Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Remote starting (plugged in or not) will pre-heat the cabin, but not the battery (other than incidentally). To preheat the battery, you need to use a planned departure time which preconditions the battery - takes 45 minutes to an hour. Really wish Ford would add a way to do this for 1 time use instead of having to set and then delete a schedule each time.
I think this could be at least partially incorrect for GTs. I know without a doubt that if you drive off with no remote start at all, you have the gray bars for several minutes. If you do remote start, and wait for 5+ minutes (estimate) you have no gray bars. I can't tell you for certain that it is conditioning the battery, but it sure seems to do SOMETHING related to the batteries. It certainly doesn't take 45-60 minutes so maybe its something different and/or less temp sensitive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I think this could be at least partially incorrect for GTs. I know without a doubt that if you drive off with no remote start at all, you have the gray bars for several minutes. If you do remote start, and wait for 5+ minutes (estimate) you have no gray bars. I can't tell you for certain that it is conditioning the battery, but it sure seems to do SOMETHING related to the batteries. It certainly doesn't take 45-60 minutes so maybe its something different and/or less temp sensitive.
On our GT, I remote start for ~10 to 15 minutes and still have 12+ grey bars when I leave (plugged in to L2). If I drive for awhile they start to go away (never to none). If we set a departure time and use preconditioning, it is 1-3 grey bars when we leave (one day it was 0 - woohoo, only time I have seen that).

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
On our GT, I remote start for ~10 to 15 minutes and still have 12+ grey bars when I leave (plugged in to L2). If I drive for awhile they start to go away (never to none). If we set a departure time and use preconditioning, it is 1-3 grey bars when we leave (one day it was 0 - woohoo, only time I have seen that).
Very interesting. If I remote start, and give it at least 5 min or so, I have 0-2 gray bars (depending on charge and external temp). If I don't, I get the 10-12 as you mentioned.

To have 0 bars, I have to be at SOC above ~90%, and it has to be warmer than around 40.

My car is parked in a garage that never gets below about 45F, perhaps that makes a difference.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I've noticed the exact same behavior

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Very interesting. If I remote start, and give it at least 5 min or so, I have 0-2 gray bars (depending on charge and external temp). If I don't, I get the 10-12 as you mentioned.

To have 0 bars, I have to be at SOC above ~90%, and it has to be warmer than around 40.

My car is parked in a garage that never gets below about 45F, perhaps that makes a difference.
Yeah - ours is cold soaked down to ambient - anywhere from -10 below to ~20 above lately
Sponsored