sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
I have a reservation for a GT, which will be my first BEV. As I wait patiently, and calculate the costs, I'm seeing lightly-used examples of the 2020 Model 3 Performance on Carvana for around ~40K. They don't last long.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a fair comparison? Please tell me what I'm missing. Thanks :)

MME GT: Bigger interior, 7500 tax credit, nicer looking. Maybe some teething issues with first-year model.

M3 Perf: Avoid new-purchase depreciation, 20k less, faster 0-60. Maybe some quality issues.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The Model Y Perf is the more comparable car. I had a couple on order and passed. As much as the quality control of this first batch of ME's does have some issues, which we'll see how well Ford responds, I still feel like the Tesla's have more obvious prolonged issues, and then at some point it becomes personal preference as to which car you like better overall for whatever reasons. Pluses and minuses on both sides.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Stay away from Tesla's. The build quality, service woes, and overall customer service level is not nearly up to standard as other automakers. There is a reason those vehicles are so cheap and are being sold only 1 year old. The guy who bought my Tesla that was only a year old probably thought I was a dummy for selling it. Little do people know how bad owning their vehicles are.

The Mach E's problems I've seen so far pale in comparison to the issues with Tesla. Buy a reliable car and just stick with the Mach E. 0.3s 0-60 time difference just isn't worth it and plus you're getting an SUV and not a car.

OP
OP
sabat

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
These are good points. If Ford made a BEV sedan I'd choose it, I really don't need the SUV.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the MME wrinkles get ironed out. Hopefully in the next month, before GT ordering starts.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
As others stated, definitely compare it to the Model Y Performance, not the model 3. That's an apples to apples comparison.
Are you opting for the performance GT, do you think?

OP
OP
sabat

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
I'm leaning toward the base GT with the glass roof. We still have no idea how much the glass roof will cost - I just tried to add it to a Select on the Ford site, and apparently it isn't an option.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
These are good points. If Ford made a BEV sedan I'd choose it, I really don't need the SUV.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the MME wrinkles get ironed out. Hopefully in the next month, before GT ordering starts.
I figure by the time I’m done with the MME, Ford will have a true electric coupe Mustang I can get my hands on.
And I wouldn’t worry too much about the wrinkles if you’re ordering a GT, they’ll have them righted by delivery time (we assume!).

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stay away from Tesla's. The build quality, service woes, and overall customer service level is not nearly up to standard as other automakers. There is a reason those vehicles are so cheap and are being sold only 1 year old. The guy who bought my Tesla that was only a year old probably thought I was a dummy for selling it. Little do people know how bad owning their vehicles are.

The Mach E's problems I've seen so far pale in comparison to the issues with Tesla. Buy a reliable car and just stick with the Mach E. 0.3s 0-60 time difference just isn't worth it and plus you're getting an SUV and not a car.
If you're on any Tesla Y or 3 group, most people love their cars. I rarely see any Y Performance for sale used and the 3 Performance on various sites are sold within a day. Don't believe everything you see on YouTube

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My FIL and three of my closest college buddies all have Teslas (one of them has two). They rave about them and their ownership experience has been nothing but positive. They all think I'm insane for wanting the Mustang Mach-E.

GT Premium (if there is such a thing) is probably comparable to a Model Y LR with 20" wheels and the $2000 performance boost.

GTPE is intended to compete directly with the Model Y Performance. If Ford Performance has anything to say about it, the GTPE will likely beat the Tesla.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My FIL and three of my closest college buddies all have Teslas (one of them has two). They rave about them and their ownership experience has been nothing but positive. They all think I'm insane for wanting the Mustang Mach-E.

GT Premium (if there is such a thing) is probably comparable to a Model Y LR with 20" wheels and the $2000 performance boost.

GTPE is intended to compete directly with the Model Y Performance. If Ford Performance has anything to say about it, the GTPE will likely beat the Tesla.
Yeah, the base GT should be around 3.8s. My LR Y with boost runs 3.9. It should be interesting when it comes out. The competition reminds me of Camaro vs Mustang, or any of the old school rivalries.

OP
OP
sabat

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
Yep, I love the idea that we can buy a vehicle capable of such brutal acceleration - that can actually be used on the street. Without the AWD and extra weight, all that torque would just get converted into tire smoke.

The fact that the thrust runs out quickly is perfect - I don't want to go 100+ on the street. I just want to have the ability to jump to warp 9 for a few seconds on my way to work :)

That we can do this (with multiple options out there) AND move away from ICE is fantastic. Like living in the 60s muscle car era, but better.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
If you're on any Tesla Y or 3 group, most people love their cars. I rarely see any Y Performance for sale used and the 3 Performance on various sites are sold within a day. Don't believe everything you see on YouTube
I owned a Tesla, went through the pains of day to day ownership. When I posted on those exact forums, I was laughed off and actually banned. Most of those forums actually ban users if you make an account and immediately post a credible bad experience, because they are typically liberal leaning people and when you say something they don't agree with they want you shadow banned. I was actually an active user posting my experience over the year I owned it, and ended up getting banned.

I know someone who owns a Tesla and says the same thing. Their support is awful. The car has serious flaws.

To each their own, heed my warning! I learned the hard way.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I owned a Tesla, went through the pains of day to day ownership. When I posted on those exact forums, I was laughed off and actually banned. Most of those forums actually ban users if you make an account and immediately post a credible bad experience, because they are typically liberal leaning people and when you say something they don't agree with they want you shadow banned. I was actually an active user posting my experience over the year I owned it, and ended up getting banned.

I know someone who owns a Tesla and says the same thing. Their support is awful. The car has serious flaws.

To each their own, heed my warning! I learned the hard way.
Yeah, I own a 2020 Y LR AWD. When they were still on pre-order, I warned people about the rocker panel rock/paint chip issue on the 3 and mentioned the Y may have a similar issue since it's unlikely Tesla made any changes to the paint, or would include mud flaps as standard. Ended up getting a short-term ban. Now that Tesla offers both PPF and mud flaps, they're selling well and many are getting it.

I'm happy with my car, have another on order for the wife. No major complaints from me.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yep, I love the idea that we can buy a vehicle capable of such brutal acceleration - that can actually be used on the street. Without the AWD and extra weight, all that torque would just get converted into tire smoke.

The fact that the thrust runs out quickly is perfect - I don't want to go 100+ on the street. I just want to have the ability to jump to warp 9 for a few seconds on my way to work :)

That we can do this (with multiple options out there) AND move away from ICE is fantastic. Like living in the 60s muscle car era, but better.
It wasn't that long ago that cars as powerful as the Mach-E GT or a Performance Tesla would only be capable in the hands of a skilled driver. Tesla has made supercar performance available to Joe/Jane Average with point &, shoot simplicity and it's absolutely wonderful. If the MME 4X is any indication, we're going to love our GTs.

OP
OP
sabat

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
Thanks for the Tesla stories folks. I will wait until GT ordering begins to see how the initial quality issues are worked out with the MME.

One thing is for sure - I like the idea of the Options 3-year lease, so if things turn out worse than I expect, I can hand it back.
Sponsored