First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I just checked the Farmers web site and found that I can now quote auto policy changes online. That's a good improvement versus having to contact my local agent.

However, as I proceeded along with the Mach-E quote, I eventually got to a page where it said an error occurred and that I'd need to contact my agent. Oh well! :)

When the time comes, I'll most likely just switch it over with my agent (or online, if it is working), and then will immediately begin calling around to other insurers or brokers for competitive offers and move my policy(s).
Sponsored

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind is that initial rates can increase over time when new info is available - happened to me - a new model year car was quoted and insured and a few months later the agent called me and said that the insurance was based on prior year model and the new model info came in and sorry but your insurance is going up. It may go down again in a year or so when more data is available.

The difference was like 20$ a month if I recollect. Only one such instance in all my vehicle ownership years
honestly that likely was not the real reason but the one your agent told you because it sounds good.

insurance rates have to be approved by the state’s department of insurance. HOWEVER insurance companies are sneaky. Cars are given car symbols. These symbols represent all of the info about the year make and model of the car. If the insurance company is losing money for whatever reason they need to increase rates. In Cali the maximum rate that a company can ask for is $6.99. HOWEVER if they really need say 10% then they request the 6.99% and at the same time change the car symbol. Car symbols are not considered rate increases so therefore need zero state approval. What you saw was either a rate increase or in terms change having ZERO to do with your car. Does this make sense??SOME Insurance agents want to keep your business. As such they will tell you what they feel you will accept.NOT all agents but the a small percentage will make the rest of us look bad.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I just checked the Farmers web site and found that I can now quote auto policy changes online. That's a good improvement versus having to contact my local agent.

However, as I proceeded along with the Mach-E quote, I eventually got to a page where it said an error occurred and that I'd need to contact my agent. Oh well! :)

When the time comes, I'll most likely just switch it over with my agent (or online, if it is working), and then will immediately begin calling around to other insurers or brokers for competitive offers and move my policy(s).
I was a Farmers agent for 30 years. I am not sure what State that you are in but in Cali I went independent because I was tired of telling clients why their rates kept increasing.

FYI at least in Cali both Mercury and Safeco (Elite side of Liberty Mutual) have THE cheapest rates as well as far better coverage than Farmers. Outside of Cali I have no idea. This is just free advice.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I was a Farmers agent for 30 years. I am not sure what State that you are in but in Cali I went independent because I was tired of telling clients why their rates kept increasing.

FYI at least in Cali both Mercury and Safeco (Elite side of Liberty Mutual) have THE cheapest rates as well as far better coverage than Farmers. Outside of Cali I have no idea. This is just free advice.
I switched to Farmers from Liberty Mutual (home) and Progressive (auto) in 2015. Every single renewal event has included steep rate increases.

I did ask the agent about it the first several times, but the responses weren't convincing or satisfying.

Yet I've stayed with them because when I shop around other rates, Farmers' is still competitive or better.

I don't trust them though, and will likely switch away no matter what at this point. They asked for all sorts of details on homeowners policies like roofing material and I gave them honest, completely true responses, but they modified policies shortly after I started with them and changed facts, like changing concrete tile to asphalt shingles. It's crazy, I questioned it, and they said don't worry about it.

Obviously five years later I still think of it so that is a good sign I need to move vendors again.

Anyway, I'm in Arizona, not California. The state's insurance department published an annual "Premium Comparison and Complaint Ratios" document, which I'll review to narrow down providers when I'm ready to requote everything. I think one of the best ranked here, at least for customer satisfaction with claims etc, is Amica.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I switched to Farmers from Liberty Mutual (home) and Progressive (auto) in 2015. Every single renewal event has included steep rate increases.

I did ask the agent about it the first several times, but the responses weren't convincing or satisfying.

Yet I've stayed with them because when I shop around other rates, Farmers' is still competitive or better.

I don't trust them though, and will likely switch away no matter what at this point. They asked for all sorts of details on homeowners policies like roofing material and I gave them honest, completely true responses, but they modified policies shortly after I started with them and changed facts, like changing concrete tile to asphalt shingles. It's crazy, I questioned it, and they said don't worry about it.

Obviously five years later I still think of it so that is a good sign I need to move vendors again.

Anyway, I'm in Arizona, not California. The state's insurance department published an annual "Premium Comparison and Complaint Ratios" document, which I'll review to narrow down providers when I'm ready to requote everything. I think one of the best ranked here, at least for customer satisfaction with claims etc, is Amica.
honestly you cannot go by reviews because the only people giving negative reviews are those that are angry. Those that have no issues do not post reviews. The best way to find out about customer service etc is ask people that you know from all walks of life. Use that info to make a decision and NOT the internet.

as for the house stuff you ABSOLUTELY NEED to take that VERY seriously. The agent is manipulating aspects of your house to make things cheaper. THE problem is if you have a loss and you are written as having asphalt shingles then two things can happen.
1. Your claim is DENIED because that is a material breach of the contract.

