RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Someone earlier posted this Forbes article comparing Ford and Tesla ADAS systems:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...e-drive-assist-quick-compare/?sh=76d1cdf7034c

If you haven't watched the video at the bottom of the article, I encourage you to do so. They are testing the new Tesla FSD Beta on site streets.

That system would scare the crap out of me. You'll see how many times the system would have hit parked vehicles if it weren't for intervention. It also takes some turns like a "Wild Mouse" rollercoaster. No thank you!
The best thing about the video is watching how well the drone does "auto follow", or how well the passenger is controlling the drone.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Someone earlier posted this Forbes article comparing Ford and Tesla ADAS systems:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...e-drive-assist-quick-compare/?sh=76d1cdf7034c

If you haven't watched the video at the bottom of the article, I encourage you to do so. They are testing the new Tesla FSD Beta on site streets.

That system would scare the crap out of me. You'll see how many times the system would have hit parked vehicles if it weren't for intervention. It also takes some turns like a "Wild Mouse" rollercoaster. No thank you!
YIKES! And, @ChasingCoral . . . after months of that Grabber Blue profile pic, this new one is hard to get used to!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

And it's in a non busy area, well they paid $8.000 to do the work for Tesla.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Wow....I can live with the price. I read a while back that Ford was looking at additional income streams., I could see after 3 years the cost would be in the $20 month range. Included would be all OTA updates. Well worth it. In a sense it keeps the car "new". The only reason to replace it is if something went wrong or just bored of it. I was told that Ford has the battery that is going through 15 years worth of driving and so far there are zero issues. I was also told, Mind you this is form my dealer, that Ford is in fact building their own battery factory. Hopefully someone here can corroborate this info.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And it's in a non busy area, well they paid $8.000 to do the work for Tesla.
Exactly what I thought. Pay HUGE money to be a tester and perfecter for Tesla! Meanwhile, if you, or anyone else dies, it's on YOU. As someone who cycles a lot, and tries to stay off vehicle roads - this terrifies me.
I don't know if I am just noticing now, but Teslas used to be like Unicorns around here in Ohio. Now, I can't go a day without seeing one somewhere.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As someone who cycles a lot, and tries to stay off vehicle roads - this terrifies me.
I go running a lot and feel the same way about any of this autonomous driving tech (any carmaker’s version of it). I think people often have terrible sense about what they are doing in their cars and can sadly see many accidents in the future caused by people not realizing their autonomous tech is not keeping a safe distance from pedestrians/cyclists and failing to intervene.

You already see it with automatic headlights, people not overriding their car’s auto headlight setting to turn it on in heavy fog because the car’s sensor disagrees and is keeping the lights off. This autonomous tech is a similar thing just potentially 1000x more dangerous to others on the road.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I don't think I've seen this highlighted anywhere, but the door sticker says the MME has wiper activated headlights! I'm really happy about this. It's a great safety feature. And a lot of states now require your headlights to be on when it raining and your wipers are on.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Hands-Free Active Drive Assist PRICING Announced, OTA Update Available in Q3 2021 76947EDE-369E-46FE-9C02-195F23048A66

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Exactly what I thought. Pay HUGE money to be a tester and perfecter for Tesla! Meanwhile, if you, or anyone else dies, it's on YOU. As someone who cycles a lot, and tries to stay off vehicle roads - this terrifies me.
I don't know if I am just noticing now, but Teslas used to be like Unicorns around here in Ohio. Now, I can't go a day without seeing one somewhere.
As a regular cyclist the only thing that scares me more than having people drive 2 tons of aluminum with a software driver is texting while driving.

Here what an inattentive driver did to my recumbent bike while I was riding it:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Hands-Free Active Drive Assist PRICING Announced, OTA Update Available in Q3 2021 1604379069845

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It's a recumbent bike... maybe it was on purpose. jk Glad you recovered.

I was hit by a driver that was only looking for oncoming traffic (left) while turning right off a side street, never looked right. I've since jumped out of the way of that same accident dozens of times.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As a regular cyclist the only thing that scares me more than having people drive 2 tons of aluminum with a software driver is texting while driving.

Here what an inattentive driver did to my recumbent bike while I was riding it:
1604379069845.png
My wife and I are the only people we know who ride bikes on this island who have not been hit by a car.

Almost everyone out here rides with a Cycliq type camera light in both the front and back of the bike recording everything now. We have too many ghost bikes to put up.

Cars are a hazard to everything around them.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My wife and I are the only people we know who ride bikes on this island who have not been hit by a car.

Almost everyone out here rides with a Cycliq type camera light in both the front and back of the bike recording everything now. We have too many ghost bikes to put up.

Cars are a hazard to everything around them.
I ride with flashing LED’s both front and back. Never thought of a camera.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I ride with flashing LED’s both front and back. Never thought of a camera.
For the rear:
https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/?v=7516fd43adaa

For the front:

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12ce/?v=7516fd43adaa

Just examples. There are other companies and other versions of Cycliq camera/lights.

ive also used a Garmin Radar for my Tri bike. It won’t prevent you from being struck from behind either, but you won’t be surprised by ttaffic anyway.

I know 4 people who were killed on the roads here, I also had a friend who was extremely seriously injured when a Jeep Wrangler literally ran him over.

All but one accident out here that I’m aware of were cyclists struck from behind. The only exception in my personal experience was a cyclist T-boned by a car making a left turn.

Lane keeping on driver assistance programs could have saved these lives.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
For the rear:
https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/?v=7516fd43adaa

For the front:

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12ce/?v=7516fd43adaa

Just examples. There are other companies and other versions of Cycliq camera/lights.
Those are brilliant. I never thought about that . . . I'm going to have to see if Trek is making a product that uses my front BLENDR mount on my bike.
Although I am not sure my wife will want video of me getting splattered.

Distracted driving is the primary reason I do 99% of my riding on non-motorized trails. I can do a 20 mile ride easily from my house almost all on trails nearby. The Canalway Trail in Ohio stretches nearly 75 miles from Cleveland to South of Canton and is a great resource.

Thanks again for the tip!
Sponsored