RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Thanks, I will update my message. So anyone can get this, but only a credit when you get the feature later, even if you choose not to? I guess it's there way of getting people to know the feature exists.
Here's my understanding. The $100 credit is there so you will sign a document acknowledging that you understand: even though you paid for Active Drive Assist Prep package, you cannot use it now, and you will not be able to use it when it's available unless you pay extra.

You will not need to commit to buy anything to get that $100 credit.

People who say you have to buy the $600 package in order to get the $100 credit interpreted the document (which you have to sign) wrong. The document says "I'm required to separately purchase Active Drive Assist software at a later date, ..., in order to obtain the Active Drive Assist feature." They didn't finish reading that 3-line sentence. It doesn't mean that you're committing to buy it. It just means that you'll have to pay extra in order to use the feature.
Sponsored

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We will all be interested in knowing what roads and highways will be earmarked by Ford for hands free.
Especially if Canadian Highways will be included?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone can get the credit (and everyone should). It's basically just a carrot for acknowledging that the car does not have Hands-Free Driving now, and you'll need to pay for it later if you want it. If they didn't have people sign something acknowledging this, of course there would be lawsuits for "false advertising".
But to my knowledge they don't advertise the car has having hands free driving right now.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
But to my knowledge they don't advertise the car has having hands free driving right now.
Right. But that wouldn't stop people from claiming that they didn't know that it wasn't included in the "prep package" that they paid for. Signing the acknowledgement is an extra layer of protection for Ford. And giving people $100 probably makes people feel better about signing it.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, both systems require constant driver attention. And you need to be ready to take over or override. As you've pointed out several times now, Tesla's way of measuring driver attentiveness is broken -- someone might place an orange in the wheel instead of paying attention.

From what's been published so far, I suspect (but don't know for sure) that GM Supercruise, Ford Active Drive Assist, and Nissan ProPilot 2.0 are built with sufficiently robust capabilities within their operational domains that they are safely able to allow for more latency before the driving is able to regain control of the steering wheel.

If your hands are on your lap or you're eating a breakfast burrito, it will take you longer to regain control of the steering wheel compared to hands-on cruise control systems where your hands are intended to already be holding the wheel.

Supercruise debuted in 2017 but I've not seen reports of ADAS over-confidence incidents in those vehicles. I sincerely hope the same will hold true for Ford and Nissan.

I attached a few of the Tesla accidents that have been attributed to "Autopilot" (when in fact, the drivers are responsible for not controlling the wheel and pedals). These images remind us that driver attentiveness, and in the case of Tesla, hands-on wheel, is critical.

It's a choice. If you don't see $600 in value for making this choice, then obviously you should not. I haven't decided on this myself, yet.

add-speed-to-the-list-of-causes-for-the-tesla-model-s-autopilot-fatal-crash-109078_1.jpg

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpg

tesla.jpg

tesla-crash1.jpg

Tesla-Model-X-crash-US-Cali-2-1200x675.jpg

X_crash-1024x683.jpg
But Tesla actually do not have Driver's attentiveness surveillance system I think, that's one of the reason it's easy to fool the system.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
That article really doesn’t explain exactly what “hands free driving” means. If the $600 allows you take your hands off the wheel but you’re still in charge of making lane changes and other nav decisions on the highway - is that really worth $600?!
YES. Hands down YES. Absolutely YES. Undeniably YES. In fact don't tell Ford, Id likely pay a bit more. No offense, Not sure how anyone can look at $10k and not say that, but look at $600 and completely lose your lunch.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
YES. Hands down YES. Absolutely YES. Undeniably YES. In fact don't tell Ford, Id likely pay a bit more. No offense, Not sure how anyone can look at $10k and not say that, but look at $600 and completely lose your lunch.
Yes but there is a BIG difference between the $10,000 and the $600 price.

