buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
So when it comes to performance, one thing that keeps me sane is (and I hate to invoke the name) in 2012, the Tesla Model S Performance was 4.6 0-60 and had a 1/4 trap speed of 103. They've had a 10 year head start. This is Ford's first performance EV and they're doing pretty damn well. Again, I'm not going to track this car so the seat of the pants experience will be plenty enough to make me smile.
If you treat is as a premium++ with more get up and go with a sportier looking front end and some larger wheels that when you push the go pedal in normal driving will offer plenty of performance due the instant torque of an EV, then you will enjoy it.

There are various aspects to performance vehicles and what makes them fun so you don't always need a billion bhp and face melting acceleration, it really is a your mileage may vary situation. However in the EV space due to weight the largest performance carrot is typically acceleration, so if you are expecting the best that an EV can offer in this regards you will be disappointed.

Is it worthy of performance edition naming? IMO the answer to that is a big fat NO as it falls short of what a performance Ford should offer in a number of aspects beyond just the acceleration. Using older Ford trim names this would really be close to what you would have expected if was called a mach-e sport but seeing as Ford already weak sauced the ST name with the Edge ST may as well add GT to the list.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Putting aside some people's frustrations with the acceleration over 50+ mph and quarter mile times...the interesting comparison questions I've heard asked is, which is better, Model Y Performance vs. GT vs. GTPE?

@OutofSpecKyle and Edmunds.com say the GTPE is the better daily driver against the Model Y Performance.

@AoA says the 4X is the better value vs GT/PE

Redline Reviews says he's getting the GTPE.

The Topher (substitute reviewer) says GT is the one to get over 4X and GTPE.

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
After doing 0-60 in the GTPE about 50 times now I can confirm this is exactly what happens. The 0-60 will pin you back and it's in the 3's for sure.
A few of the reviewers mentioned a "5-Sec boost of power" that Ford gave the GT's. . That would explain why it falls off around 70-75.

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
I don't have one, but when I drove the Mach-e I loved it. It felt like more of a car. It had a nicer interior, better range, and felt more polished than a Model Y. There is a trade-off for that weight and finish. It can either be more expensive (it isn't) or be a bit slower (it is). I like that trade-off.

"But I want something faster AND nicer" ~ Pay more
"A GT should have performance" ~for a CUV EV, it does

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
I did.

A YLR with Acceleration Boost is 57k.

A MYP is 62k.

My GTPE was $69,440.
A Model YP is $62k without any options ticked and it doesn't have a tax credit. Your GTPE has everything at $69k.

But I think the "nicer" part still goes to the Mach-e. Something about it just felt so much more lively and spirited to me. Now, that is a very subjective statement, but these reviews show that many car journalists felt the same thing.

And by more, it might be around $90k for something like BMW's offerings.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A Model YP is $62k without any options ticked and it doesn't have a tax credit. Your GTPE has everything at $69k.

But I think the "nicer" part still goes to the Mach-e. Something about it just felt so much more lively and spirited to me. Now, that is a very subjective statement, but these reviews show that many car journalists felt the same thing.

And by more, it might be around $90k for something like BMW's offerings.
You have a few options, 1) exterior paint, 2) interior (white option), 3) Full Self Driving, 4) Tow Hitch
Add in blue, black or gray and that adds $1000. Red is $2000, I believe. White is a $1000 option. FSD is $10k. Tow Hitch is $1000.
So if you go with one of the non red color options, black interior, $63000. $64000 with tow hitch.
If you go red with black interior,$64000. $65000 with tow hitch.
If you red with white interior, $65000. $66000 with tow hitch.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Check out Kyle at Out of Spec Reviews. His expression is priceless. He does a good job of talking about the handling on the canyon roads.
I liked what he said the best. At very end he tells us he prefers the GTPE over the Tesla Y.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did.

A YLR with Acceleration Boost is 57k.

A MYP is 62k.

