretty well dailed in. I never touched the brake pedal.
- ABS takes over even in 1PD mode if it detects slippage. Never lost control but the car let ABS take over on one downhill-while-turning-on a banking section at about 25mph. Did just fine.
- As with many situations while driving, it’s not you that you should be worried about, it’s the others around you. A car flew past us at 45MPH on 275 only to end up in the guardrail 10 minutes down the road.
- Without an engine under the hood, our car accumulated nearly 3/4 of an inch of snow on the hood. It was never an issue, but I do worry if on a longer drive the build up would become problematic for visibility/reduced headlight performance.
- Car remained perfectly comfortable for all passengers. Heat was set to 68 with front and rear defrost. No complaints. With our glass roof there was no build up of snow on top of the car.

In general I’m very impressed. This is NOT a Mustang in the sense of winter weather performance. With a set of proper winter tires I’m sure it’s a beast.

Oh, and the car looks like an absolute stunner in the snow.

There’s only one problem, the car is now on the charger and FordPass is telling me it’ll only have 155 miles when fully charged. Something must be broken with the car. Any ideas? ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT in Cincinnati snow storm - driving experience & feedback 0A84C400-29FF-424C-91B7-5F2CD22099EA
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I don’t think snow buildup on the hood will be an issue unless it’s an awfully wet snow. Normal highway speeds should blow it off.

OP
OP
ElectrifyCLT

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think snow buildup on the hood will be an issue unless it’s an awfully wet snow. Normal highway speeds should blow it off.
True. Good point. Roads were pretty shot so we were going 25-30mph. Speed would have helped but unrealistic if the roads are already gone.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There’s only one problem, the car is now on the charger and FordPass is telling me it’ll only have 155 miles when fully charged. Something must be broken with the car. Any ideas? ?
It's a known issue when driving on odd numbered roads. Just drive on even numbered roads and you'll triple your range. It's on the internet so it must be true. ?

As for the 1PD, I think I disagree. I took Scarlett out tonight to grab takeout, and 1PD seemed to be harder to keep surefooted compared to with it off. When I had stick shift ponies I always used the clutch to slow down in snow and I thought 1PD would be the same, but the granularity of control was too little. That is, it felt too hard to feather properly to slow down gradually without slipping and/or the ABS kicking in. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to adjust to it, but I've seen others make the same comment about 1PD.

OP
OP
ElectrifyCLT

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a known issue when driving on odd numbered roads. Just drive on even numbered roads and you'll triple your range. It's on the internet so it must be true. ?

As for the 1PD, I think I disagree. I took Scarlett out tonight to grab takeout, and 1PD seemed to be harder to keep surefooted compared to with it off. When I had stick shift ponies I always used the clutch to slow down in snow and I thought 1PD would be the same, but the granularity of control was too little. That is, it felt too hard to feather properly to slow down gradually without slipping and/or the ABS kicking in. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to adjust to it, but I've seen others make the same comment about 1PD.
Maybe drive mode has a part in it? I was in whisper, dulling throttle input.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think you’re right. However, if it is snowing, normal highway speeds may not be advisable.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Maybe drive mode has a part in it? I was in whisper, dulling throttle input.
While I normally drive in Unbridled, I think a switch to Whisper would be advisable for snow & ice.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
While I normally drive in Unbridled, I think a switch to Whisper would be advisable for snow & ice.
Agreed - I have found our GT did very well in poor weather in whisper mode. (also normally drive in unbridled).

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag

In reference to your previous stick shift cars, I can't imagine why anyone would choose 2 wheel braking over 4 wheel braking in slippery conditions. Much the same as 4wd helps accelerate in slippery conditions by using the traction of all 4 wheels, brakes at all 4 corners would be far more effective at slowing down than engine braking which only slows the driven wheels. Perhaps if braking and turning with RWD before the age of ABS this may be a way to divide the slowing and turning duties but still seems like a less than ideal way to drive in the slippery. This is coming from someone who has driven many stick shift cars through Wisconsin winters.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In reference to your previous stick shift cars, I can't imagine why anyone would choose 2 wheel braking over 4 wheel braking in slippery conditions. Much the same as 4wd helps accelerate in slippery conditions by using the traction of all 4 wheels, brakes at all 4 corners would be far more effective at slowing down than engine braking which only slows the driven wheels. Perhaps if braking and turning with RWD before the age of ABS this may be a way to divide the slowing and turning duties but still seems like a less than ideal way to drive in the slippery. This is coming from someone who has driven many stick shift cars through Wisconsin winters.
I agree 100%. Using the clutch to brake in the snow would be largely ineffective in a Mustang because you would only brake the rear wheels. I can't see how it would be easier to control either. I have driven manual trans V8 Mustangs in the snow many times and using the brakes as normal (except gently) seemed most effective to me.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Is it an issue with the LED headlights since they don’t generate much heat, in contrast to halogens which do? Just wondering if snow ever accumulates enough to dull the headlights and if you ever have to stop to wipe them off.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OP, I am in Northern KY, not too far from the airport. If you need anything let me know. Named Kevin and have a Mach E GT too ;)