The $10,000 buys you a guarantee that it will be years before you ever get it and that you will never be able to sell your car and recoup the $10,000 that you spent on a long term possibility. On the other hand when you finally do get the update you can not only get the update but you can also make an appointment to replace the bumper that fell off in the rain. The $600 guarantees that when you pay it that it will be downloaded via OTA and when you sell the car you have a better chance of getting it back. No guarantees but who cares it was only $600 and and you likely spent the remaining $9400 on something more worthwhile in your life.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I wouldn’t count on getting any of it back since the $600 seems to be a 3 year subscription.
That is why I said you might. The point was that $600 is spent when it actually exists. $10,000 is spent on a hope.

occhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
ok, so I bought the car, signed the paper agreeing to the early adoption in which the dealer was absolutely clueless.... what's next? How do I enable? Any thoughts?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
ok, so I bought the car, signed the paper agreeing to the early adoption in which the dealer was absolutely clueless.... what's next? How do I enable? Any thoughts?
Nothing to enable regarding the 100$ early adopter piece of paper.. We just wait for this software to be available and then you can decide if you want it or not and i am sure they will provide instruction to enable

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I know it is way cheaper than Tesla, but I personally think it is still not worth it and don’t plan to get it (despite having a premium trim and the hardware already) for the following reasons:

1) Adds no additional functionality that you don’t already get by resting your hand on the wheel. What are you doing with your hands anyway? Since you must pay attention to the road, it is not like you can do something else with your hand(s) like reading a book, playing on your phone, crosswords, knitting, etc

2) I will rarely be on long expressway trips. Most of the use case of the car is driving around town and commuting to work, so the amount of time when I would be able to use it is extremely limited.

3) Call me old fashioned, but I like actually enjoy driving; not just sitting in a car doing nothing. So I don’t really understand the how it adds that much value.

4) I don’t want to encourage the business model of paying for the hardware and than separately charging for software subscriptions. That is one of the big reasons I dislike Tesla. I think there should be just one price for both. If you buy a premium (for other reasons like the glass roof, heated seats, extended range), you are forced to buy useless hardware (valued at thousands, according to Ford) that you can’t use at all without an additional purchase which is not a consumer friendly practice in my mind. It should be another trim level that includes both that sits above premium that those who want the feature can buy.

Last edited:

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I know it is way cheaper than Tesla, but I personally think it is still not worth it and don’t plan to get it (despite having a premium trim and the hardware already) for the following reasons:

1) Adds no additional functionality that you don’t already get by resting your hand on the wheel. What are you doing with your hands anyway? Since you must pay attention to the road, it is not like you can do something else with your hand(s) like reading a book, playing on your phone, crosswords, knitting, etc

I disagree. I like the idea that everything is there. Now you have your choice of an OTA. In the past when navigation came out with a new one you had to spend $150. With OTA I can choose or not to. At the same time my car is new ALL of the time with all of the gizmos. I suspect at one point Ford will charge something like $20 a month and you will continue to get updates automatically. It makes sense as everything else is doing that. Hey if you do not want it then do not buy it. If you change your mind you can get it later. That is THE beauty of having the hardware installed. No more wow I like the new thing but I have to buy a newer model to get it.

2) I will rarely be on long expressway trips. Most of the use case of the car is driving around town and commuting to work, so the amount of time when I would be able to use it is extremely limited.

3) Call me old fashioned, but I like actually enjoy driving; not just sitting in a car doing nothing. So I don’t really understand the how it adds that much value.

4) I don’t want to encourage the business model of paying for the hardware and than separately charging for software subscriptions. That is one of the big reasons I dislike Tesla. I think there should be just one price for both. If you buy a premium (for other reasons like the glass roof, heated seats, extended range), you are forced to buy useless hardware (valued at thousands, according to Ford) that you can’t use at all without an additional purchase which is not a consumer friendly practice in my mind. It should be another trim level that includes both that sits above premium that those who want the feature can buy.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag