EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Also, does an EV need that big of rotors? And changing rotors will be extremely expensive at that size.
Sure; if something is wrong with the regenerative system you still need a way stop a heavy vehicle.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
There’s no way you have 19” rotors on a 20” wheel. Also, does an EV need that big of rotors?
It depends how you drive it. The Performance Y has 12" rotors which is sufficient for most hard driving on the street. On the track, the brakes are definitely the limiting factor for the Y. The E is about 600# heavier, and will need 12.5" - 13" rotors to equal the Y, assuming similar rotor thickness and cooling capacity. Any less than that and you could see brake fade when you push it a bit on a windy road. Trailer towing won't be a concern since the E isn't rated to tow. The GT Performance E might be just the ticket for track day if the MagneRide suspension is implemented well and it comes with 14.5" brakes. If Ford is serious about the Performance E living up to the Mustang heritage, it will have these things. The GT 500 is a serious track machine as delivered. The Performance E needs to be too if It is to be taken seriously as a Mustang and a competitor to the Performance Y. Also, I have seen no word about "Track Mode" for the E... This is something that the E will need to have as well, if it is to try and compete on the track with the Y. Without track mode the E will just be one more car that you see Tesla slaughter on the track in YouTube videos. With track mode, MagneRide suspension and 14.5" - 15.5" brakes the Mach E has a shot at being the new king of the hill amongst SUVs/crossovers.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
It depends how you drive it. The Performance Y has 12" rotors which is sufficient for most hard driving on the street. On the track, the brakes are definitely the limiting factor for the Y. The E is about 600# heavier, and will need 12.5" - 13" rotors to equal the Y, assuming similar rotor thickness and cooling capacity. Any less than that and you could see brake fade when you push it a bit on a windy road. Trailer towing won't be a concern since the E isn't rated to tow. The GT Performance E might be just the ticket for track day if the MagneRide suspension is implemented well and it comes with 14.5" brakes. If Ford is serious about the Performance E living up to the Mustang heritage, it will have these things. The GT 500 is a serious track machine as delivered. The Performance E needs to be too if It is to be taken seriously as a Mustang and a competitor to the Performance Y. Also, I have seen no word about "Track Mode" for the E... This is something that the E will need to have as well, if it is to try and compete on the track with the Y. Without track mode the E will just be one more car that you see Tesla slaughter on the track in YouTube videos. With track mode, MagneRide suspension and 14.5" - 15.5" brakes the Mach E has a shot at being the new king of the hill amongst SUVs/crossovers.
For better or worse, Ford has made it clear that they didn’t develop the MME to be track-focused. They know they are not dealing with cross-shoppers between the MME and the GT500. Like you said, the GT500 is a track star. Ford knows those who care about track times are purchasing that — they are not looking to set track records with an SUV.
The current press releases talk about excitement and performance that one would expect from a GT Mustang, but I think the focus is still on on-road performance rather than developing a vehicle for sustained track use. I don’t think the word “track” still appears on any release.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
@eager2own , Neither the Y nor the E will be up for sustained track use, but a fair number of owners are going to be taking their Performance Ys and Es to the track for track day. It's a lot of fun and much better than risking other's lives on public roads.

You may be entirely correct about Ford's intentions regarding the E, and if so I hope they reconsider. Calling the car the "Mach-e GT Performance" edition without equipping it to compete with the Y would lead to a lot of embarrassing YouTube videos. If this happens, Mustang fans are going to like the E even less. If Ford is going to call this car a Mustang, they need to have one variant that can go toe to toe with the competition. Not every Mustang is a GT500, but every Mustang owner knows his/her car is a part of the same stable. If the Mach-e wants to be accepted into that stable for real, it needs one pony right there holding it's head up high beside the GT500.

Not every Mach-e needs to set a lap record, but there should be one version that does. it will be particularly sad if Ford gives up on the performance capability of the "Performance GT" because of the potential of the car. It sounds like the suspension is already there. All we need now are some 14.5" brakes and Track mode.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Ford have never really be one to chase the best track times, but agree that not aiming for a good overall road with occasional track use would be a missed opportunity. Especially when people compare paper specs to the Mode Y the low 124mph top speed and reduced range do it no favors so the GT performance edition really needs a lot more 'ford performance' touches to justify the name.

As the Euro mach-e already has a different suspension setup compared to the USA version I would not be at all surprised to find there is no GT performance option in Europe with the performance tweaks just being standard after all when the GT was announced for Europe it was given a 0-62 of 3.7 which would put it in the ball park of 3.5 for 0-60.

