Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
    Featured
Hey Man..... I may be able to go to Koons after work. My objective is to check to be sure that the area behind the rear seat has adequate room and height for my dog to ride back there safely. Will bring a tape measure, not the dog.
How big is the dog?

vikramb92

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2017, Ford Focus Electric 2013
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Elsewhere under the hood and other hatches:

Also under the hood are a few key hatches.
under the hood panels.jpeg

The obvious filler tube is windshield washer fluid. Next two it are a couple of small panels, the port panel next to the windshield fluid seemed to access fuses and the starboard didn't open as readily so I didn't dig.

But then there's the big panel.
I popped off the panel between the Frunk and the windshield to check the access to some inner workings. It seems to be held in place by nine pop-clamps. It takes a patient effort to free them all to get the panel off.

IMG_6044.jpeg

Inside you find
On Port: 12v battery and brake fluid
IMG_6045.jpeg

On Starboard: Coolant? It seems to pressurize to 21 psi and has the color of most coolant.
Also a fancy silver box that seems to not want you to peek inside. I think there will be lots of those parts in the Mach E with do-not-touch electronics.
IMG_6046.jpeg

I confirmed what we already know: the tow hook panel on the front bumper isn't a tow hook panel at all. I definitely didn't see a tow hook stub in there. It does contain access to the red and black jumper cables to get you into the Frunk when the 12v battery is dead:
IMG_6043.jpeg

From the gauge of wire, they could be used for slow charging or maintenance charging but nothing fast. They must not be live to the battery when the battery is live as they are just sitting in there loose and uncovered. Definitely something to read about in the manual.

And there's the all important hatch to put the horsepower in:
IMG_6041.jpeg

Unlike my Leaf where you can only open the charging panel from a button inside or the fob, the Mach E's is like an unlocked gas cap panel. You push on the side opposite the hinge and it pops right open revealing the J-1772 connector:
IMG_6038.jpeg

With the magnetic panel keeping the DC connectors clean that rounds out the CCS Combo connector:

IMG_6039.jpeg

Next up, the hatch.
Is the little button at the center of the charge level indicator ring, used to lock and unlock the charge cord? If so does anyone know if there some sort of indication that lets you know if the cord is locked or not.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is the little button at the center of the charge level indicator ring, used to lock and unlock the charge cord? If so does anyone know if there some sort of indication that lets you know if the cord is locked or not.
Looks like the little indicator lights inside the charge port door circle when locked. Check out the 10:00 mark...

Wouldn't surprise me if the phone app might also have an indicator, although I don't actually know.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
@ChasingCoral

If you were to compare it size wize, to another vehicle on streets today, which would it closely resemble?

OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
@ChasingCoral

If you were to compare it size wize, to another vehicle on streets today, which would it closely resemble?
Lots more room than our Leaf, more room than the Prius we used to have. probably similar Space to Nissan Rogue but doesn’t feel as chunky. I’ll know more once I drive it.

Despite lower ground clearance, seat height feels higher than the Leaf - very comfortable.

Feels like it’s going to have a wide turning radius with that Mustang-length wheelbase.

Schmedlack

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape S 1925 Ford Tudor (2-door)
Occupation
Trader
Country flag
How big is the dog?
Hi Mach e people... Thanks for your interest. The canine friend is a Boxer 24 in tall. It is best by far to make the cargo area the special place just for a dog. A basic SUV dog barrier works well. Pads all around provide a little safety. The dog gets used to riding back there. Makes for a happy trip, all around.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, Mach E ordered
Country flag
Lots more room than our Leaf, more room than the Prius we used to have. probably similar Space to Nissan Rogue but doesn’t feel as chunky. I’ll know more once I drive it.

Despite lower ground clearance, seat height feels higher than the Leaf - very comfortable.

Feels like it’s going to have a wide turning radius with that Mustang-length wheelbase.
I dont personally know of a vehicle that is close but I have to say it is slightly smaller than a Honda CRV (last five years models). Its the right size for me at this time in my life. The trunk with the floor in the lower positions works to be decent size. Personally I thought it to be more like a raised family sedan like say an accord, Mazd6 - something like that.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, Mach E ordered
Country flag
Supposedly the light indicates lock/unlock status per the Ford rep that explained the buttons to me.

First Edition

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW 530e, Mach E Co-Opt 3600 Edition on order
Country flag
@ChasingCoral

Porsche Macan.

BB2N0qR.png
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD First Edition
BB2N0qR.png
2021 Porsche Macan S
Add another car to compare
DIMENSIONS
Width (In.) 74.0 in.76.2 in.
Height (In.) 63.0 in.64.0 in.
Length (In.) 186.0 in.184.9 in.
BodyStyle SUVSUV
Number Of Doors 44