mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I see that the European version has "adaptive LED mustang signature headlights".

Are these matrix headlights?

Are they installable in American Mach E's (after delivery)?

C423A5DB-020B-4546-AA3D-1DF83EFC8152.jpeg
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don’t know if they are available on NA spec Mach-E’s.

Pretty sure this came up elsewhere on here and it was "no." The US has some regulations in place that prevent a lot of this kind of stuff in the US at this time, AIUI.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Pretty sure this came up elsewhere on here and it was "no." The US has some regulations in place that prevent a lot of this kind of stuff in the US at this time, AIUI.
I also thought matrix LED’s can’t be used in the US but adaptive headlights that turn with the steering are available. Like on the Explorer.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
When I was previously looking at the Volvo XC40 Recharge I was excited about the pixel lights until I learned they aren’t allowed in the US. The pixel lights allow you to drive with high beams at all times by creating a contour around approaching drivers so the sides of the road still get illuminated with the highs.

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
The rule blocking matrix headlights is from 1967! 53 years ago!!

Here's a good article about it. It was moving forward in 2018. Unfortunately, it hasn't progressed since then.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a33447381/why-is-america-stuck-with-bad-headlights/

And a quick quote:

"Toyota has petitioned NHTSA to change the rule, allowing adaptive headlight systems. And it looked like that process was grinding forward in 2018, when it was in the phase where manufacturers could weigh in with comments (Subaru pointed out that NHTSA referred to a "potion" of a test when it meant "portion," and we respect their attention to detail-slash-pettiness.) But, big surprise, no updated rule has been finalized. And that's why we're still stuck with high-beams and low-beams and no in-between-beams."

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
Do we know for sure there are different headlights on the Mach-E in Europe vs. the US? There are already two different levels of LED headlamps in US-spec models, one for Select/Route 1 and another for Premium/GT. It sounds like Europe has a similar distinction, just with different trim levels.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The non clicky version of the article at

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a33447381/why-is-america-stuck-with-bad-headlights/

Why Is America Stuck with Bad Headlights?
A drive in a European-market 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S with matrix LEDs shows just how dumb our headlights are in the U.S.
41ae8341-8802-4712-8725-4d9623ba3b67_1551293987.png

BY EZRA DYER
AUG 2, 2020

911headlightgrab-1595958312.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.jpg

CAR AND DRIVER
I didn't figure I'd fall in love with the 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S for its headlights. This, after all, is a car that has 640 horsepower, does zero to 60 in 2.6 seconds, and tops out at 205 mph. I figured I'd be into it for mostly those reasons, which are pretty solid positives in any context. But this particular Turbo S wore a German plate up front and carried a German registration decal on the windshield. These days, there isn't usually much difference between a U.S.-market car and one destined for Europe, but the European Turbo S includes a major feature forbidden to us here: LED matrix headlights. Now I'm totally ruined for our dumb old lamps, for I have literally seen the light. And we can't have it.

porschematrix-1595962318.jpg

CAR AND DRIVER
Each of the 911's lighting units includes 84 individually controlled LEDs that allow the car to continuously morph the pattern of its beams. When a car approaches in the oncoming lane, the 911's headlights dim around it while leaving the rest of the pattern bright. The other driver doesn't get blinded, but you still have blazing lights on your side. It's a wonder to behold. During nighttime drives in the Turbo S, I never had another driver flick their high-beams at me in annoyance—which sometimes happens with cars that simply have bright LED low-beams. The Porsche would also dim the right side if road signs on the shoulder were overly reflective. Sometimes, you'd see the lights go through two distinct dimming phases, which illustrates how blazingly bright they are at max wattage. With all 168 LEDs at full blaze, you feel like you can see a quarter-mile down the road. And maybe you can.

p18-0898-a4-rgb-1595962216.jpg

IN 1967, HEADLIGHTS COULDN'T DO THIS. BUT NOW THEY CAN.
CAR AND DRIVER

Porsche's adaptive lights are clearly a major improvement over the simple high-beam or low-beam setup mandated for the U.S. So why can you get them in Munich but not Milwaukee? At issue is Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, which has defined our headlights since 1967. And ol' FMVSS 108 set out rules that only defined high-beams and low-beams, because back then we didn't have Willy Wonka headlights that can go sideways, and slantways, and longways, and backways.

History buffs will note that 1967 was a long time ago, and since then a few things have changed in the realm of vehicular forward-roadway illumination. But the rule remains in place for the simple reason that it's really hard to get everyone involved to agree on what should come next. There is hope, however. Toyota has petitioned NHTSA to change the rule, allowing adaptive headlight systems. And it looked like that process was grinding forward in 2018, when it was in the phase where manufacturers could weigh in with comments (Subaru pointed out that NHTSA referred to a "potion" of a test when it meant "portion," and we respect their attention to detail-slash-pettiness.) But, big surprise, no updated rule has been finalized. And that's why we're still stuck with high-beams and low-beams and no in-between-beams.

I have a solution to fast-track approval of the new rule. It involves dropping a certain 911 Turbo S at NHTSA for a week or two for, you know, measurements and whatnot. Be the change you want to see in the world, Porsche. And maybe after the headlight thing is squared away, we can talk to them about my idea for the Autobahn Lane.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
But do matrix LEDs really work all that great? If they are as finicky as auto high-beams, there will often be situations where you have completely blinded and caused discomfort to another driver before the system kicks in and correctly recognizes that it should lower the brightness. I frankly wouldn’t mind if auto high-beams weren’t allowed on American cars and gotta wonder how precise smart matrix LEDs really are in day-to-day use.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
But do matrix LEDs really work all that great? If they are as finicky as auto high-beams, there will often be situations where you have completely blinded and caused discomfort to another driver before the system kicks in and correctly recognizes that it should lower the brightness. I frankly wouldn’t mind if auto high-beams weren’t allowed on American cars and gotta wonder how precise smart matrix LEDs really are in day-to-day use.
Very precise and very accurate right now, and they’re getting better. Our headlamp rules are based upon ancient technology. Adaptive headlights are a real safety improvement.

Perhaps our EU. Members could comment?

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Very precise and very accurate right now, and they’re getting better. Our headlamp rules are based upon ancient technology. Adaptive headlights are a real safety improvement.

Perhaps our EU. Members could comment?
I have adaptive headlight and it works ok with other cars in front of me or opposite me (blocks them out so no problem for them), where it fails slightly is other road or sidewalk users like bicycle or people on foot.

So out of town on secondary or highways it helps, it only switches on above 60km/h.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Do we know for sure there are different headlights on the Mach-E in Europe vs. the US? There are already two different levels of LED headlamps in US-spec models, one for Select/Route 1 and another for Premium/GT. It sounds like Europe has a similar distinction, just with different trim levels.
In the UK our RWD versions come with LED projector headlights and the AWD versions come with Adaptive LED mustang signature headlights.

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
No, matrix headlights are not allowed in the US ?

Here's another of Bjorn Nyland's headlights review. This time on the Mercedes EQC, which seems to be a much better system than the ID.3 or the Polestar 2.

Sponsored