eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Wireless charging doesn't make sense in public infrastructure -- semis would just break them. I wouldn't pay the premium for it either. The charging cord isn't broke. If private companies want to try and make such a thing feasible, sure, but I don't want taxpayer $ funding what's going to amount to a headache pipedream.
I was somewhat kidding. Though someday I'm sure we'll all drive like we're on a Tyco track (showing my age)
Sponsored

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
It's an 800+ mile round trip from eastern PA to western PA that I had previously made 16 times in my 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range. This year's move our son in to his final year at college was done in the MME GT.

The drive itself isn't flat, at least for the East Coast, ranging in elevation from 200 to 2300 feet. Ascent/Descent for the 816 mile drive is 39.4k / 38k, so it's a lot of up and down. Temp was perfect for EV's at 75 and there was no wind/weather issues to contend with. The conditions were almost identical to our drive at this time last year in the Tesla, so it provides a great comparison between the two.

Statistically speaking:

Driving there with my son and a fully loaded car we saw a 3.0 miles per kw in the MME. In the Tesla it was a 3.7. On the way home with an empty car and just me it was 3.4 in the MME and 4.0 in the Tesla. The entire trip averaged to 3.2 versus 3.8, which honestly I didn't expect to be that close. (Note: On drives where I pick him up to bring him home, the efficiency is flipped - so the effects are completely on weight in car)

Doing a little math with the battery capacities 3.2 miles per kW with the 91 kWh useable capacity of the MME yields a 291 mile range. For the Tesla and its 75 kWh capacity battery, it's a range of 278 miles. Interestingly, Ford claims a range of 280 miles on the MME GT and Tesla claimed a range of 316 miles on my 2021 MYLR. Make of that what you will.

Total drive time for each was the same, but the charging times were much different. In the Tesla I stopped 4 times and charged for a total of 72 mins (18 min avg charge). In the MME I stopped 4 times for a total of 104 minutes (26 min average). Also, I had an extra 35 minutes of waiting for a charger to free up in the MME, which brings the average stop to charge up to 35 mins.

What I found frustrating with the MME (Hey @Ford Motor Company )
* When using the built in Nav in an EV the battery projection percentage to the next stop should ALWAYS be visible. Especially when charging prior to driving to that next destination. I should not have to tap through Trip Overview > Details to find this elusive but key metric. Tesla has the percentage estimate at next stop always visible.

* If I am adding a different charger to my route because I don't like the one the Ford Nav has chosen for me, it shouldn't be added as a waypoint with the original charging stop behind it. Identify it as a charger, calculate a charge time and then find other chargers down route. Also, if I am adding a charging stop and the Ford Nav is identifying it as a waypoint and not a charger, I'll just assume there won't be any preconditioning going on?

* Speaking of preconditioning - Tesla pops a notification up on the display when preconditioning has begun. If one does not navigate to a charger, it the driver is informed that if they had done so the charging would've been much faster.

* The driver display UI. I mean, did 3 different people design them without talking to each other? I'd like to use Engage on a road trip, but then I get the meaningless battery percentage bar and not the actual battery percentage. (The GOM means nothing to me - just give me the SOC%). Popping on BC I then get the same display across all 3 drive modes. Please, please Ford - consistency. Change colors or animations, fine. Just don't leave drivers wondering ok where did that go now?

What I love about the MME
* Bluecruise. Hands down, it's infinitely better and far more reassuring than Tesla's FSD. In the Tesla on this same drive I'd have at least 2 hard phantom braking issues while driving at 70 mph. Out of nowhere, and usually caused by a shadow across the road. In the MME it was incredibly smooth, stuck to the left dotted line when a right lane was merging (the Tesla would always recenter the car with the merge lane), and shifting over while a large truck was in the adjacent lane just makes it more of a natural drive feeling. BC really surprised me with how well it handled this drive, especially in comparison to the Tesla.

* Ride quality. I know it's a huge issue for some with the suspension and the bouncing, but to those people I say this: Go ride in a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. The biggest difference between the MME and the MYLR is while you can feel the bumps a bit, in the Tesla you HEAR every one of them as well as feel them. This is where the better build quality of the Ford is evident vs the Tesla. Personally, I never felt any of the bouncing and the "harshness" of the road feel is nothing unusual to me - then again, I've always preferred sporty driving German cars.

* Not once did anyone walk up to my Tesla and comment on its appearance. That happened 4x this weekend alone.

