Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Car and Driver already knows something is up. They estimate a 1/4 mile ET of 12.3-12.5 but a 0-100mph of 12.0-12.2. Usually when they have a 0-60 of 3.5-3.8 and a 1/4 of 12.3ish they would put the 0-100 at 9-10 secs. And rightly so, because that’s normal. So, they’re already on to the 1/4 mile issue via the Forum and/or they’ve done some preliminary Runs with their VBox prior to the full instrumented tests.

Not good either way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37920445/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-drive/

Motor Trend doesn’t even guess.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-electric-first-drive-review/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
They typically do the embargo so that all outlets have a chance to get their video ready and can release them all at once so you don't get people rushing to get their video out first. This helps keep from outlets putting out incorrect information due to rushing and not verifying the info. Also, sometimes they can't get everyone in a car in one event. So you might have a few groups of people testing the car over a couple events. It just evens the playing field for reviewers.
This does make sense, but it doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Maybe the “embargo” thing is SOP, but I’ve been reading car reviews for decades, and this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an embargo.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Car and Driver already knows something is up. They estimate a 1/4 mile ET of 12.3-12.5 but a 0-100mph of 12.0-12.2. Usually when they have a 0-60 of 3.5-3.8 and a 1/4 of 12.3ish they would put the 0-100 at 9-10 secs. And rightly so, because that’s normal. So, they’re already on to the 1/4 mile issue via the Forum and/or they’ve done some preliminary Runs with their VBox prior to the full instrumented tests.

Not good either way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37920445/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-drive/

Motor Trend doesn’t even guess.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-electric-first-drive-review/
Yup a 0-100mph of 12 seconds for AWD with 480hp and no way to fluff a gear change is embarrassing,

As to Motor trend

"Pirelli summer tires, Brembo six-piston front brake calipers, and MagneRide adaptive dampers."

No it has the same Brembo font calipers as every other mach-e just with a Brembo logo on them :(, heck the original ford published specs stated 4 piston calipers in the rear which doesn't have. Does Ford even hand out correct info at these events, or do they just let people make stuff up :( Or where they handed specs of what it should have been lol.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Can GTPE owners chime in? Autoblog mentioned the ride being harsh over bumps, opinions?
I drive the GTPE in Unbridled 24/7. The bumps are a little rough especially with BlueCruise enabled. I have an entire thread about this subject and how BC handles these bumps very poorly.

Based on my previous driving of high performance cars and on the race track bumps are expected to be felt. It's hard to describe or correlate this car to any other I've driven, mostly because you can tell you have a "fast tank". The heft of the car is very very obvious.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Yup a 0-100mph of 12 seconds for AWD with 480hp and no way to fluff a gear change is embarrassing,

As to Motor trend

"Pirelli summer tires, Brembo six-piston front brake calipers, and MagneRide adaptive dampers."

No it has the same Brembo font calipers as every other mach-e just with a Brembo logo on them :(, heck the original ford published specs stated 4 piston calipers in the rear which doesn't have. Does Ford even hand out correct info at these events, or do they just let people make stuff up :( Or where they handed specs of what it should have been lol.
It does not. They are Brembo calipers on all models, but they are not the same on the GTs vs lesser models.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
Ford is downplaying/hiding the quarter mile times. Ford could have rented a drag strip for the media day and have trained drivers on hand to wring out the best ETs before letting the bloggers try it. That’s exactly what they did for the GT500 in Vegas last year. This is all the result of a conscious decision.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
They typically do the embargo so that all outlets have a chance to get their video ready and can release them all at once so you don't get people rushing to get their video out first. This helps keep from outlets putting out incorrect information due to rushing and not verifying the info. Also, sometimes they can't get everyone in a car in one event. So you might have a few groups of people testing the car over a couple events. It just evens the playing field for reviewers.

Maybe the “embargo” thing is SOP, but I’ve been reading car reviews for decades, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an embargo.
And now it’s time for the reviews of the reviews! Just to answer a couple questions - this event was intended as a “first drive” opportunity. Which essentially is an appetizer for further in-depth testing at a later date. It’s a great opportunity to share vehicle information at a high level with an audience who isn’t looking for things that are overly technical.

As soon as these cars are available in local media fleets and opened up for longer-term loans, then we’ll see the real testing happen! I can’t speak for other outlets, but I know we will be putting the car through its paces with charging tests, capacity tests, range tests, thermal management tests, accelerating tests etc.
I will say yours was the best review I’ve seen so far. Bonus points for the fact that you chime in here.

Can you give any more details on the comment about 1/4 mile trap speeds and “they are working on it?”

Like who said what exactly?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

Maybe the “embargo” thing is SOP, but I’ve been reading car reviews for decades, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an embargo.

In a past life, I used to professionally review video games for a couple of well respected sites. Embargos are nothing new to me and while a good number of them are for reasons as explained above, some of the more strict embargos ended up being because the company knew they shipped an incomplete or buggy product and wanted to control the media buzz so as not to adversely effect sales.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thermal management seems to be the main concern here. I think they could have done better with the battery pack heat spreader between the pouches. They are using a single metal plate between pouches which I don't believe will pull heat away fast. I don't know they're going to be able to solve the problem without a change to the design.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Endgadget says "What’s more, Ford is offering two years of complimentary use of its Blue Oval Charge Network.". Dont recollect seeing that elsewhere
Don't be misled. You get complimentary *access* to the "Blue Oval Charge Network," which is actually a combination of 3rd party networks with which Ford has negotiated memberships, but not 2 years of complimentary *charging.* (By the way, my dealership salesperson, who was otherwise well-informed about the Mach-E and is excellent overall, missed that distinction the other day while I was ordering my GT.) All Mach-E purchasers also get at least 250 kWh of free charging from Electrify America (Some got more because of production delays), but that's only roughly 3 full charges of the extended-range battery. See https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/#charging for details. {Jonathan}

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
And now it’s time for the reviews of the reviews! Just to answer a couple questions - this event was intended as a “first drive” opportunity. Which essentially is an appetizer for further in-depth testing at a later date. It’s a great opportunity to share vehicle information at a high level with an audience who isn’t looking for things that are overly technical.

As soon as these cars are available in local media fleets and opened up for longer-term loans, then we’ll see the real testing happen! I can’t speak for other outlets, but I know we will be putting the car through its paces with charging tests, capacity tests, range tests, thermal management tests, accelerating tests etc.
Thanks for the info. and the review, Kyle, but fewer thanks for making me feel badly about my ordering the non-PE GT this past Friday! :) (Fact is, I didn't want the extra-bolstered seats or the summer tires, and don't live around canyons, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied with *only* 600 lb/ft of torque and a slightly bumpy ride. :) )

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
So when it comes to performance, one thing that keeps me sane is (and I hate to invoke the name) in 2012, the Tesla Model S Performance was 4.6 0-60 and had a 1/4 trap speed of 103. They've had a 10 year head start. This is Ford's first performance EV and they're doing pretty damn well. Again, I'm not going to track this car so the seat of the pants experience will be plenty enough to make me smile.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Ok, this is a new one for me on the MME. In Lauren’s Car Coach review, she stated that the regen braking adds power back to the battery from heat generated by the brake pads. I think she is referring to an ICE system, not EV. Motor-Generator; left hand-right hand; blah blah.
In case you haven’t seen many of her other videos, it’s completely normal for them to be riddled with technical errors and completely wrong information, especially when it comes to electric vehicles. Her review of the regular Mach-E last year was embarrassing. Not sure who she’s supposed to be coaching.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
All Mach-E purchasers also get at least 250 kWh of free charging
For the GTPE I got 500 kwh. I'm not sure what vehicles that's available on however per the memo I've seen I believe it's available to all trims. You get 250 kwh originally with the purchase of the car and an additional 250 kwh when activating plug and charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT Official Reviews Are Here! 1633970555773

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ok I’ve only read the first two so far. Can GTPE owners chime in? Autoblog mentioned the ride being harsh over bumps, opinions?

Side note, it seems ARSTechnica thinks the Performance Edition is the trim to get but Autoblog says it’s not worth the money. Interesting takes
that means it's probably not worth the money since all other things being equal, AT really is embarrassingly terrible at car reviews and Autoblog... isn't.
Sponsored