Mach-E long-term storage instructions: would you disconnect the high-voltage battery?

Rory

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 2022 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I'm planning to store my car for about 6 weeks. The owner's manual says to have HV battery at about 50% and disconnect it (using the disconnect in the frunk). It seems to me that that is asking for trouble. Won't I be at risk of having the 12V battery drain down? What would I be protecting against by disconnecting the HV battery?
Sponsored

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
They mean disconnect the 12 V, not the HVB.

OP
OP

Rory

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 2022 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Oh. I thought they meant the low voltage service disconnect that deenergizes the HVBJB. Guess I misread it. For others who are wondering, this is what the manual states: "Additionally, we recommend disconnecting the 12v battery which will reduce system loads on the HV battery."

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Honestly it's not necessary, just park the car (leave unplugged) with between 40-60% battery and don't worry about it. Other people have parked them for 2+ months and it was totally a non-issue.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Two weeks to the Caribbean, the car did not even have a single percent drop. Another car was in a shop for almost a month and it was barely driven. It has some percent drops in a single digit. I would worry more about marks on garage floor if I have to leave it for a long period of time.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I was away for longer than anticipated over the holidays. I think the battery was around 80% when I left (I don’t recall for sure). I didn’t disconnect the LVB. I left the car unplugged, but also left the dash cam with its crash monitoring running (records only if there is a shock sufficient to trigger its sensor). I was gone for a month. A few days before my return FP notified me that the car had gone into deep sleep. When I returned home all was well. The door opened and car started right up without hesitation. There were no warnings on the IPC either. The HVB SOC has gone down 1%.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
This is my '21 GT PE stored since mid-Nov, likely won't come out until mid-April (5 months). I did the same last year with no issues. It goes into deep sleep and may only lose 1% charge every month at most. Basic instructions by Ford are to store at 50% state of charge. I live in Iowa with bad winters and even worse road treatment - incredible amount of salts, brine, & sand can wreak havoc on cars! This car has never been driven in rain or snow, keeping it pristine.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E long-term storage instructions: would you disconnect the high-voltage battery? 2023-02-11 Mustang Mach-E GT PE Storage IMG_3395.JPG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E long-term storage instructions: would you disconnect the high-voltage battery? 2021-08-28 Driveway Glamour IMG_8985.JPG