I can see this being more akin to an EDGE ST, Explorer ST, instead of a true 'ford performance' make over. Still plenty of time for ford to make some changes, they can start by swapping out the steering rack to one from the performance parts bin 14.6 does not belong in the performance category ? but until we get final specs and prices any comparisons at this point are moot.

Reactions: Nak

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
And sure I want Ford to deliver the equivalent of a BEV GT500 track star also. However, I’m just trying to manage my expectations to a realistic level. Ford has to balance the fact, as comments on this thread show, that folks are appalled at paying more than a few thousand dollars for a performance package on the MME GT against folks who want this to be a BEV equivalent to the GT500... when the GT500 sells for TWICE as much as an ICE GT.

Therefore, I expect that this will be the equivalent of the performance packages that Ford offers on the ICE GT for $4K to $6k or so. This is not going to be a GT500-like vehicle that sells for $35k more than the MME GT.
If I keep my expectations to that, I won’t be disappointed when Ford doesn’t offer to provide an MME GT500 for only $4k more.
I do think that Ford will eventually develop a Shelby MME, but it will be priced accordingly.

cab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2013 Tesla Model S
Country flag
The performance edition goodies (particularly the suspension) are definitely attractive, but I start to have the same dilemma as I already have with the Model Y performance...as the price creeps up ever closer to $70k it starts to encroach on what is likely a better car than either of them: The Tesla Model S at $69,420!

Yes, the Model S is not a CUV like the Model Y and Mach e, but hear me out. As an owner of an older Model S (2013 P85+), I can assure you it does a great job of hauling stuff (like the 50” TV I just brought to my parents’ house on Friday). Heck, my wife takes it out of town to scrapbook events over her Volvo XC60 as it hauls more stuff w/o needing to fold the rear seats down.

Beyond that, with the adaptive air suspension it is a comfortable grand tourer (aka GT), and has even more screen real estate that either the Y or Mach e. I know the tech is “older” than the Model Y, but honestly, they both have the AP 3.0 computer and cameras...it’s just not that different.

Now add in that the Model S is still the looker in this comparison, has a 0-60 time of 3.7s that splits the difference between the GT and GTPE/Model Y Perf AND is epa rated at 402 miles of range, and sheesh...the “old design“ Model S becomes terribly compelling (even ignoring supercharging) as the price gets closes to $70k. in many ways, the only advantage the Y and MME have is a higher seating position...a deal-breaker for some, but I suspect not all.

Honestly, as a Model S owner, even I am a bit bummed as I don’t really want to buy another Model S that is so close to my (paid for) 7 year old Model S in every way but “specs”...and yet it is hard to overlook this delta in features at this price point. Darn first world problems!!!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
What does the word "need" mean? Same as want, right? ;)

If I had to guess, I'd say that's a real good guess. They need to price the car correctly. That includes the various options.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
SO, does anyone know if the glass roof will be available with either GT? It does not appear to be, which i don't get. Performance users don't want glass roofs?
No, performance users DO-NOT-WANT-GLASS-ROOFS! Glass roofs add weight to the car, at the very top of the car. That's the worst place to add weight. It's called polar momentum...the further the weight is from the center-of-gravity of the car, the more force it exerts to rotate the car...in the wrong direction. Polar momentum leans the car to the outside of the corner in a turn, and puts the weight on the outside edge of the tire, instead of loading the tire evenly across the contact patch. Slower cornering and uneven tire wear result, along with heating up the outside edge, which can blow the tire. Added weight inherently lowers performance. And finally, why would you want to add more sun-glares to the instrument displays? Adding the glass roof back in is an option, but not one a performance driver should want.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No, performance users DO-NOT-WANT-GLASS-ROOFS! Glass roofs add weight to the car, at the very top of the car. That's the worst place to add weight. It's called polar momentum...the further the weight is from the center-of-gravity of the car, the more force it exerts to rotate the car...in the wrong direction. Polar momentum leans the car to the outside of the corner in a turn, and puts the weight on the outside edge of the tire, instead of loading the tire evenly across the contact patch. Slower cornering and uneven tire wear result, along with heating up the outside edge, which can blow the tire. Added weight inherently lowers performance. And finally, why would you want to add more sun-glares to the instrument displays? Adding the glass roof back in is an option, but not one a performance driver should want.
There’s probably a reason or two RTR didn’t put a glass roof back in the Mach E 1400.
Sponsored