Mach E LG battery similarities to Bolt batteries?

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a Mach E premium AWD on order with scheduled production end of October. I’m really excited about it, but I am starting to get concerned with the Chevy Bolt fires and the fact that Ford hasn’t said anything. I also can’t find much information on the technical differences between the Mach E battery and the Bolt battery. The Munro tear down video sure points to the Mach E using a similar type pouch cell to the bolt that is also manufactured by LG Chem, which is concerning.

And yes, I know the statistics of fires vs ICE vehicles. I’m an EV infrastructure engineer and design EV fast charging facilities. But I also have small children that have a bedroom above my garage, and am being extra diligent. I may compromise and get the car anyway, but add some more fire detection systems to my garage.

Ford seems to be taking a very conservative approach to battery management (among other things) which is reassuring. However, I would feel a lot better if they went on the record explaining what they are doing to minimize similar fires, and if their design differs, how and why it matters from a safety standpoint. Unfortunately since the Mach E is still so new, and so few have been delivered, relying purely on the statistics of “zero fires” is not necessarily sufficient.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One important thing about the Mach E batteries in this regard is the different design Ford used. Watch the video Sandy did with Mach E Chief Engineer Donna Dickson

They discuss the differences between the pouch cells LG built for GM and the more modern design LG built for Ford. Ford also went with a plastic housing that allows for better inspection that the GM aluminum housing.

Reading the recent discussions of the Bolt batteries, there apparently were two separate and unrelated defects in some of the Bolt battery systems. Both had to be present in the same battery for their to be a problem (https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133853_lg-will-pay-gm-1-9b-for-chevy-bolt-ev-battery-recall). I'm not saying there is no concern but it would be hard for both to be replicated in the Mach E batteries.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
One important thing about the Mach E batteries in this regard is the different design Ford used. Watch the video Sandy did with Mach E Chief Engineer Donna Dickson

They discuss the differences between the pouch cells LG built for GM and the more modern design LG built for Ford. Ford also went with a plastic housing that allows for better inspection that the GM aluminum housing.

Reading the recent discussions of the Bolt batteries, there apparently were two separate and unrelated defects in some of the Bolt battery systems. Both had to be present in the same battery for their to be a problem (https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133853_lg-will-pay-gm-1-9b-for-chevy-bolt-ev-battery-recall). I'm not saying there is no concern but it would be hard for both to be replicated in the Mach E batteries.
All that.

And just in case, I put one of these in my garage over the MME.

Fire Angel 10 Year Heat Alarm

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thought the MME has batteries by SKI, not LG. In fact, there was a lawsuit over patent infringement.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mustang Mach E batteries are LG Chem, originally Korea, later Poland
F-150 Lightning batteries will be SK Innovations from the Georgia plant