Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
From a Forbes article:
“To their credit, Ford is acknowledging up front that customers will have to pay for a FordPass Connect subscription to use ADA after three years. Like GM, Ford needs the connectivity to supply map and software updates. Ford isn’t announcing a price at this time, but promises it will be competitive which likely means that it will be the same $25 per month.”

Why can’t they use my phone? $300 a year is too much. Tesla charges only $10 for connectivity.
Yeah jeez that’s like a second phone. Hi have no interest in adding another $150/month to a vehicle that’s as much if not more expensive than a vehicle that I’m already paying for oil/gas/maint on. EVs are still trying to reach price parity and we’re already talking about squeezing people for basic features.
Who needs a hot spot with a smartphone? I’m not paying $25/month for the privilege of having TomTom maps and knockoff Siri.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I forgot to take a picture of it today, but on the park assist screen there are three options: parallel park, perpendicular park, and undo parallel park (i.e. what they are calling "Park Out Assist").

It's nearly exactly as shown here, same options as shown, just with the user interface layout modernized for SYNC 4A:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Why can’t they use my phone? $300 a year is too much. Tesla charges only $10 for connectivity.
Yeah jeez that’s like a second phone. Hi have no interest in adding another $150/month to a vehicle that’s as much if not more expensive than a vehicle that I’m already paying for oil/gas/maint on.
The digital maps used for hands free driving are completely different -- and far more detailed --than what you have on your phone. They're not just a map, they're digitalized video of what the road should look like from the vehicle. The vehicle is constantly comparing what it's seeing to the images in order to keep you safe.

Think of it like "Street View" on super steroids with computation. Easily worth the fee if commuting on a supported road -- this feature would have to score a 12 on a 1-10 scale -- or even for the occasional longer trip.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The digital maps used for hands free driving are completely different -- and far more detailed --than what you have on your phone. They're not just a map, they're digitalized video of what the road should look like from the vehicle. The vehicle is constantly comparing what it's seeing to the images in order to keep you safe.

Think of it like "Street View" on super steroids with computation. Easily worth the fee if commuting on a supported road -- this feature would have to score a 12 on a 1-10 scale -- or even for the occasional longer trip.
Oh I’m not talking about technically speaking, I just don’t think the cost is equivocal. The value I get from a data connection on a phone is far better than that which I get for putting internet..in my car? For slightly lazier driving?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Nice, this is really cool. What’s the main difference from the free adaptive cruise control that the premiums (or all MMEs?) already get, the ability for the vehicle to steer for itself on mapped highways?
As you state you can take your hands off the wheel and let the car drive. Should be even more relaxing than adaptive cruise, which itself is a huge step up from standard cruise.

Oh I’m not talking about technically speaking, I just don’t think the cost is equivocal. The value I get from a data connection on a phone is far better than that which I get for putting internet..in my car? For slightly lazier driving?
It's not internet based. You're paying for the functionality. If you think it's just "lazy driving" then don't get it. Not trying to argue with your viewpoint, just stating a face. I think it's going to make a lot of drives (OK not at the moment!) much more relaxing and probably safer as well, so I'm all over it.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
As you state you can take your hands off the wheel and let the car drive. Should be even more relaxing than adaptive cruise, which itself is a huge step up from standard cruise.

It's not internet based. You're paying for the functionality. If you think it's just "lazy driving" then don't get it. Not trying to argue with your viewpoint, just stating a face. I think it's going to make a lot of drives (OK not at the moment!) much more relaxing and probably safer as well, so I'm all over it.
I like the functionality, I’m just not made of money for this whole service perpetual sharecropping world every company is trying to force us into. It nearly killed me to get the cheap cellular for an Apple Watch. The car has marginal utility for that amount of expense.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I forgot to take a picture of it today, but on the park assist screen there are three options: parallel park, perpendicular park, and undo parallel park (i.e. what they are calling "Park Out Assist").

It's nearly exactly as shown here, same options as shown, just with the user interface layout modernized for SYNC 4A:

I wonder if park out assist is for both parallel and perpendicular? Or maybe park out from perpendicular is the new enhancement.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I wonder if park out assist is for both parallel and perpendicular? Or maybe park out from perpendicular is the new enhancement.
Or if Park Out assist on the ME will be available when some idiot parks too close to your driver side door and you can’t get in your car on the driver side. It would be real handy if you could activate it from FordPass on the phone just to pull out.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Or if Park Out assist on the ME will be available when some idiot parks too close to your driver side door and you can’t get in your car on the driver side. It would be real handy if you could activate it from FordPass on the phone just to pull out.
Agreed!

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I read this as "included in the FE" - am I right?
Sponsored