blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
More like Christmas morning and you find out you got a pair of socks.

They made us wait months for this? A few more “official reviewers,” but zero “official reviews.”

Where are the track tests? Drag strip, real road course. Skidpad numbers? Braking distance? Head to head drag races? Anything?

This is just a long list of fluff pieces of people telling us it feels pretty quick, handles pretty well, looks pretty good and is pretty comfortable.

Tell us something we don’t know. No really! We want to know the stuff we don’t already know!

I did at least find this nugget from Motorauthority “Unlike other performance cars, the suspension isn’t adaptable on its own but tied directly to the Performance Edition’s drive modes: Whisper, Engage, and Unbridled. Unfortunately, drivers who want to set the suspension into a different mode by itself will be disappointed, though Ford said such capability could be added at a later date via an OTA update.”
To be fair though most reviewers don't straight up test the numbers of cars they drive. I think Redline Reviews is one of the few that takes a Dragy with him. Most reviewers say "Yeah that's damn fast, Ford claims 0-60 in 3.5 and it feels like it" or something along those lines. I think having some like Matt Farah review it who's more into exotic car reviews will be the ones that say 'It punches you in the face until about 70 and then for some reason tapers off quickly', but even then you aren't going to get definite numbers. And to be honest Redline Reviews would probably confirm the 0-60 on his dragy and that's it.

I haven't had time to read all of the posts here or even watch any reviews, but that's what I'm expecting.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
For the GTPE I got 500 kwh. I'm not sure what vehicles that's available on. You get 250 kwh originally with the purchase of the car and an additional 250 kwh when activating plug and charge.
I believe the extra 250kwh was for the Delay that GT's got. Even if you didn't actually get delayed it will be added to your account if your car was in that group.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
'It punches you in the face until about 70 and then for some reason tapers off quickly'
After doing 0-60 in the GTPE about 50 times now I can confirm this is exactly what happens. The 0-60 will pin you back and it's in the 3's for sure.

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
"This does make sense, but it doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Maybe the “embargo” thing is SOP, but I’ve been reading car reviews for decades, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an embargo."
Embargos are very normal now in the car world. They day the Toyota 86 embargo lifted I had around 8 different youtubers on my feed. You see it with bigger car. This way no one gets the "scoop." In the tech world, it can be bad. Not in the car world.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
So when it comes to performance, one thing that keeps me sane is (and I hate to invoke the name) in 2012, the Tesla Model S Performance was 4.6 0-60 and had a 1/4 trap speed of 103. They've had a 10 year head start. This is Ford's first performance EV and they're doing pretty damn well. Again, I'm not going to track this car so the seat of the pants experience will be plenty enough to make me smile.
Ford had a 100 year head start on Tesla when it comes to car making so I guess Tesla making a horseless carriage with a range of 6 miles and a top speed of 12 would have been acceptable.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
that means it's probably not worth the money
Being someone who paid the money and driven both... it's really up to the driver and what they are expecting. The value of anything is really subjective to the desires of the owner.

If you're looking for a car that's fun and fast then get the GTPE, if you are looking for something to cruise around in and get the most range possible then don't.

Being completely honest - would I have purchased the non-GTPE - No. If I would have wanted a car that didn't have the GTPE performance I probably would have purchased a cheaper EV from another mfg. Additionally, I am disappointed with interior for the money. The fit and finish of cheaper German mfgs is far superior on the inside. There's a ton of plastic and the whole "vegan", non-leather thing, is a huge turn off for me. Again, to each their own, but I wish they would have given us an option. The GTPE seats looks like an ugly stepchild product from the combination of a sheep and cow (clothy/pleathery mix). The dash trim should have been carbon, but instead it's plastic with a sticker on it.

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Ford had a 100 year head start on Tesla when it comes to car making so I guess Tesla making a horseless carriage with a range of 6 miles and a top speed of 12 would have been acceptable.
Sure, and that's why the fit and finish is far better than a Tesla. A performance EV drivetrain isn't 100 years old though

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Being someone who paid the money and driven both... it's really up to the driver and what they are expecting. The value of anything is really subjective to the desires of the owner.

If you're looking for a car that's fun and fast then get the GTPE, if you are looking for something to cruise around in and get the most range possible then don't.

Being completely honest - would I have purchased the non-GTPE - No. If I would have wanted a car that didn't have the GTPE performance I probably would have purchased a cheaper EV from another mfg.
I was being facetious. :)

kidding aside - I would probably do the PE but I just can't bring myself to trade in the First Edition this soon. but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't given it thought. ;)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
This does make sense, but it doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Maybe the “embargo” thing is SOP, but I’ve been reading car reviews for decades, and this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an embargo.
It’s more recent due to the proliferation of online video content. There wasn’t much of a need for it when we were awaiting our newest edition of whatever mag to arrive in the mail, haha. All mags were like 3-4 months out from the actual drive/testing. Now these YouTubers are ready in a week or so. Blame it on @OutofSpecKyle ?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Anyone else that can’t wait til Mat Watson from CarWow gets a hold of a GT and runs it against the usual Tesla suspects? That’s gonna be epic on the roll race portions ??? I bet he puts Yianni in the GT haha

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Car and Driver already knows something is up. They estimate a 1/4 mile ET of 12.3-12.5 but a 0-100mph of 12.0-12.2. Usually when they have a 0-60 of 3.5-3.8 and a 1/4 of 12.3ish they would put the 0-100 at 9-10 secs. And rightly so, because that’s normal. So, they’re already on to the 1/4 mile issue via the Forum and/or they’ve done some preliminary Runs with their VBox prior to the full instrumented tests.

Not good either way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37920445/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-drive/

Motor Trend doesn’t even guess.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-electric-first-drive-review/

Based on the 3.5 and 3.8 0-60 times they post, I think they might be giving their estimates for both the GT and the GTPE.

Aside from that, they often do comment what their ballpark thoughts are on 0-60 when they do a First Drive test like here, I didn't catch any type of comment along the lines of, 'Ford claims 0-60 of X seconds, but that seems a little ambitious to us' in those two reviews.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So when it comes to performance, one thing that keeps me sane is (and I hate to invoke the name) in 2012, the Tesla Model S Performance was 4.6 0-60 and had a 1/4 trap speed of 103. They've had a 10 year head start. This is Ford's first performance EV and they're doing pretty damn well. Again, I'm not going to track this car so the seat of the pants experience will be plenty enough to make me smile.
What’s funny is I think you intended this post as a compliment to Ford.

Instead to me it reads more like an insult.

“You’re as fast as a first try, decade old BEV from a brand new company…….. good try Ford with your century of experience and decade to let technology advance.”

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
What’s funny is I think you intended this post as a compliment to Ford.

Instead to me it reads more like an insult.

“You’re as fast as a first try, decade old BEV from a brand new company…….. good try Ford with your century of experience and decade to let technology advance.”
Honestly its not meant to compliment anyone. It's meant to underline that making EVs is hard

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
Not trying to spam the forums (mentioned this in a couple other threads) but thought this bit of information was relevant here to this convo:

Here (24:38, few seconds in/past that) Kyle from OutOfSpec says Ford is working on 1/4 mile optimizations. He says it pretty fast but it is clear he said they are working on it and named an engineer he has been talking to in the previous sentence. Also said he'll be testing it more when he gets a car to test for longer.

Sponsored