Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
To be clear, lane-center is NOT a self-driving feature and should not be thought of as such. Drivers are expected to be in full control of the car at all times. Lane center simply notices if you start to drift and tries to keep you centered in the lane. It does not know what it may encounter on the road.

The self-driving feature expected later this year isn't the same... that system DOES know what to expect to encounter on the road. It knows when it is approaching a curve, etc. The computer is ok as long as the road looks like what the computer expects the road to look like.
This is where, respectfully, this discussion keeps bogging down. The fact is that "drivers are expected to be in full control of the car at all times" even with the added "self driving" capability. Not opinion - fact. So the question is: what does the $600 package actually give you besides trading one form of driver supervision for another possibly stricter form of driver supervision? That is THE question.

In answer to that question, you and others opine that the $600 will also get you a superior, more reliable version of lane keep assist through access to these pre-mapped highways. And maybe that's true. Maybe. But I don't think we actually know that yet. I hope it is true - that might be worth it to me.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We do know, it lets you drive pre-mapped highways w/o your hands on the wheel. It sounds like that isn't worth it to you. It is to me and I will be spending the $600 for that capability.
I will sell you that technology for $100. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Hands-Free Active Drive Assist PRICING Announced, OTA Update Available in Q3 2021 Tesla-Autoplot-V10

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I will sell you that technology for $100. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Hands-Free Active Drive Assist PRICING Announced, OTA Update Available in Q3 2021 Tesla-Autoplot-V10
Was your whole point to get on the forum to say this whole thing is stupid? Got it. Your entitled to your opinion, others disagree. How much longer are you going to belabor the point?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was your whole point to get on the forum to say this whole thing is stupid? Got it. Your entitled to your opinion, others disagree. How much longer are you going to belabor the point?
Well, until I feel validated, obviously. :)

Last edited:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Elon does not think Lidar is bad technology and Tesla certainly uses it. Musk doesn’t want Lidar on customer cars because it is expensive and bulky and not having it is a cost-cutting measure. Just like ford (and most other automakers), they think that pre-mapping and then using Cameras on owner vehicles is the most economical way of getting “good enough” data. Tesla most certainly uses lidar for pre-mapping highways, just like Ford and others.
That's not what Tesla says about their systems. There are numerous other articles mentioning the same things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...ch-self-driving-harder-only-way-to-scale/amp/

"Waymo and many others in the industry use high-definition maps. You have to first drive some car that pre-maps the environment, you have to have lidar with centimeter-level accuracy, and you are on rails. You know exactly how you are going to turn in an intersection, you know exactly which traffic lights are relevant to you, you where they are positioned and everything. We do not make these assumptions. For us, every single intersection we come up to, we see it for the first time. Everything has to be sold — just like what a human would do in the same situation"

Kind of unusual for people to debate about a feature they apparently wouldn't use our pay for. If I didn't have any interest in something, I wouldn't bother talking about it.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Sure, it is called Google Maps and can be accessed completely free with CarPlay/Android Auto. There are many other free navigation software you can use too which have historically been more accurate than factory nav systems.
It's been discussed on this forum ad nauseam. Google Maps is not Free. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the only way to get to truly autonomous driving is when cars don’t just “see” but also communicate with other cars and the roads themselves. And I think that is a few decades away. Until that time, you’re gonna have a lot of Tesla drivers playing Russian roulette with half-baked autonomous driving around town. The roads themselves are the easier part - it’s all the human drivers that really introduces unpredictability. People should remember the first rule of driver’s ed: the key to being a safe driver is being a good defensive driver.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
It's been discussed on this forum ad nauseam. Google Maps is not Free. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
By free I mean “costs no money”. Whether you like google or their business model is up to you, but you can’t deny that money is not leaving your bank account if you use them. I personally could care less if Google is selling my location data or using my travel habits to better target advertising. That doesn’t harm me at all and more relevent advertising is better than less relevent, in my opinion. If you don’t like them; feel free to pay cash elsewhere. The point is you have options.

All I am saying is that I don’t think it is worth an additional $600 (for 3 years) and I don’t like the ever increasing subscription services being tied to automotive functions to nickel and dime customers after the sale.

Feel free to differ in opinion and say it is perfectly reasonable; I was just explaining the various reasons why I doubt I’ll buy the hands-free software package. I’m sure others will love it; particular those who plan to put on lots of highway miles on their Mach-E.

Last edited:

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
For those who have taken delivery and received the $100 off for the Active Drive Assist Prep Package, what paper acknowledgement did you receive? I think my dealer "forgot" the $100 and any related docs that go with this.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
For those who have taken delivery and received the $100 off for the Active Drive Assist Prep Package, what paper acknowledgement did you receive? I think my dealer "forgot" the $100 and any related docs that go with this.
Should have been a form like this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Hands-Free Active Drive Assist PRICING Announced, OTA Update Available in Q3 2021 1616093992036

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You should have signed a single sheet of paper at delivery that was for the $100. I didn't get a copy or anything though.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
There is no commitment or contract just the document posted by @hybrid2bev

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
Should have been a form like this:

1616093992036.png
Yup, definitely did not sign this document.

Edit: @hybrid2bev who at Ford should I follow up with? I am going to let the dealer know about this omission, but I expect resistance. This dealer had to be watched carefully - they had tremendous issues "finding" Options and then tried telling me that $299 doc fee limit was only A-plan and didn't apply to X-plan (the latter I proved to them was wrong and they moved it to the correct amount ($100.)

BTW - the dealer model stinks.

Last edited:

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I do not remember signing anything to that effect
Sponsored