2. youget LESS money because you were insured with a cheaper product. In short you lose no matter how it turns out. If an agent says don’t worry about it because the change does not matter it is time to RUN and not walk away. This is the equivalent of owning a Ferrari and it being insured as a ford pinto. They are both car insurance so why does it matter.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
honestly you cannot go by reviews because the only people giving negative reviews are those that are angry. Those that have no issues do not post reviews. The best way to find out about customer service etc is ask people that you know from all walks of life. Use that info to make a decision and NOT the internet.

as for the house stuff you ABSOLUTELY NEED to take that VERY seriously. The agent is manipulating aspects of your house to make things cheaper. THE problem is if you have a loss and you are written as having asphalt shingles then two things can happen.
1. Your claim is DENIED because that is a material breach of the contract.

2. youget LESS money because you were insured with a cheaper product. In short you lose no matter how it turns out. If an agent says don’t worry about it because the change does not matter it is time to RUN and not walk away. This is the equivalent of owning a Ferrari and it being insured as a ford pinto. They are both car insurance so why does it matter.
Understood, thanks. I'll take care of this within a few months (when MME arrives). Bye bye Farmers... Ba-da-dum-bum-bum-bum-BUM.

As to the reviews -- yes I agree. The department of insurance docs publish complaint ratios, and number of state subscribers. A complaint means an individual consumer had an issue bad enough that they filed a complaint with the state. Since it's a ratio and not an absolute number, it seems valuable to me. The # of policy holders is also provided, to give an idea of how large a particular carrier is compared to the others.

And yeah I agree on asking around. I have some co-workers using Amica who have filed claims and have been very impressed with how things went, which is why I'd personally rank them much higher if all other things were equal (premiums etc).

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
that's not unbearably terrible.
1603990734452.png

and the Fusion quote dropped by about $100 due to multi-car discount (I think - it wasn't clear).
What insurer is that with?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
What insurer is that with?
Progressive. Been with them for over 20 years - in college I had Geico until an accident, at which point they wanted to charge me $3000+/6 months (this was in the 1990s mind you) after a $1200 payout. I went to Progressive and never looked back.

Whenever I see Geico ads bragging about how much cheaper they are, I get a little angry, because they treat their customers like sh*t. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Progressive. Been with them for over 20 years - in college I had Geico until an accident, at which point they wanted to charge me $3000+/6 months (this was in the 1990s mind you) after a $1200 payout. I went to Progressive and never looked back.

Whenever I see Geico ads bragging about how much cheaper they are, I get a little angry, because they treat their customers like sh*t. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I guess different folks have different experiences. We were with Geico for many years and they did right by us including during claims. We're now with Allstate because of the benefits when we bundled with our home insurance.

rickmendes

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
We have USAA with the Mach-E replacing our 2011 Mercedes and their quote was +$44/month. We live in Los Angeles.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
the MME will be LESS than a 3 by a mile

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag

Geuco building model is quite simple. They do not care about retention. Insurance studies show that the average driver has an accident once every 7 years. HOWEVER once you have an accident the chances of a second one is drastically increased to a second one within 2 years.

geico wants people with zero accidents. Tickets are irrelevant because insurance companies up charge for the insurance with ZERO dollars paid out. Pure profit. Geico after an accident raises the price so high forcing g people to leave so that they do kit incur the second accident.

the WORST accident to have is a NON FAULT one. Why??? Because insurance companies pay out but cannot surcharge. In short money just goes out. A FAUKT accident gets surcharged.

progressive is a good company BUT they are having financial issues. Their losses are adding up too quickly and as such they are now starting to underwrite much more aggressively. As such their pricing is increasing compared to other companies. Their claim service is great but once you have an accident they will re underwrite your entire account and make life difficult. They will ask for registrations on every car and copies of every drivers license. In short like Geico they want you to go away.

I know this because they are one of the companies I sell. I personally have them because I cannot qualify for much better companies like Mercury or Safeco/liberty mutual. I have too many fault free accidents. In short my advice is progressive is great if your record is good. The big three who have what is termed “captive” agents meaning they can ONLY sell for a single company stay away from. There are only 3 companies like that but so I do not incur a lawsuit I will not mention names.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Hmm, weird. My wife and I went to Geico in 2003 or so after we were in an accident. I don't remember who our insurance co was, but the woman that hit is was with Geico. They were a pleasure to deal with, and our company was unhelpful and unresponsive - so we switched. Since then my Son and daughter both have had accidents, and while our rates did go up some it wasn't bad and they were still very helpful.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.