The charging network
There is no comparison. In the Tesla I never had to care about which charger I was getting navigated to & could confidently roll in at 10% knowing I'd be able to charge. The CCS network, not so much. This is why being able to change chargers in the Nav as well as see as many metrics regarding the battery are a necessity.

The unreliability of the CCS network means I could not take advantage of the lower end of the charging curve speeds. In the reliable Supercharger network, I'd routinely charge from 10% to 60% and be gone in 10-15 minutes to the next charger destination. With the CCS network, I found myself charging from 40%-80% because while I would make it further down route to a charger, I couldn't be sure I could count on it.

Conclusion
The charging network will only improve - especially with Federal Infrastructure dollars already funding PA's NEVI program. Phase 1 will add 8 chargers to this route alone. Couple that with the someday maybe hopefully at some point possibly in the probable near future of that Tesla adapter to use the Superchargers being released, and the playing field between Tesla and every other EV suddenly levels out.

The Mach-E drives much better, feels more solid, and is confidence inspiring with Bluecruise than my MYLR. The UI and software issues I have can hopefully be worked out in the future.

My short advice on someone looking at both the Tesla and the Mach-E comes down to this: Get the one you like better, not the one you feel less anxiety over driving on long trips. Range wise, the MME is actually better and the charging network will only improve.
Nice writeup. Yes everyone stops by and talks about how beautiful the MME is.

Specifically agree with your point on Blue cruise vs FSD. Tesla vision (No radar, ultra sonic sensors, cameras only) works well only when there is no rain, nice day, shadows matter, no light shining on cameras 😄, I am testing the FSD, it came free with the car.

When I tell people how much better BC is people are surprised and I recently heard a comment, but it's not FSD 😭

I have the 2023 MY. The suspension seems have been fixed for better, it's a much nice ride now.

The drives modes makes MME more interesting/fun than Tesla, which has an aggressive Regen at all times.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I was somewhat kidding. Though someday I'm sure we'll all drive like we're on a Tyco track (showing my age)
When I see suggestions about the in-road wireless charging the brain instantly defaults to "solar roadways" nonsense. Most states can't even take care of their roads as it is -- I'm sure adding a zero to the price would just do it wonders. Suddenly every politician's family would be in the 'paving' business and the roads would be even worse, and of course the chargers wouldn't work.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I’ve kept the Mach-E over other EVs because of BlueCruise and cargo space. The ride quality of both the Y and MME frankly suck compared to the i4, ID.4, and Ioniq 5. Those all have quieter and more pleasant rides. Hoping Ford improves this in the next iteration along with adding a 800V drivetrain.
This is true well mostly if you plus-size the tires and lower the tire pressure the MME rides just like these other cars. I get that most people won't do this. MY GTPE with 255/45/20 105 XL @ 36PSI is plush compared to my old car which was a 2021 MME Premium AWD EX

I just had a week with a new rental 2023/24 Volvo C40, and having driven the others this just became my 2nd favorite EV. The dual motor is almost as fast a MME GT it is more of a SUV so higher ride height and much softer suspention

Last edited:

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
It's an 800+ mile round trip from eastern PA to western PA that I had previously made 16 times in my 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range. This year's move our son in to his final year at college was done in the MME GT.

The drive itself isn't flat, at least for the East Coast, ranging in elevation from 200 to 2300 feet. Ascent/Descent for the 816 mile drive is 39.4k / 38k, so it's a lot of up and down. Temp was perfect for EV's at 75 and there was no wind/weather issues to contend with. The conditions were almost identical to our drive at this time last year in the Tesla, so it provides a great comparison between the two.

Statistically speaking:

Driving there with my son and a fully loaded car we saw a 3.0 miles per kw in the MME. In the Tesla it was a 3.7. On the way home with an empty car and just me it was 3.4 in the MME and 4.0 in the Tesla. The entire trip averaged to 3.2 versus 3.8, which honestly I didn't expect to be that close. (Note: On drives where I pick him up to bring him home, the efficiency is flipped - so the effects are completely on weight in car)

Doing a little math with the battery capacities 3.2 miles per kW with the 91 kWh useable capacity of the MME yields a 291 mile range. For the Tesla and its 75 kWh capacity battery, it's a range of 278 miles. Interestingly, Ford claims a range of 280 miles on the MME GT and Tesla claimed a range of 316 miles on my 2021 MYLR. Make of that what you will.

Total drive time for each was the same, but the charging times were much different. In the Tesla I stopped 4 times and charged for a total of 72 mins (18 min avg charge). In the MME I stopped 4 times for a total of 104 minutes (26 min average). Also, I had an extra 35 minutes of waiting for a charger to free up in the MME, which brings the average stop to charge up to 35 mins.

What I found frustrating with the MME (Hey @Ford Motor Company )
* When using the built in Nav in an EV the battery projection percentage to the next stop should ALWAYS be visible. Especially when charging prior to driving to that next destination. I should not have to tap through Trip Overview > Details to find this elusive but key metric. Tesla has the percentage estimate at next stop always visible.

* If I am adding a different charger to my route because I don't like the one the Ford Nav has chosen for me, it shouldn't be added as a waypoint with the original charging stop behind it. Identify it as a charger, calculate a charge time and then find other chargers down route. Also, if I am adding a charging stop and the Ford Nav is identifying it as a waypoint and not a charger, I'll just assume there won't be any preconditioning going on?

* Speaking of preconditioning - Tesla pops a notification up on the display when preconditioning has begun. If one does not navigate to a charger, it the driver is informed that if they had done so the charging would've been much faster.

* The driver display UI. I mean, did 3 different people design them without talking to each other? I'd like to use Engage on a road trip, but then I get the meaningless battery percentage bar and not the actual battery percentage. (The GOM means nothing to me - just give me the SOC%). Popping on BC I then get the same display across all 3 drive modes. Please, please Ford - consistency. Change colors or animations, fine. Just don't leave drivers wondering ok where did that go now?

What I love about the MME
* Bluecruise. Hands down, it's infinitely better and far more reassuring than Tesla's FSD. In the Tesla on this same drive I'd have at least 2 hard phantom braking issues while driving at 70 mph. Out of nowhere, and usually caused by a shadow across the road. In the MME it was incredibly smooth, stuck to the left dotted line when a right lane was merging (the Tesla would always recenter the car with the merge lane), and shifting over while a large truck was in the adjacent lane just makes it more of a natural drive feeling. BC really surprised me with how well it handled this drive, especially in comparison to the Tesla.

* Ride quality. I know it's a huge issue for some with the suspension and the bouncing, but to those people I say this: Go ride in a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. The biggest difference between the MME and the MYLR is while you can feel the bumps a bit, in the Tesla you HEAR every one of them as well as feel them. This is where the better build quality of the Ford is evident vs the Tesla. Personally, I never felt any of the bouncing and the "harshness" of the road feel is nothing unusual to me - then again, I've always preferred sporty driving German cars.

* Not once did anyone walk up to my Tesla and comment on its appearance. That happened 4x this weekend alone.

The charging network
There is no comparison. In the Tesla I never had to care about which charger I was getting navigated to & could confidently roll in at 10% knowing I'd be able to charge. The CCS network, not so much. This is why being able to change chargers in the Nav as well as see as many metrics regarding the battery are a necessity.

The unreliability of the CCS network means I could not take advantage of the lower end of the charging curve speeds. In the reliable Supercharger network, I'd routinely charge from 10% to 60% and be gone in 10-15 minutes to the next charger destination. With the CCS network, I found myself charging from 40%-80% because while I would make it further down route to a charger, I couldn't be sure I could count on it.

Conclusion
The charging network will only improve - especially with Federal Infrastructure dollars already funding PA's NEVI program. Phase 1 will add 8 chargers to this route alone. Couple that with the someday maybe hopefully at some point possibly in the probable near future of that Tesla adapter to use the Superchargers being released, and the playing field between Tesla and every other EV suddenly levels out.

The Mach-E drives much better, feels more solid, and is confidence inspiring with Bluecruise than my MYLR. The UI and software issues I have can hopefully be worked out in the future.

My short advice on someone looking at both the Tesla and the Mach-E comes down to this: Get the one you like better, not the one you feel less anxiety over driving on long trips. Range wise, the MME is actually better and the charging network will only improve.
What speed are you driving to get 3.2 mi/kWh average in the GT? I also have a GT and even keeping max at 70 would be tough to get over 3.1.

Guss-E 2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Prem AWD ER
Country flag
What were the comments you got about the car?

Having lived in Pennsyl-tucky, was wondering how many of them were "Not a real Mustang" related. ;)
The response to "not a real Mustang" is "I don’t really care". 🙄 They didn't have to pay for it so shut up already. SMH. In NH, I've only gotten interest and compliments. I did notice one guy walk by it the other day and shake his head. Whether that was because of the badging or simply because it was an electric car, I'll never know.