My GTPE was $69,440.
and on the Teslas, you can do more than one spirited run. With the 3 Performance and Track Mode, you can do about 2 laps on a 2 mile road course before heating becomes an issue, so essentially 4 miles of hard acceleration and braking, or 21,120 feet. On the Mach-E, you might get 660 feet before the cooling becomes an issue.

It's pretty sad that you literally get one short full throttle run in the non-Unbridled Extend modes and the car puts you in granny mode already.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I've seen them all now. I though the best comment came from Kyle when he talked about how the magna ride was a huge driving improvement.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
A lot of these reviewers own performance Teslas, like Kyle from OutofSpec and Soyfan from Redline Reviews. They were still having a blast driving the GT on the street and didn't mention any kind of turtle mode throttling like the premium can experience when driven hard on canyon roads. I'll never take a big heavy SUV like this to the track or autocross, so if it is a fun street car, which it's looking like it is, then it will be great for me.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
and on the Teslas, you can do more than one spirited run. With the 3 Performance and Track Mode, you can do about 2 laps on a 2 mile road course before heating becomes an issue, so essentially 4 miles of hard acceleration and braking, or 21,120 feet. On the Mach-E, you might get 660 feet before the cooling becomes an issue.

It's pretty sad that you literally get one short full throttle run in the non-Unbridled Extend modes and the car puts you in granny mode already.
It will be interesting to see what reviewers make of it once they can get them instrument tested, if they also really see such a falloff in performance.

How long do people like to drive around a track anyhow? While 4 miles and 2 laps is definitely better than what you are citing for the Mach-E, that doesn’t sound like much of a track day to me either.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I don't have one, but when I drove the Mach-e I loved it. It felt like more of a car. It had a nicer interior, better range, and felt more polished than a Model Y. There is a trade-off for that weight and finish. It can either be more expensive (it isn't) or be a bit slower (it is). I like that trade-off.

"But I want something faster AND nicer" ~ Pay more
"A GT should have performance" ~for a CUV EV, it does
Neither the mach-e or the model-Y come remotely close to the interior quality expected at this price point, lets kid ourselves there is a lot of hard scratchy plastic in all the wrong places in the cabin of the mach-e and it lacks features one would normally expect in this class of CUV, however due to the issue of BEV's costing more than an ICE which the tax credit helps offset I will cut ford some slack here, but once the tax credit goes on the mach-e it needs a hair cut on the price otherwise if Ford wants to continue playing in the premium price points sandbox then they need to add premium features.

Onto the second point, again I am the expectation where any performance was a bonus, but it really doesn't come close to the expected performance of a 480bhp EV CUV, Ford certainly have the engineering talent but so far when it comes to making a performance CUV they have only made one real good attempt at it and the mach-e GT/GTPE is a long way from being the second, starting to think there is more than a hint of the marketing department getting ahead of engineering and nobody telling them otherwise, if you ignore all the performance marketing and go in open eyed thinking GT-Line I think most people will be very happy.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I work nearby to where they were doing this event, and crashed it in my Mach-e... I was wondering why there were so many GT's flying around Alameda. It was pretty cool to see all the colors and GT models...

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You have a few options, 1) exterior paint, 2) interior (white option), 3) Full Self Driving, 4) Tow Hitch
Add in blue, black or gray and that adds $1000. Red is $2000, I believe. White is a $1000 option. FSD is $10k. Tow Hitch is $1000.
So if you go with one of the non red color options, black interior, $63000. $64000 with tow hitch.
If you go red with black interior,$64000. $65000 with tow hitch.
If you red with white interior, $65000. $66000 with tow hitch.
I think you're also missing the ADAS packages. The GTPE with BlueCruise + glass roof adds something like $2400 but it costs another $10k for Tesla FSD to get some of the same functionalities. In the end, there's a pretty massive jump from the fully loaded MME GTPE of $61390 (after $7500 federal tax credit) vs. Tesla multi coat red Model Y Performance with FSD at $73990.
Sponsored