SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
I got word mine is scheduled for production May 9th. Time to get some accessories.

I want to get a level 2 charger from a reputable brand that has some display info about how much power it's taking. Can someone recommend me a model?
Sponsored

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Oh boy, here we go again. I use a OpenEVSE. Not UL listed but about the nicest for displaying details and adjustability. It varies wildly from there.

Seriously, if you search you'll find a hundred threads going over this already.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Haha, sorry.

What is UL?
Underwriters Laboratories; one of the regulatory authority for most electrical stuff in the USA. But registering with them requires paying for massive amounts of testing. In short anything UL listed will be more expensive to do the same thing. But they "assure" you that your device meets minimum safe criteria.

OP
OP

SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
OK cool. Does anyone else here use this one? I would feel more safe if others used it, too.

Totally open to other suggestions!

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
There are 2 types of level 2 chargers you can buy and I will list the top brands in my opinion

If you purchase a Smart charger, you will get the info on your app and display on the unit. If you purchase a dumb charger= no wifi, app updates, no display.

Top 5 as i have done some research and read reviews.
Chargepoint, Juicebox, Wallbox Pulsar, Evocharge, Grizzl E

Look on Amazon, they carry every brand.....

I went with Chargepoint directly from their website (https://www.chargepoint.com/)
my 2nd choice would have been Juicebox....Both of these chargers are made in USA or Canada....

BTW: You will need to upgrade your power to have a 240V (6-50 or 14-50 NEMA) outlet installed to plug the units in.

Good luck

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Underwriters Laboratories; one of the regulatory authority for most electrical stuff in the USA. But registering with them requires paying for massive amounts of testing. In short anything UL listed will be more expensive to do the same thing. But they "assure" you that your device meets minimum safe criteria.
Technically you don’t have to pay UL for testing, you just need to submit reports to them for electrical and electronic items. For impact and stuff like that, the testing needs to be done at an NRTL (Nationally-Recognized Testing Laboratory) and reports generated by them. UL itself is not a regulatory agency, but it is the most-recognized safety mark in the US. They also have a Canadian Mark. There is nothing compulsory about getting a safety mark in the US (unlike in the EU, where they have directives stating that you must at a minimum self-declare compliance to EMC and safety standards). That said, there are a lot of reasons to get a safety mark in the US, not the least of which is a big client might require it. 😊🐩

I worked for over a decade as an electro-mechanical engineer overseeing agency compliance (among other things like peeing on trees and bringing game home for the freezer). 🤪🐩

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Serious question for people who got/want smart charger so they can see charging data and no other reason:
What do you do with that data? Do you make any changes based on that data?

Having access to that data comes with a literal price. If you aren't using that data or the extra capabilities of the smart charger, don't pay that price. I guess, if you have nothing better to spend your money on and feel Chargepoint or GrizzlE would better know what to do with that money, then sure, go ahead.

I get that some people on time of use plans need/want more scheduling capability than allowed by the car. Those owners will benefit from a smart charger. Some owners electrical plans have different rate tiers based on peak power draw, so again I get the need for a smart charger.

If you just want a smart charger so you can look at the numbers, I'd argue you'd be better off buying a "dumb" charger and putting that money towards something else. The car will give you plenty of numbers to look at. Fordpass will actual KWh added with each charge session. Granted, that is going to be a little less than what comes out of the wall but there are pretty good estimates available for that difference.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Serious question for people who got/want smart charger so they can see charging data and no other reason:
What do you do with that data? Do you make any changes based on that data?

Having access to that data comes with a literal price. If you aren't using that data or the extra capabilities of the smart charger, don't pay that price. I guess, if you have nothing better to spend your money on and feel Chargepoint or GrizzlE would better know what to do with that money, then sure, go ahead.

I get that some people on time of use plans need/want more scheduling capability than allowed by the car. Those owners will benefit from a smart charger. Some owners electrical plans have different rate tiers based on peak power draw, so again I get the need for a smart charger.

If you just want a smart charger so you can look at the numbers, I'd argue you'd be better off buying a "dumb" charger and putting that money towards something else. The car will give you plenty of numbers to look at. Fordpass will actual KWh added with each charge session. Granted, that is going to be a little less than what comes out of the wall but there are pretty good estimates available for that difference.
Do you have a “ dumb charger “ that you would recommend? My Ford Mobile charger is getting flaky after 9 months of use.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Do you have a “ dumb charger “ that you would recommend? My Ford Mobile charger is getting flaky after 9 months of use.
I'm still using the Ford Mobile charger. Mine is about the same age as yours, and fingers crossed, is still working fine. GrizzlE makes a highly rated, reasonably priced dumb charger which would probably my first choice. Their smart charger is only $80 more, which surprised me, so maybe at that price difference it is worth it. The GrizzlE smart charger also has OCPP, which is a really cool feature but I'm not sure how many power companies support that yet. OCPP can take into account the overall demand on the grid and schedule charging to when it is favorable. Basically, similar to time of use, but uses real time data from the electric company instead of fixed time windows.

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
Wrong, Ford Pass only gives you %Charge added not kwh. Yes you can convert if you want. Juice Box 40 gives me kwh added and date. It gives you session totals and cumulative totals. I like to separate my EV usage from my household usage. Some EVSE units allow you to adjust the charge rate from the app, others you have to open to set dip switches, and some are not adjustable.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Fordpass lies all the time, way too much or way too little. Heck my last charge was 9.5kwh’s actual (per my OpenEVSE) but Fordpass says was 0. Lol. Honestly my main desire was to be able to remotely change my maximum current rate. I leave it nice and low at 24 amps until I have a legitimate need to charge faster.

nitinkumar00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Mach e
Country flag
I have ChargePoint and love it. I love the cable on it and even in freezing cold weather it will stay soft and bendable. Plus wanted to get the brand that actually has lot of chargers on the road as well and I believe it has better warranty as well. Also qualified for rebate with my utility company.
Sponsored