Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
I’m not sure how accurate this report is though. For example Tesla doesn’t split model y sales from model 3, so those are just a guess, and they haven’t made any model X in 2021 so they definitely didn’t sell 6,098 of them in Q2
Yes, the author of the report doesn’t include information about where the data is sourced, so its anyone’s guess. Perhaps there’s an explanation elsewhere on their website. At any rate, reservation data is one popular, accepted way to estimate vehicle sales, so these numbers might be reasonably accurate. Here is Electrek’s writeup on Experian’s Jan-April numbers, which are based off registrations.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/14/tesla-tsla-leads-95-increase-electric-car-sales-us/

You can see Model 3 and Model Y numbers are indeed separated (which is easy to do with reservation data), and Model X isn’t zero. It doesn’t prove Cox’s data is accurate, obviously, but it isn’t impossible that they have it reasonably correct.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford managed to build a car on par with the Model Y, and now they need to acquire mindshare (and ramp up production) to capture marketshare. As @praxiscat said, that's a big reason for the pony badge.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Apart from the battery, which Tesla's suppliers can't produce inexpensively and in volume, the specs and pricing is BS. When (if) the ugly truck comes out it will be a lot less desirable, so perhaps it would make more business sense to can it altogether and come up with a better design.
With over 800,000 reservations (some say 1,000,000), I doubt Tesla will can it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the design. Yet, lots of reservations would indicate strong demand.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I wonder when we will actually see a cyber truck actually driving down the road.

I see the only thing holding back Ford EV sales is battery supply.
I have been wondering the same thing on the cyber truck. That being said I honestly don’t expect long term the cyber truck to do well in the truck market long term. It going to get early adopters and Tesla fans but that look is really only for a small group of people who like it. It going to run into the same issues the first Honda Ridgeline ran into which is it does not look like a pickup truck.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag

Personally, I'm not a fan of the design. Yet, lots of reservations would indicate strong demand.
How much will stick with it. Remember when the Tesla truck was announced it was the only full size truck/SUV available to pre order. All others were at best crossovers. Hell right now the only EV SUV you can get is a crossover.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Now.... if they could just deliver a few more of them.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla's biggest issue is having customers lock in at the original price in 2019, 2020, when the steel prices were fairly low. Current steel prices are significantly higher. Doesn't bode well for margins for all auto manufacturers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E is the second best selling all-electric SUV in the U.S. (per Ford Earnings Report) 1627564801987

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag

It's obviously going to sell well if Tesla can follow through, but Ford will no doubt eat into those reservations with the lightning. Vast majority of cost-of-ownership commercial business I suspect will go Ford's way.

I may be completely off here, but I also think Ford needs to get a less conservative model/trim to market sooner rather than later. I think the idea of driving an electric truck that's more capable, faster, and "tougher" than the brodozers and the "insurrectiony" types that tend to drive them and have scoffed at EVs for years is VERY appealing. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's not the primary driver of CT reservations. Hummer truck would scratch that itch but it's far too expensive. Rivian is too conservative and refined. But a Lightning Raptor for like 59,9 that can run my house in a power outage would get me to cancel my hummer reservation tomorrow.

Excited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Techno+
Occupation
GIS Engineering
Country flag
On that note ford also said during the earnings call they were going to increase Mach e production by 70% and are taking similar actions with electric transit and f-150 lightning
Electric Transits will sell well in Europe, I believe!

EVs in the segment 'cargo vans' will most likely, very soon, benefit a lot financially when it comes to toll boots + access to city areas that will be closed for traditional cars

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Just some information, and a question.

On July 26, Tesla reported net income of $1.14 Billion, $354 million of that came from carbon credits.

So $1.14 B - $354 M= $786 M net income from the production of BEV vehicles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/tesla-tsla-earnings-q2-2021.html

On July 28, Ford announced a net income of $561 Million.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2021/07/28/2q-2021-ford-financials.pdf

Ford's market cap, the worth of the company, is $57 Billion +/-, and their stock price to earnings ratio (P/E) is 14 +/-, with the stock trading at about $14.40 right now.

Tesla's market cap today is about $669 Billion, and their P/E is 357 +/- , with the stock trading at $677 right now.

Question: When do you think Tesla's P/E ratio will go down to a normal P/E, like the S&P 500 average of 34?

Current S&P 500 PE Ratio:34.54 +0.22 (0.63%)
1:24 PM EDT, Thu Jul 29

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

On July 26, Tesla reported net income of $1.14 Billion, $354 million of that came from carbon credits.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2021/07/28/2q-2021-ford-financials.pdf

Ford's market cap, the worth of the company, is $57 Billion +/-, and their stock price to earnings ratio (P/E) is 14 +/-, with the stock trading at about $14.40 right now.

Tesla's market cap today is about $669 Billion, and their P/E is 357 +/- , with the stock trading at $677 right now.

Question: When do you think Tesla's P/E ratio will go down to a normal P/E, like the S&P 500 average of 34?
This has been discussed extensively in the past, but the answer is when pundits and investors recognize that a company with 4 plants can't possibly outproduce dozens of companies with hundreds of plants combined.

Enron, the dutch tulip craze, and many more examples illustrate how imagination can outstrip intelligence

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Yes, the author of the report doesn’t include information about where the data is sourced, so its anyone’s guess.
Of course, they don't, why would they undermine their business. They are doing research and selling their services, they are not in the business of convincing anybody especially for free. Cox Automotive is pretty reliable source of information.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag

Whatever the rumored numbers are they are meaningless. If (and it's a big IF) the truck is released, it's going to be very different from what they showed. I don't know if it will be less ugly, but it definitely will cost more, and spec-ed less. All those reservations will evaporate in a moment.
Another thing to remember, when Tesla showed that hilarious unveiling, there were no other trucks on horizon. Now there are, and I think most people will like Ford, GM, and Rivian trucks more.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

As long as they're considered a tech company that sells cars, they'll likely continue getting the crazy multiple they currently enjoy.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whatever the rumored numbers are they are meaningless. If (and it's a big IF) the truck is released, it's going to be very different from what they showed. I don't know if it will be less ugly, but it definitely will cost more, and spec-ed less. All those reservations will evaporate in a moment.
Another thing to remember, when Tesla showed that hilarious unveiling, there were no other trucks on horizon. Now there are, and I think most people will like Ford, GM, and Rivian trucks more.
I agree that reservation numbers are meaningless.

From my purchasing experience with my 2020 Model Y (which I pre-ordered the night of the reveal), I ended up paying $3,000 less when I took delivery than the price I was originally quoted at pre-order.

While not a guarantee of future behavior, my two purchases had consistent pricing at the time of my order (Model Y) or reservation (Model 3).

I would like to know where you got the information that Cybertruck will be very different. And how it will be different. Lots of my Tesla community friends would love to know!
Sponsored