I really hope Ford and Tesla work together and do thorough testing on the NACS adapter. I'm also hoping the new software guy Ford pinched from Apple is hard at work working on a big surprise for 2024.

I know Ford has big dreams and plans for 2025 and the completion of Blue Oval City. But if it wants us "new to Ford" customers to become repeat customers, it had better take care of us. Competition is coming.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
You crossed Pennsylvania either via the turnpike or I-80. I assume I-80 was your route as turnpike elevation just west of Somerset is greater than 2300 feet.

OP
OP
eleven24

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
What speed are you driving to get 3.2 mi/kWh average in the GT? I also have a GT and even keeping max at 70 would be tough to get over 3.1.
If I look back at the same drive in the Tesla, since the data for every drive is recorded in TeslaFi, my average speed for the entire trip was 63 mph. I'd say that 75% of the trip is on a highway with posted speed limit of 70.

Your efficiency is exactly why I was surprised. I was expecting 2.5-2.9ish on the highway.

I used CarScanner to capture the kw remaining in the battery upon departure, before/after every charge, then again at final destination. I also reset the Trip 1 in the car. Both my calculations and the MME's numbers were identical.

OP
OP
eleven24

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
The response to "not a real Mustang" is "I don’t really care". 🙄 They didn't have to pay for it so shut up already. SMH. In NH, I've only gotten interest and compliments. I did notice one guy walk by it the other day and shake his head. Whether that was because of the badging or simply because it was an electric car, I'll never know.

I really hope Ford and Tesla work together and do thorough testing on the NACS adapter. I'm also hoping the new software guy Ford pinched from Apple is hard at work working on a big surprise for 2024.

I know Ford has big dreams and plans for 2025 and the completion of Blue Oval City. But if it wants us "new to Ford" customers to become repeat customers, it had better take care of us. Competition is coming.
Within a week of getting my Tesla I returned to it in the parking lot to find a dent right near the charge port. Got in the car, checked the security video and saw a guy walk past the car, turn back, stop, literally started yelling and pointing at it, started to walk away, turned back came over to the car and punched it. He then walked away waving his arms in the air like he was talking to someone.

If not for the dent, his misinformation on EV rage was almost comical.

OP
OP
eleven24

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
You crossed Pennsylvania either via the turnpike or I-80. I assume I-80 was your route as turnpike elevation just west of Somerset is greater than 2300 feet.
Ahh, you're forgetting that sign on I-80; "Highest point East of the Mississippi at 2250 feet". As if we should stop and take in the moment right at that spot.

My Garmin watch - which I used in track mode to record the elevation - peaked at 2,205

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Ahh, you're forgetting that sign on I-80; "Highest point East of the Mississippi at 2250 feet". As if we should stop and take in the moment right at that spot.

My Garmin watch - which I used in track mode to record the elevation - peaked at 2,205
That sign is not accurate unless it means "highest point on I-80" east of the river. Ski area Seven Springs and Hidden Halley are off the turnpike where elevation is greater than 2250 feet.

OP
OP
eleven24

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
That sign is not accurate unless it means "highest point on I-80" east of the river. Ski area Seven Springs and Hidden Halley are off the turnpike where elevation is greater than 2250 feet.
True. If I remember the sign correctly, I think they slapped an "on I-80" underneath "Higest point east of the Missisisippi". Which is the equivalent of me saying I'm standing on the highest point West of Mount Everest in my backyard.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The Model Y Performance might beat the GTPE in a straight line, but I would be surprised on a track with turns the same would be true. I also want my car to not have rattles straight off the lot.
The GTPE is such a fat turd I would not recommend it on a track. It needs to lose about 500-800 lbs.

MYP is tolerable on the track but still on the heavy side.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is true well mostly if you plus-size the tires and lower the tire pressure the MME rides just like these other cars. I get that most people won't do this. MY GTPE with 255/45/20 105 XL @ 36PSI is plush compared to my old car which was a 2021 MME Premium AWD EX

I just had a week with a new rental 2023/24 Volvo C40, and having driven the others this just became my 2nd favorite EV. The dual motor is almost as fast a MME GT it is more of a SUV so higher ride height and much softer suspention
Maybe Toyotas.

There's no way I'd compare the ride of the BMW i4 to the Mach-E (I've owned both the GTPE and Premium). That rear air suspension works wonders.
Sponsored